synchronising light to sound

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

marc

synchronising light to sound

Post by marc »

I'am using my DVC2gold for a while now but just to add light to the music i play (mobile DJ setup) using the live buttons.

Now they asked me to create a show.
This means +/- 1 hour music (1 track which i will create) and therefore some lighteffects. This has to play continuously, and automaticaly.

Does someone has eny experience with this? I know i can assign this track to an effectbutton but how can i set up an synchronised gig? Can this be done with daslight.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Marc
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hi

What do you want to use to trigger your lighting scenes?

The best way would probably be to create a group of scenes for each track and activate the first scene in the group manually when you start the track or by a midi message if your music player supports this.

Automatic audio/lighting sync is limited in Daslight, if you needed something more powerful, Sunlites EasyShow allows you to drag & drop audio and video files onto a timline. You can then drag & drop lighting scenes created with Sunlite Suite. You can set up scenes in Sunlite to trigger the shows, or connect to a MIDI TimeCode feed.
Andre

Post by Andre »

This is not aimed at your simonB, as I know you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

simonB wrote:...Automatic audio/lighting sync is limited in Daslight,...

Thought Daslight DVC2 was meant to be for "Disco", then why such poor Sound 2 Light ?

In fact why such poor everything.

Again more "Buy Sunlite adverts as Daslight not good enough."

What a joke this software has turned out to be.

Get FreeStyler (works with DVC2 gold interface) or ChamSys MagicQ or any other program except Daslight or Sunlite.

Delete this message, ban me, delete me, do what you like, will not solve the problems with this software or the way you are alienating your clients, but maybe that is what you want, not enough of a market for Daslight and Sunlite !!!!!!!!

Vent over.
Andre
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

I think you might be onto something there Andre
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
Bruno Falip

Post by Bruno Falip »

Daslight is a simple software, easy to understand and powerful enough for what is has been made for. We are always trying to add new features when it is possible and when we think it will be an improvement for all our customers. Our software is used by thousands of people worldwide, maybe it is not perfect and we always do our best to improve it.

To finish, If you do not agree with that and are too simple minded to understand it, then I am sorry to tell you that I will personally delete your account from this forum and make sure there is no longer any place for you here.

You do not like the product, ok, I can understand and respect that but I will never leave someone being impolite on this forum. I hope it is clear enough! I have been working on this market for 10 years and know more people than you could ever imagine all over the world. I am known for someone respectable and you will never not find a single person who can complain on my attitude so here is my decision and the end of this lose of time.
vclighting

Post by vclighting »

SimonB and Bruno,

I am a recent purchaser of the DasLight controller. I had compared the DasLight and SunLight products, as well as others. The evaluation had been unfortunately quick, but I had made my decision after seeing a possible glimmer of hope when several updates had been posted on DasLight in a relatively short period. I had determined that the DasLight product had promise, and was much more intuitive than the SunLight and other offerings. Nothing in the web stated that DasLight was better for club and SunLight better for stage productions. Even the literature and box printing on my DVC2-512 states "For all your DMX lighting projects" and "Architectural/Install/DJ/Club/Mobile/Stage/Theater/Rental". It just seems that more often than not, DasLight personnel keep telling DasLight users that request new functionality that they should change to SunLight. Worse even, that change isn't cheap, even though the hardware could most definitely theoretically be flashed to operate with the other software.

It just seems to let more air out of power users when they are told that there are no major changes coming soon, and functionality will actually be removed from the software in future releases. I feel rather disappointed after reading the latest posts tonight...
marc

Post by marc »

SimonB and Bruno

I have to agree with Vclighting. I also bought DVC2gold after prospecting prices and possibilities.

What Andre concerns.
After buying the daslight, i had some questions on how to use it. Before SimonB was seen on this forum most of the answers i got came from Andre. (thanks again) At that time there was not much reaction (Vianey) from daslight.

I understand that he's tired (as I am too) to hear that we better buy Sunlite. (Changing now is a bit expencive.)
He's spend a lot of time in helping newbies and in that way promoting the Daslight software. But I agree that everyone on a forum has to be polite.

