MIDI APC40 MKII Switching Mode ?

The new Daslight - for PC and Mac

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Raptor82
Operating System: Windows

MIDI APC40 MKII Switching Mode ?

Post by Raptor82 »

Hi!

There are several posts that talk about problems with MIDI interfaces but I couldn't find a topic about my problem.

I have an APC40 MKII MIDI controller that I was already using on DasLight 4, I learned that this controller had 3 operating modes:
-Generic (MODE 0)
- Ableton Live (MODE 1)
-Alternate Ableton Live (MODE 2)

By default, the controller launches in MODE 0 (Generic) and allows some additional functionality compared to other MODEs (if it is used only in MIDI and not for Ableton Live).

apc generic mode.jpg
apc generic mode.jpg (230.53 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
apc mode 2.jpeg
apc mode 2.jpeg (234.07 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

On Daslight 4, the operating mode of the controller doesn't change and remains in default (generic mode), on the other hand, on Daslight 5, it automatically switches to MODE 2 when the software is launched and I have no way of changing it.

resolume midi.png
resolume midi.png (115.23 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

I know for example that on the Resolume Arena software, I have the possibility to change mode in the parameters, is there a way to do the same thing on Daslight 5?

Gordon
juls

Re: MIDI APC40 MKII Switching Mode ?

Post by juls »

Hello,
Actually it's not possible to change the mode in D5.

Which functionnality would you like to use ?
Raptor82

Post by Raptor82 »

juls wrote:Hello,
Actually it's not possible to change the mode in D5.

Which functionnality would you like to use ?

I would like to use my controller the same way I used it on Daslight 4, with the controller's default mode (generic mode).

This notably gives the possibility of using the 8 potentiometers on the side of the controller with 64 different MIDI values rather than the 8 values of MODE 2.
juls

Post by juls »

Hello,

The 8 potentiometers on the side send the same data with the 2 modes.
The only difference is that in ableton alternate live mode the LED can be controlled by the software, it's why DVC5 use this mode.

Regards
MikeMod

Post by MikeMod »

Hey Raptor82,

Yes you can switch the mode of the APC40 MKII, but you will need another software to do that.
If you ever heard about it, for example with MIDI Bome Translator you can change the mode of the APC. I think, there will be similar software, but I`m allready done this there, because it`s my tool for programming controllers out of the box :)
I need to change the mode too, because I worked on a project where I needed to get the Ableton Mode for other purposes of the APC.

If you wanna have a straight generic mode of the APC you will need to write a SysEx in BOME or similar MIDI software which can handle this and init it, before you route the APC to Daslight.

Routing is:
APC40 MKII straight to a virtual Port: example Bome Translator 1

You would need to use the following SysEx code:

F0 47 7f 29 60 00 04 pp 09 07 01 f7

Where:
pp = 40 for mode 0 (the default - Generic Mode)
pp = 41 for mode 1 (Ableton Live Mode)
pp = 42 for mode 2 (Alternate Ableton Live Mode)

For example:

The 8 Track Selector:

In Generic Mode they each of them send: 8 MIDI Messages at once:

Track 1: Ch. 1 CC16 till CC23 with value 0.
Track 2: Ch. 2 CC16 till CC23 with value 0.
Track 3: Ch. 3 CC16 till CC23 with value 0.
and so on...

If I switch to Ableton Mode each of them send unique MIDI messages:

Track 1: Ch. 1 Note 51 value 127 - NoteOn/NoteOff (Push/Release)
Track 2: Ch. 2 Note 51 value 127 - NoteOn/NoteOff (Push/Release)
Track 3: Ch. 3 Note 51 value 127 - NoteOn/NoteOff (Push/Release)
and so on....

So if you see. You can change the mode of the APC but you will need make some workarounds descripted before :D
Picture example what I did:

Push Track Selector 1:

Using Mode 0 do this:
Mode 0.png
Mode 0.png (19.68 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
Using Mode 1 do this:
Mode
Mode
Mode 1.png (8.91 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
Catlopez03

Post by Catlopez03 »

I was having problems mapping ceratin keys as well. Am i experiencing the profile issue as well?

