DO NOT update to 5.0.4

The new Daslight - for PC and Mac

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

richardc1983
Operating System: Windows

DO NOT update to 5.0.4

Post by richardc1983 »

It's ruined my shows. The DMX outputs are behaving erratically whenever I open the file. Easy View simply displays the color wheels or gobo wheels scrolling endlessly without any control. I have four Chauvet Intimidator Scan 360 fixtures in one of my shows, but other fixtures in my other shows are experiencing the same issue albeit different outputs.

This software is beyond disappointing. I paid a fortune to upgrade to DL5, yet I'm constantly encountering issues, and each new version seems to break something else. The screenshots below illustrate the DMX output, where nothing is turned on, no buttons are pressed, and no sliders are activated. This same problem reflects on the lights themselves.

I've reached my limit. Why don't you prioritise fixing existing issues instead of introducing new ones? It feels like there's no testing done on what you release.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-05 185800.png
Screenshot 2024-04-05 185800.png (209.39 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Screenshot 2024-04-05 185821.png
Screenshot 2024-04-05 185821.png (236.46 KiB) Viewed 648 times
chrischris
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: DO NOT update to 5.0.4

Post by chrischris »

richardc1983 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:38 pm It's ruined my shows. The DMX outputs are behaving erratically whenever I open the file. Easy View simply displays the color wheels or gobo wheels scrolling endlessly without any control. I have four Chauvet Intimidator Scan 360 fixtures in one of my shows, but other fixtures in my other shows are experiencing the same issue albeit different outputs.

This software is beyond disappointing. I paid a fortune to upgrade to DL5, yet I'm constantly encountering issues, and each new version seems to break something else. The screenshots below illustrate the DMX output, where nothing is turned on, no buttons are pressed, and no sliders are activated. This same problem reflects on the lights themselves.

I've reached my limit. Why don't you prioritise fixing existing issues instead of introducing new ones? It feels like there's no testing done on what you release.
I see that you're on Windows, and indeed the technique of switching to the previous version of easyview to get around the problem only works on Mac, impossible to fix the problem on Windows ....
As far as I'm concerned, the only positive thing I can see about this new version (for the moment) is that it seems to be more stable than the previous one. To give you an example, 5 hours of programming a day for a week meant 4 to 5 software crashes each time (per day).
I'd like to point out that I had fewer bugs on Windows than on Mac OS.

I'm currently setting up a stage setup to use daslight in complete autonomy (including audio and lights), so I'm testing this software from top to bottom to write my lightshow and make sure I can buy the DVC gold without regret. And to be honest, I'm not very reassured about the software's stability; What do I do if it crashes when I've got between 500 and 1000 people in the audience; I ask you??? it can't happen, and ... it mustn't happen .... POINT!

A friend of mine recommended the "sweetlight" software, personally I'm not a fan, but if there's one thing it's famous for, it's its stability. I was able to test it for several days, and it's true that bugs are almost non-existent, and their community is very active too.
On the other hand, the interface is just horrible, the factory fixtures are very limited and much less is offered.

Message to the gentlemen at daslight:

In fact, your software is great, the workflow is very pleasant, you've got a little jewel in your hands and you can be proud of it. But you really need to review the coding of your versions before releasing them, it's not very professional to release updates and find bugs that didn't exist before...
When I discovered and read the forum, I discovered that a lot of users were unhappy about problems that recurred version after version .... I read on your website that you exist since 1987, but we are in 2024 ... and problems like having bugs between two software packages from the same company that are supposed to work together "easyview and daslight" not to mention them, how can that be possible 37 years later ???

What you need to take into account when designing your software is that no artistic show can accept a single failure; whether it's scenic, audio or lightshow, everything is parameterized from A to Z and worked on upstream so that nothing goes wrong on "D-Day", so it seems logical and important to me that your software should live up to your ambitions.

As far as I'm concerned, your software would be ideal for what I want to do in the coming months, and I'd have found my "grail"... or almost!

So I'm going to test Daslight and its new version for a few more days (on my Mac, since it's dead on Windows for the time being) and see if I don't end up with another crash like the last few days. Then I'll decide whether to part with 449 euros and make sure I don't have to grit my teeth for fear of a software incident on concert days.
richardc1983

Post by richardc1983 »

While the user interface and programming function well in terms of process flow and are enjoyable to use when functioning properly, the company's lack of professionalism and apparent failure to test new releases is concerning.
UNITevents

Post by UNITevents »

They really need to step up their game. This release is more than dissapointing. Waiting several months and then get a version which is full of bugs.
s.broeer
Operating System: Mac OS X

Post by s.broeer »

Same for me!
None of the issues I posted here in the forum was fixed in version 5.0.4!

Also there are several problems during the install process and the language selection is buggy.
For example you select "German" and the program is still in english after a restart. You select "Spain" and the program is in german after a restart.

That's definitely not that I have expected after such a long time waiting for a new version ...
Let there be light ...
Stephan
willm

Post by willm »

Hello all,

Thank you for your reports! We are aware that there is a new issue present in version 5.0.4 regarding communication with the 3D visualiser which we missed in testing and for that, I can only apologise. I have taken lots of notes from your messages and will be reporting all of this back to the team this week so we can look to improve on a number of things on our side.

