Fysica external Buttons

The new Daslight - for PC and Mac

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Tummy

Fysica external Buttons

Post by Tummy »

Hi all,

For a fixed instal, I use the DVC Gold, with 4 universes and a artnet connection.

By myself with controlling lights on events I use Avolites or GrandMA, but Daslight is a good bang for the buck for fixed installation.

I posted before that recently I got a lot of crashing now with the DVC software, but the venue is closed during winter so will be back on that with the crash reports later.

For now, I;m looking for a solution for external Physical pressing buttons to install in the DJ Booth.
Something Like big red emergency buttons that trigger a scene.

I know the functionality with the Dry contact ports.
But maybe is Midi a solution.

I did try this with a Midi pad, but in practice it always brake down with fluids in the dj booth etc.

I can create something with this,
connected to the Dry contact ports one by one, using 2,3,4 etc on the ports. and share the port 1 (ground).

But maybe someone has another solution that's existing.. instead of a custom made project.
What I simply want: some (big) buttons next to the dj, to trigger some cue's/playbacks like strobe/blinder etc.

Any tips?
S.lellwitz
Operating System: Windows

Re: Fysica external Buttons

Post by S.lellwitz »

Hey,
For such purposes I use an Elgato Stream Deck, which triggers my scenes via MIDI.
Tummy

Post by Tummy »

Does the Streamdeck & DVC also use the custom names/logo's on the Deck?
For example, The button Lights up when activated/goes out when De-activated?
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

Custom icons can be used on the Stream Deck for On and Off status.
Tummy

Post by Tummy »

Did order one unit to try.

Does the software talk back to the streaming deck, When its ON in the software, it's also ON on the streaming deck?

Because of, when its ON on the streaming deck, and I make a Adjustment in the touchscreen (turn off for example), it needs to go OFF on the streaming deck so its not confusing what's running and what's not.

Think I make 3/4 Psychical pressing buttons, (because its fun to slam on.. Like a Horn/Blinder/Strobo, and the streaming deck in front of the resident dj's to activate playbacks.
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

oh that's a good question.
I think so, but I'll check again.

So far I've only worked separately, i.e. scenes for the stream deck and scenes on the touch monitor.

let you know as soon as possible
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

So I just tested it.

What I forgot to mention, under Windows a third-party software is required to create a virtual MIDI cable, under Mac this is already available.

I already use the Bome Midi Translator Pro anyway, as it is suitable for many midi controllers, as Daslight is still a bit cumbersome.

There is good and bad news on the question of feedback from scenes that are triggered on a touch.

The bad thing is, for some reason you can't map a scene to touch and MIDI at the same time.

The good thing is that feedback from scenes from the DL Controll window to the stream deck is possible via the Bome midi translator.

Since I think your approach is very good, I sat down at the weekend and took a closer look at the whole thing again and would be happy to give you some feedback.

best regards
Tummy

Post by Tummy »

Thank you for the explanation, maybe I remove the windows machine there then, and install something like a Mac mini or something. With also a USB C connection.

The Windows PC that is there now, had a USB A socket to the USB C on the hardware.
In the past I had problems that the Ampere of the USB A socket is to low with more devices. Maybe here is also a problem that I have. That the hardware is losing connection.
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

@Tummy
did you send a PM?
I have an empty message from you
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

I looked again.
feedback works.

The feedback should also work without Bome midi translator, but requires some light coding, but I haven't tested it yet. There are instructions for the Streamdeck plugin.

About the USB thing.
You can also use the RJ45 to connect the interface to the PC
Tummy

Post by Tummy »

The feedback dont work here for 100%, if you can share me the plugin/settings that you're using with stream deck. And the midi in-out configuration I try that. would be helpful that buttons go 'off' (another icon) when de-selected in Daslight.
Now I got 32 midi channels instead of the standard 16 for the Streamdeck XL. By using Apple internal midi settings. By 'connected device' its the apple internal virtual midi controller.
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

I will try it.

First of all, the 16 Midi Channels are enough for you, as you can send the entire stream deck via one channel.
Only the On/Off notes are changed.

Since image upload doesn't work here, I'll write the settings for the Stream Deck button.

You need a Midi Note On/Off button with the settings:

Title: ------------
Channel: 1
Button Type: Toggle
Select Keys for: Notes, middle C = C4
Keys: 60(C4 (middle C))
(Keys is changed for each button)
Note Off Velocity: Same as Note On

Then a translation file must be created according to the instructions under the link.
(I haven't dealt with this yet because, as already mentioned, I use the Bome Midi Translator)

https://trevligaspel.se/streamdeck/midi ... ote-on-off

In Daslight you then have to go into the respective trigger settings of the scenes at MIDI outputs:

Channel: 1
Velocity: -1
Tummy

Post by Tummy »

Thank you, can you send it by email? the attachment
xxx

I'm really trying.. got the Streamdeck working with the buttons.. with the Simple on/off command. But my LCD's are the same because the command doesn't come back..

In ideal way,
I make the background white when on. Black when off. When I trigger that playback on/off within daslight. It goes on and off on the streamdeck. And the same with daslight when pressing the streandeck
Last edited by Tummy on Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

Email will arrive tomorrow afternoon.

It works perfectly for me now.

I can switch a scene in Daslight, in touch and on the stremdeck and get the status shown on all displays.

prepare something tomorrow and send it over.
Tummy

Post by Tummy »

I got it working now.

The problem was, my midi in & oud was the same, every time I got a midi loop.
I'm using the Mac midi daw.
1 bus for inputs.
1 bus for output.

Set the key right & velocity & note, and it's working now without external applications.

Thank you for your help