[BUG] 5.0.2 - Settings for Live Edit

The new Daslight - for PC and Mac

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

s.broeer
Operating System: Mac OS X

[BUG] 5.0.2 - Settings for Live Edit

Post by s.broeer »

Hello,

the settings for "Project - LIVE EDIT" doesn't work as expected in D4.

When you select "Reset live edit when new scene is striggered" this take effect on ALL live edit for ALL fixtures!
In D4, and that's the way it is useful, only the live edit for the bank / fixture you selected a new scene was reseted.

For example you run 2 scenes, one with moving heads and one with a laser. You edit live data for the moving heads. Then you select a new scene for the laser. And now all live edit for the moving heads is reseted.

It would be great if you could check and fix this with the next version.

Regards,
Stephan
Let there be light ...
Stephan
s.broeer

Re: [BUG] 5.0.2 - Settings for Live Edit

Post by s.broeer »

Any news on this?

Regards,
Stephan
Let there be light ...
Stephan
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

Hello,

could you please give me a feedback to this topic.
For me this is a very important feature as I often have to edit the scenes live to react to the music.

At the moment I switched back to D4 where this settings works as expected.

Regards,
Stephan
Let there be light ...
Stephan
juls

Post by juls »

Hello,

Did you try this option ?

Sans titre.jpg
Sans titre.jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 15625 times

Regards
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

juls wrote:Hello,
Did you try this option ?
Regards

Hello,

yes ... I've tried that option.
But this option will reset live data for all fixtures in all banks. And not only the live data for the fixtures in the bank where the new scene is triggered.

In D4 the reset of the live data only takes effect to the bank where the new scene is triggered. And that's the way that is useful!

Regards,
Stephan
Let there be light ...
Stephan
juls

Post by juls »

Ok I understand,
We will add this option.

Regards
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

Hi Juls,

that sounds good ... many thanks :D

Regards,
Stephan
Let there be light ...
Stephan
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

juls wrote:Ok I understand,
We will add this option.

Regards

Any news when we will get the new version?
Let there be light ...
Stephan
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

Unfortunately this feature / fix isn't available in the new version 5.0.3b of D5 :(

For me this is a really showstopper to use D5 for live edit!
Let there be light ...
Stephan
juls

Post by juls »

Hello,
I need more information because, in D4 there is no reset of "live data" when you select a new scene.
So can you explain what you would like to have.

Regards
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

Hey Juls,
of course I can explain it to you.

First of all, I would like to mention that the functionality of Live Edit in D4 was fixed and could not be selected.
From my point of view, Live Edit should work as follows, or be selectable.

I have several banks of scenes. For example, one bank has scenes for the MHs, another bank has scenes for the laser. Now I select a scene from each of the two banks. Then I change the color and the gobo of the scene with the MHs. Then I select another scene from the bank with scenes for the laser. If the Live Data setting in D5 is now set to "Reset live data when select new scene", then the Live Edit settings are also reset for the bank or scene with the MHs, even though I have only selected a different scene for the laser.

The "Reset Live Data" should therefore always refer only to the bank in which another scene is selected and not to all banks.

I hope I could explain the problem to you halfway understandable, and I would be really happy if this function is also available in D5 soon. Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,
Stephan
Let there be light ...
Stephan
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

Hi Juls,

any news on this topic?

Kind regards,
Stephan
Let there be light ...
Stephan
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

juls wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:50 am Hello,
I need more information because, in D4 there is no reset of "live data" when you select a new scene.
So can you explain what you would like to have.

Regards
Hi Juls,

no response to my post since I gave you the information you asked for!
Also no fix for this in the new version!

What's going on???
Let there be light ...
Stephan
willm

Post by willm »

Hey Stephan,

Thanks for your patience in this matter. I will be happy to look into this with you further, since for me- the behaviour appears to be identical in both D4 and D5 (so I may be misunderstanding of course!).

I will start by saying that the Live Edit data is not stored within a scene, it is stored as a static value outside of the scene. For example (this would be the case for D4 and D5 equally):

- You have 2 fixtures and 2 scenes.
- Scene 1 turns fixture 1 on to an open white beam.
- Scene 2 turns fixture 2 on to an open white beam.
- Activate both scenes in Live mode.

Now you can create some Live Edits, so you select the 1st fixture and begin adjusting the values (i.e. set only the RGB values so that the fixture illuminates Red (R255 G0 B0), then do the same in Green for the 2nd fixture (R0 G255 B0)). Now, if you:

- Turn off both scenes- both lights will appear off, but this is only because the Dimmer/Shutter/Iris/etc. channels are being set to their 'off' state. The RGB values however, will remain in their Live Edited state (R255 G0 B0 and R0 G255 B0). So you will see that none of the Live Edits data is being stored within the scenes at all, they are in fact stored as static global values and are accessible even with no selected scenes (for example if you deleted all scenes- so no scene is selected)- selecting the fixture will still show the Live Edit values.

For this reason, it may not be possible to implement this function as it would require a full rework of the Live Edit system. Perhaps it will be something that we can check in future editions of Daslight, though I can not confirm this at this point.

Perhaps there would be a suitable workaround that could be achieved by mapping the 'Reset selected beams' button for each fixture (i.e. to a Touch button, to a MIDI control, or a Keyboard mapping, etc.)- but in terms of automating this with your scene selection, I can not think of any real solutions at this moment in time unfortunately.

Hopefully this all makes sense and apologies once again for the delay in our response- if you have any further questions regarding this please do let us know! :)

Kind regards,
Will
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

Hello Willm,

sorry for me late response. I was out of the office for a few days.
So ... I think we're talking about different things.

I will try to explain the problem to you again using an example. First I like to say that in the DL5 settings under "Project" for "Live edit" the option "Reset live data when new scene is triggered" is chosen.

I have a bank with complete scenes from Beam, Color, MoveFX, etc. for my moving heads. I will call this bank Bank1 below.
Then I have another bank with scenes for my lasers. I will call this bank Bank2 below. Now I start a scene from Bank1 and a scene from Bank2.

Now I make changes via the fixture faders of the moving heads. I change the color, the gobo and pan/tilt speed. If I now start a new scene for the lasers in Bank2, the live changes to the moving heads are reset, even though I have only selected a new scene in Bank2 and not a new scene in Bank1.

I have also checked this behavior again with the latest release of DL4. Here, the changes in Live Edit are only reset for the bank in which a new scene is also selected.And this is exactly the behavior I expect and which makes sense. The current behavior in DL5 does not make sense, regardless of which of the two possible settings you choose.

And for my purposes, this is also a big disadvantage when working with DL5, which is why I hope that this will be fixed soon and that it will work again as it did in DL4. Otherwise, even if I hate to say it, I unfortunately only have the option of switching to other software ...

Kind Regards,
Stephan
Let there be light ...
Stephan