For now, I will provide a link below to the previous version 5.0.3.1 whilst we work on resolving this issue:

Mac: https://eu-software.n-g.co/Version/Dasl ... 593937.dmg
Win: https://eu-software.n-g.co/Version/Dasl ... 396558.exe

Kind regards,
Will
richardc1983

Post by richardc1983 »

Will, we really need better. This is not good enough, no bugs fixed that many have reported, nothing new. I suppose you are working on DL 6 though which we will have to pay for.
willm

Post by willm »

Hi Richard,

I totally understand the frustration, rest assured I will personally be seeing to make improvements so that we make sure we do everything we can to avoid this happening in the future.

I am currently browsing through the forum to build a full report to the team, but in case I miss anything do feel free to send me a direct message with links to any forum posts that I should pay particular attention to.

Kind regards,
Will
DJMan32

Post by DJMan32 »

willm~ :"Update on scenes by group?" lots of interest

personally: the auto scene customization

midi bind to touch buttons

and control/bind to midi multiple scene's dimmer, size, speed, and fade speed at the same time
SkyGypsy

Post by SkyGypsy »

Willm,

if you're gathering notes...

https://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=8107

https://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=8834

Add to that, working with 5.0.4 this past weekend, there may be some wonkyness with the strobe function on multibeam fixtures as well, similar to the dimmer behavior reported. As I was working a show, I really don't have concrete data points, but it sticks out in my memory.

Another major thing that just ain't quite right. Import scene(s). The old method from D4 was ideal. You could import as few or as many as you wanted and put them where you wanted. As it is currently in D5, it just imports the entire file. Granted, I can just drag what I need at that point, and delete the rest, but that's a rather clunky workaround, especially for files that have many banks of lots of scenes.

---Using BeatGo to be able to step through a superscene is awesome, btw, thank you all for that. It opens up a whole new avenue of programming capabilities that I have thought about since you started talking about the superscene.

Thanks, Mark
LionsMane Sound & Light
willm

Post by willm »

DJMan32 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:32 pm willm~ :"Update on scenes by group?" lots of interest

personally: the auto scene customization

midi bind to touch buttons

and control/bind to midi multiple scene's dimmer, size, speed, and fade speed at the same time
Thanks for sharing! I believe we have spoken on Facebook messenger regarding these notes. I have sent you a message there with some more information from my side regarding all of this if you are able to check :)

SkyGypsy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:48 pm Willm,

if you're gathering notes...

https://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=8107

https://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=8834
Thank you for this, I have read through and made some notes of suggestions which will be considered for future updates of Daslight.
SkyGypsy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:48 pm Add to that, working with 5.0.4 this past weekend, there may be some wonkyness with the strobe function on multibeam fixtures as well, similar to the dimmer behavior reported. As I was working a show, I really don't have concrete data points, but it sticks out in my memory.
This is interesting, would you please be able to send some more information on the fixture(s) you are using to reproduce this behaviour? As well as any steps that I can take to try and reproduce the issue on my end that would be greatly helpful.
SkyGypsy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:48 pm Another major thing that just ain't quite right. Import scene(s). The old method from D4 was ideal. You could import as few or as many as you wanted and put them where you wanted. As it is currently in D5, it just imports the entire file. Granted, I can just drag what I need at that point, and delete the rest, but that's a rather clunky workaround, especially for files that have many banks of lots of scenes.
Thank you for this, I have noted this down and will feed this information back to the team.

Kind regards,
Will
richardc1983

Post by richardc1983 »

Hi Will

I requested that we get more pre defined shapes in the effects generator, how about a figure of 8, this cannot be created for scanners with a circle easily. Moving heads do a figure of 8 by default if they are not restricted on the pan and tilt but if they are forward-facing only they won't do a figure of 8.

The effects generator is seriously lacking... nothing new to it since DL4 really.
pietia

Post by pietia »

You can create 8 shape movemwnt easily from the square shape. Of course there will be one drawback this shape can be a little bit squared (but only as drawed). The outcome will looks like 8 shape.
willm

Post by willm »

richardc1983 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:05 pm Hi Will

I requested that we get more pre defined shapes in the effects generator, how about a figure of 8, this cannot be created for scanners with a circle easily. Moving heads do a figure of 8 by default if they are not restricted on the pan and tilt but if they are forward-facing only they won't do a figure of 8.

The effects generator is seriously lacking... nothing new to it since DL4 really.
Thanks Richard, I will make a note of this and report the suggestion for consideration in future updates. For now, I have attached a video demonstrating a potential workaround for creating Figure 8 effects using Scanner fixtures (via the Curve FX):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DIPxzO ... sp=sharing

Kind regards,
Will
richardc1983

Post by richardc1983 »

pietia wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:30 pm You can create 8 shape movemwnt easily from the square shape. Of course there will be one drawback this shape can be a little bit squared (but only as drawed). The outcome will looks like 8 shape.
Not on scanners, the scanner will follow the lines of the square, even my moving heads do the same it's not smooth at all.

There needs to be more options, you shouldn't have to think, how will I produce an 8 movement etc.