DVC2 512 IP

512 In, 512 out or 2x512 out. Stand Alone memory (512 out)

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Deejay_Bamse

DVC2 512 IP

Post by Deejay_Bamse »

Maby not the right part of the forum... But I hope anyone can answer a little fast...
Im looking at the IP version of DVC2....
Have anyone bought it?
Works good?
Works with a Twisted cable straight into a PC...
Works with a WLAN and a LapTop?

Please answer fast because of an order is on the way...
Andre

Post by Andre »

I think you should have done some home work and looked through the forum. I don't think it's working properly yet. Someone has one and the software does not detect the interface and has said he has to wait for some software for it !!!!!!!.

I think you need to use a "twisted cable" crossover cable if connected direct to the laptop/computer, otherwise on a hub/switch on a LAN. If that LAN is a WLAN that should also work.

Take a look at the Sunlite manuals, same hardware but has code in them to stop working with other software, i.e. Sunlite interfaces work with the Sunlite software and the Daslight interfaces work with the Daslight software and not vice versa.
http://www.dmxsoft.com/manuals/?oem=SUNLITE&na=gY7
is the web address and then take the "SIUDI IP1 (2004 ETHERNET-DMX interface)" link on the left hand panel. SHould give you more info.
Andre
Deejay_Bamse

Post by Deejay_Bamse »

Yes I have read about that on the forum.. But that was almost the only thing I found about it... Is it that NEW?
Andre

Post by Andre »

Deejay_Bamse wrote:Yes I have read about that on the forum.. But that was almost the only thing I found about it... Is it that NEW?

It is for Daslight but has been with Sunlite for a while.
I am still not sure if the software to do the IP address change etc. is available for the Daslight version. It might be that you get it when you purchase the interface, but I would definately check first if you can get hold of someone from Daslight.
Andre
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

The IP interface has been discontinued from the Daslight range because it was too similar to the product offered by our Sunlite company. Check out the Sunlite Easy Stand Alone IP interface.
Dave_DMX

DVC2 IP 512 Interface

Post by Dave_DMX »

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for sharing the Daslight Company line about the discontinuance of the IP Interface. If this were true, I would still have the Daslight IP Interface. However, the problems encountered were more significant than simply being similar to the Sunlite Interface.

I look forward to more candid information in the future.

Best Regards.
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

can anyone please clarify what are the advantages of having a DMX dongle run off a network / hub. why would this be an advantage.?

or is this not what the IP version would be for?
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

I can't quite remember what the exact specs were for the Daslight IP.

The main use for the Sunlite EasyStandAlone IP interface is to update the internal memory over IP. So if you have an install at the other end of the country (or over in another continent if you do international projects) and the bar manager calls you up and says he needs some modifications to be made, you can send your showfile over the internet and write directly to the interface.

The second use is as an art-net to DMX converter. Once you're sending DMX over ethernet, you have a variety of advantages.

Ethernet gear is generally cheaper than DMX gear, i.e repeaters, splitters etc...
Better data integrity (it is designed for more complex data packets than DMX)
You can pass up to 40 universes (well, 30 reliably) down one ethernet line.

So basically, say you have a bar with 6 rooms and a hell of a lot of lights, you could take 6 universes out of your computer, pass this through a router, disperse it out to 6 different locations, then attach 6 IP interfaces to convert back to DMX.
Dave_DMX

IP Interface Performance

Post by Dave_DMX »

Just an additional comment on the question of choosing an IP Interface.

My reason for selecting the IP Interface (Ethernet) over a USB version had to do with the system differences I anticipated encountering:

1. OPERATING SYSTEMS. I have a Laptop using Vista Premium Home Edition 64 Bit operating system as well as Computers using Vista Basic Home Edition and Windows XP Service Pack 3 operating system, both 32 Bit operating systems. With the IP Interface resident on a local area network, any of the operating systems could address the IP Interface.

2. WIRELESS LAN. With the IP Interface, the use of a Wireless LAN could be accommodated. As noted a Virtual Private Network (VPN) would permit access via the internet from locations other than the local theater or office. and

3. ADDITIONAL CAPACITY. The IP Interface provides a less expensive interface as our need for multiple lighting control interfaces grew.

Trust this is of assistance.
Andre

Post by Andre »

They have now removed the Daslight version from their product range because of the Sunlite version.

A real shame that as I am sure DMX over Ethernet is the future :(
Andre