New version 15/Jan/2009 and Virtual Screen.

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Andre

New version 15/Jan/2009 and Virtual Screen.

Post by Andre »

Hi everyone,

I have just downloaded the latest version of DVC2. Dated 01/2009 on website and gives 15 Jan 2009 on the splash screen.

Not sure what has been changed yet, probably some bug fixes.

Also I have a bit more information about the virtual screen.
Which is accessed by the button on the menu bar that looks like a LCD Monitor, after the FX button.
This is also for use with a touch screen :)

When you click this you screen will go white and it looks like you can't do anything.
Well right click the screen and you will be given a context sesitive menu.
The menu shows th following options:-
    New
    Open
    Save
    Save As...
    Add button > Standard size
    Add button > Custom size
    Lock button position
    Background image > Load image...
    Background image > Remove image
    Full screen
    Change password
    Lock
    Exit

Now if you select the "Add button > Standard size" menu option you will see a square button appear on the screen under where you right clicked.

Each button also has a right click context sensitive menu. It has to be right clicked over the text part of the button
The menu has the following options:-
    Background picture > Load image...
    Background picture > Remove image
    Background colour
    Button size > Set default
    Button size > Restore original
    Button size > Fit to image
    DVC commands
    Rename
    Duplicate
    Delete

The powerful part of this is the "DVC commands" option. If you select that you will see a new dialogue box open.
This dialogue will allow you to select any of your scenes to run or any effects that you have created.
You can select the the button be a start/stop, start or stop.
You can create a list of commands for each button and every click of the button will take it to the next command in the list. It seems there is a bug with this as it seems to only play the last 2 scenes in the list.
To put what text you want on the button use the "Rename" option this also allows you to change the text colour.

If you choose to "Add button > Custom size" you will be presented with a cross hair cursor position where you want the button and click and drag to form the button/shape size you want. You cannot change the size afterwards other than right clicking the button and choosing "Button size > Set default" or "Button size > Fit to image" (if you have added an image to the button.

You can unlock a button and move it around to place it where you want.
Colour the button both background and text.

Have a play around see what you can do with it. It is good.

If you have a 2nd display attached if you right click the background and un-tick "Full screen" then you can resize the window, drag it to the 2nd screen and then make it full size there, so you can still easily use the Live page when running a show.

Thanks Vianney and the rest of the gang at Daslight.

This is something we all have been waiting for, we was hoping to be able to do this stuff on the live screen but this is even better.
Andre
Fidji

Yes, but...

Post by Fidji »

I'm just trying this feature, and it seems not to work at this time:

I've created a simple show with two PAR Led. 2 FX Buttons to have a RED and a GREEN.
Then, in the virtual Screen, creating two buttons, and assigning the correct (I guess) DVC Commands. But nothing happen. I've tried all the options, but nothing happen in the vizualiser.

Another bug: you can't access to the button sub-menu when you're not in Full Screen Mode...

Wish List:
1) For each button, to have the name of the button to follow the list of the stacked commands (but need to had a column in the "stack" window).
2) Need to have the possibility to resize a custom sized button...
3) I understand that this Virtual Screen was designed for touch-screen, but could it be possible to have a keyboard shorcut also (and Midi one)... ?

Thanks,

[Edit]:
Shame on me... I forget to activate the PARs before... So now it works. But another thing in the wish list: To have also a Fugitive function (Start / Start-Stop / Stop / Fugitive). Could be great !
Andre

Re: Yes, but...

Post by Andre »

Fidji wrote:I'm just trying this feature, and it seems not to work at this time:

I've created a simple show with two PAR Led. 2 FX Buttons to have a RED and a GREEN.
Then, in the virtual Screen, creating two buttons, and assigning the correct (I guess) DVC Commands. But nothing happen. I've tried all the options, but nothing happen in the vizualiser.

Another bug: you can't access to the button sub-menu when you're not in Full Screen Mode...

Wish List:
1) For each button, to have the name of the button to follow the list of the stacked commands (but need to had a column in the "stack" window).
2) Need to have the possibility to resize a custom sized button...
3) I understand that this Virtual Screen was designed for touch-screen, but could it be possible to have a keyboard shorcut also (and Midi one)... ?

Thanks,

[Edit]:
Shame on me... I forget to activate the PARs before... So now it works. But another thing in the wish list: To have also a Fugitive function (Start / Start-Stop / Stop / Fugitive). Could be great !

It's not a bug that you cannot access the button sub-menu. It is meant to be full screen for use on a touch screen, but obviously you can access it via mouse, because you need to resize to move to the other screen.

1) What if you had put a picture on it, you would not want text on then !!! What do you mean by the "stack" window.

2) Yes, this is a def to be able to re-size and existing button. Also should have someway of being able to enter a size for the button.

3) Why would you need to put a shortcut on the virtual screen when you can add it to the scene effect on the "Live" screen or in the "Editor". Midi control is also catered for in the "Editor" and "Live" screens.

What do you mean by "Fugitive", I have not heard of this.
Andre
Fidji

Post by Fidji »

OK, I understand for the Touch-Screen. But even in Full Screen Mode, it doesn't seems to work. I have to make more tests.

