Universe Limit in DVC3 3D?

Real-time 3D simulation

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

jfetter

Universe Limit in DVC3 3D?

Post by jfetter »

Hello, I am new to this forum but not Daslight, I've been using the older DVC2 product for several years. I was happy to see the new version and like the new features and appearance but very disappointed to see an apparent limit on the use of multiple universes in the visualizer without a hardware interface being present.

As a former LD (from many, many years past!), I got into using the visualizer as a way to stay in the field of lighting design while not being able to do it for a living anymore. Back in my day there was no software for lighting and though I have been a computer programmer for 30+ years and would have loved to use software like this back when I was an LD, computer technology just wasn't up to the task.

So imagine my excitement when I found DVC2 and the 3D visualizer, great stuff and a good way to play with million dollar rigs without having the means to do so otherwise. I am sad to see the limitation of 1U in the new product and while I (of all people, being a software programmer) understand the desire to make a living, forcing users to have your hardware is missing out on a facet of the product I think you could capitalize on.

I will never have the opportunity to setup an 8 universe, 80+ VariLite show in the "real world" but I can in DVC3, and though my personal use will likely never include controlling actual hardware, I could still be thought of as a potential customer. If you offered a way to enable the 3D visualizer as a licensed feature, an along with it, a stand-alone, non-hardware connected licensing fee, I would certainly be willing to purchase it. Of course the price would need to be right given it would be a virtual-only feature but the days of software like this only be used in the industry are gone and you should very much consider the potential new audience, like me ;-)

BTW, I am a serious user, here is a large show I did in DVC2 back in 2009 to Pink Floyd's "One of these Days", I'd love to see what kind of cool scenes and movement I could add with DVC3!

"http://www.flylowandfast.com/Files/Video/Lighting/Daslight - Monster 09.12.12 (HD 720).wmv"

Regards,

Jack
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hi Jack

The visualiser has a limit of 4 universes whether you have an interface connected or not. Make sure you're using the latest December beta of DVC3 as this may have been a bug in an earlier version.

p.s. the video looks great!
jfetter

Post by jfetter »

Odd, I am only seeing DMX activity on the first universe, I assumed that was the limit? Is there any way I can easily find the issue or update the DMX mapping? The file was created and works fine in DVC2's visualizer but in DVC3 I see only the first universe lighting when I bump any presets. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Regards,

Jack
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

If you have this problem with the latest DVC3 and 3D version, e-mail me your DVC3 show and 3D files and I will check.
jfetter

Post by jfetter »

simonB wrote:If you have this problem with the latest DVC3 and 3D version, e-mail me your DVC3 show and 3D files and I will check.

The newest release of DVC3 solves this problem, thank you guys!

Jack