I'm having trouble mapping the Beat/Bar keys on the APC40 mk2. They are not mapped to anything, but they stay lit up and when i try to map them I don't get any feedback from the Midi Mapping menu.

Also, I have a problem with mapping the track selection, A/B, S,Recordd and hard click buttons. On those I have to press them 3 times for it to completely work.

So, it goes 1st click activates the scene, 2nd click does nothing, and 3rd click turns of the scene. It's annoying as i just want them to function as the other buttons with a click once for on and off.

What profile would i need to use for them to just simply be on off buttons for scenes?
Karson Durgan

Post by Karson Durgan »

Test the APC40 MKII with a different software or DAW Tomb of the Maskto determine if the issue is specific to DasLight 4 or if it persists across different applications.
MikeMod

Post by MikeMod »

Catlopez03 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:09 pm I was having problems mapping ceratin keys as well. Am i experiencing the profile issue as well?

I'm having trouble mapping the Beat/Bar keys on the APC40 mk2. They are not mapped to anything, but they stay lit up and when i try to map them I don't get any feedback from the Midi Mapping menu.

Also, I have a problem with mapping the track selection, A/B, S,Recordd and hard click buttons. On those I have to press them 3 times for it to completely work.

So, it goes 1st click activates the scene, 2nd click does nothing, and 3rd click turns of the scene. It's annoying as i just want them to function as the other buttons with a click once for on and off.

What profile would i need to use for them to just simply be on off buttons for scenes?
Hey Catlopez03,

for sure you can use all the buttons for only one mapping. You would need to change the APC 40 MKII to the mode 2 (alternative Ableton generic mode)

If you are not familiar to do that, check this youtube video how to use SysEx. (It is especially with the Bome MIDI Translator)
for sure you can use all MIDI Software which can handle SysEX for sending out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri4VC3Z1i0U

Do the following steps:

Close Daslight
Open Bome MIDI Translator

At time on Video:
1:06 - Steve use as Input Bome Virtual Midi 1 (you need Timer and timer name init
and output APC40 MKII (see picture Set Mode APC 40 MKII)

At Time 1:36 He shows, how to use RAW Midi Message (SysEX) what we need.

Copy the following Snippet and paste it where he shows: (Picture Set Mode APC 40 MKII)
F0 47 7f 29 60 00 04 42 09 07 01 f7

Route the APC 40 MKII to Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out (see picture Routing)

Now you need an init (run the mode) you have two options:
Picture "manual" is init by pressing key ESC or init by starting project (picture "auto")

Than run the MIDI software while click to run in the right top corner (if you run you should see the following picture "Run")
And if you choosed ESC to init, you need to press ESC after Run the Translator otherwise, if you use auto. Save and open again and run.

If you made all right. You will see on the APC if you press solo, the button is momentary, not toggle anymore. If you press A/B no yellow/orange you will be see. (you will not be able to see LED feedback) if you want you can make in the routing a straight APC to APC routing aswell than you will see LEDs by triggering

Open Daslight, go to Midi preferences and checkmark Bome MIDI Translator 1 > Input. for LED feedback routing with BOME.

Without Bome: Checkmark APC 40 MKII > Input

You are done.

NOTE: After changing the mode in Bome you do not need Bome anymore, the APC is set up to the mode you choosed. To change again. Follow the steps I descripted in the post in the top
with the values you would need to change in the SysEX.
Attachments
Auto
Auto
Auto.png (67.56 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Manual
Manual
Manual.png (53.07 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Set Mode
Set Mode
Set Mode APC40 MKII.png (64.23 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Last edited by MikeMod on Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
MikeMod

Post by MikeMod »

And the both other pictures :)
Attachments
Routing
Routing
Routing.png (114.69 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Run
Run
Run.png (112.89 KiB) Viewed 62 times