About the "Stack" function: when I say "Stack", i spoke about a function of "pile", or sequence but "button controlled". Imagine I have 10 scenes in the Live window, but always sequence them manualy with the "Go to next Button". In the live window, it takes 10 buttons (and so 10 names of buttons, by default: scene1, scene2, etc...)
The feature I speak about is to put all those 10 scenes in one button, but in "Virtual screen" mode, and when I click on this "stacked" button, I go to the next scene inside, and then, it would be a great option for the name of this button to follow the name of the actual played scene. Am I more clear ?

And because, in this case, it could be possible to have more than 1 "virtual Go to next scene", to have the possibility to assign a different shorcut or Midi control to this button.
Touch Screens are very nice to use, but quite expensive. In theatrical show, "real" buttons are sometimes better than a click. That's why Midi controler exists, no?

I have this reflexion about the virtual screen, because the Live Windows is not really customizable. You can't choose the order of the buttons, the size, the color, etc... (i.e. the FX buttons are always on the right of the screen... // I don't know if there is a solution to change the order of the groups in the editor view, etc..., No "Page" tabs (but the horizontal scroll can do the job)).
I'm not a LightJockey, but I'm working with directors, scenographics, etc.. And I will appreciate to have the choice in the organization of my workspace.

For the rest, I have to make a lot tests, but this soft is the first one I can practice with no big problem (I'm comming from "Trad"...)

I hope I have clarified my intentions.
And sorry if my english is sometimes.... frenchy.

Soon,
Andre

Post by Andre »

HI Fidji,

Firstly your English is absolutely fine, I have had no problem in understanding you at all. Just some of the terms you have used relating to the software.

I can understand what you mean by a "Stack" now, I can only get the last 2 scenes to play when using the virtual screen. I have tried to do more but it always seems to ignore them. Not sure what the limit is, but obviously it is some sort of bug. So I can now see the need for seeing what scene is playing from the one button.

I do not use a touch screen but do use the virtual screen with a mouse and yes I agree with you about the arranging of buttons on "Live" and the arranging of groups in the "Editor" it has been asked for over and over again but as of yet to no avail. Also teh ability to hide groups/buttons (I know I can minimise the group, but it is still their, for example :- at certain venues I cannot use my lasers due to height restrictions and not wanting to audience scan. So I minmise the groups associated with the lasers. It woud be nice to hide them completly).

Yes screen layout is very important, especially so for "Live" use and when I have nearly 500 scenes now, it does become a bit hectic in scrolling the page left/right to find a button I need to press.

To re-order your groups in the "Editor", this is how I do it.
Make a list of the "Groups" and their contents as they are now. (just incase).
Save the show and ensure that "Options>Auto Save (all min)" is not ticked. (Again just in-case you muck it up).
Make a list of the order you want your groups to appear in, and what scenes you want in each group and the order you want the scenes.
Create a "New Group" at the end of all other groups, just as a holder for some scenes if you need to make space. In fact you can create as many dummy groups as you like if it makes it easier in moving thing around.
Now find all the scenes that you want in your first group and select them using combinations of Ctrl & Shift with a left mouse click.
Now drag these as far as you can up the list of other groups/scene. It does not auto scroll so you will have to stop near the top of what ever is showing at the top of the screen. Drop them in there and then scroll the page up a bit. and repeat the dragging and dropping until you get the scenes in the place you want. Now move the scenes that are in this group that should not be there.
Go careful when moving scenes , if you move all the scenes in a group the group disappears. If you need the group to stay then create a new scene in there and do not move it.
Once you have all the scenes in the desired group you can rename the group by double clicking the name in the group header.

Just keep moving scenes around from group to group and renaming the group until you have all groups and scenes in the right order.

Check to ensure that jumps still go to the correct scene.

It is long winded but it does work.

If you are looking for external control then take a look at the Behringer BCF2000 midi interface, has sliders and buttons and pots. I have one of these and I need to dig it out again to check out how everything works now.
Or
Enttec External Wings and Enttec Midi Wing (allows the ethernet connected wings to send Midi signals or Keyboard (ASCII commands).
See http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_me ... ecmidiwing for the Enttec MIDI Wing from there you can see the other External control wings.
I have all three wings and I am in the process of getting the Midi Wing in the near future, so will report how it all works.

I hope that helps,
Andre
Fidji

Post by Fidji »

Thanks Andre, and yes it helps me !

Hope Daslight reads this topic. And then, wait for the (very) soon version, in wich the Virtual Screen would work like in our dreams. At this time, not usable in public live show.

Nice Tip for the groups. Ok, quite boring, but it works.
The DVC2 seems to be continuously developped. So, I'm not anxious about a soon improvement for the Live Window.

Nice boards, the Enttec ones. But a little too expansive for me for now.

I'm just preparing a show (6 different stages on 7 days festival)... First time for me to do such a job. So, I think I'm going to have some headache, but I know it will be very interesting. I will have a lot of "improvement request" I guess (I already have some, I will check in the forums before)...

Thanks again for your "lights"...