Anyway, I still like daslight for what it is. Let us only hope that the suggestions we make (and get answers from SimonB) are taken in considiration for further updates. If free software like Freestyler has a 'total dimmer' and better sound to light, i can only hope that this is one of the things we see comming in the future.
So don't let Daslight

So let us use this forum to help the users and bring suggestions to the developers.

Greetings

Marc (B)
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Yes, Daslight is in need of some new sound to light features. I've made a point of this with the developers. Some changes are being made regarding the marketing, I hope to hear more soon on this matter.
Bruno Falip

Post by Bruno Falip »

We will not forget Daslight, we just need time to think about the software and add the right features.
Sunlite Suite 2 took almost 2 years to get ready, it is a long time, I understand it, but it worth it I guess.
Andre

Post by Andre »

I apologise for anything I have said, that has upset anyone associated with Daslight, Sunlite and related company or its products.

I am sorry.

It will not happen anymore, it is most unlike me.

I am afraid I have got really frustrated with what has been happening with the Daslight product over the last good few months and maybe longer.

As I have said I love the product but not having certain features has limited its potential, which is a real shame and then get told that features are more than likely to be removed rather than added.

I can fully understand the need to consolidate the position of DVC2 and the direction the company needs to take the product but please be aware of the existing customers needs as well as the companies position regarding this software.

@Bruno Falip - No one has said you have said to buy Sunlite product but it has been mentioned quite a few times across this forum. As for Sunlite Suite 2 I have downloaded the demo of that and like it's predecessor I find it completely un-usable, I do not have a clue on how to create a show using that software. Now please do not say "I am too simple minded to understand it.", I regularly use 5 other lighting software control programs and can create shows with them. I also use a variety of hardware lighting desks, so it is not that I cannot understand how to create shows or use different software, but just cannot understand the Sunlite Suite (2). It was the most expensive paper weight I have ever purchased, but at least I can use the interface as an "IN" from my lighting desks and/or other software so can then use "Magic 3D EasyView" for a easy to use visualiser.
I know it's not really the place to ask but could a true step by step tutorial be created on Sunlite Suite (2) from an empty show, patching fixtures, creating cues/scenes etc. midi S2L, etc. to playback and control of the fixtures/cues/scenes including theatre, busking, DJ/Disco and other live enviroments. Not just a video version of certain features as that is not really a tutorial, just a video version of a reference manual. Reference manuals are fine as long as you understand how the whatever works in the first place but need to know how a certain feature works in more detail.
Andre
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hey Andre

http://www.nicolaudie.com/tutorials/suite2/

Look at the quick start section. This section is not a reference manual, it is a step by step tutorial to start a show.

The problem with Suite 2 at the moment is that it is not finished. The default view has not been decided, so when you open the software, everything pops up and it's a bit scary, but it is really not difficult to use and is actually very similar to Daslight.

Just imagine you're making a daslight show but you only have the Live screen and instead of going to the editor screen you select a button and click edit. Imagine the scenes are daslight scenes, the switches are daslight effects and the cycles are daslight groups. A page for each fixture type, a Master page to control everything.
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

So I have a question Simon , If we all like the new sunlite suite 2 software, and are wanting to go on to it, as you say it does seem to have all the features we are asking for, can you not provide us with an upgrade file for our daslight interfaces? so we don't have to buy another interface for Sunlite, especially as it appears you are all the same company.

Actually for reference what is the company structure.

DMXsoft - Daslight -Nicolaudie - Sunlite - Lumidesk - lumidmx -

and why can't the interfaces be interchanged as the software and hardware companies have all had our money so far.?
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Upgrading/Cross grading from the users end isn't possible at the moment. But a new technology is being developed and will be available with some new interfaces whereby the interface can be more easily upgraded/downgraded without the need to post back to France. I'm not sure whether this will support cross-grading yet.

I've been through the features thread again and made a note of all the DVC suggestions and will be discussing these this week, I'll let you know how I get on.

p.s.
-lumidmx isn't anything to do with us, although their GUI is surprisingly similar.
-check out the new Arcolis brand, part of the new LightingSoft architectural company http://www.arcolis.com/en/
Andre

Post by Andre »

simonB wrote:Hey Andre

http://www.nicolaudie.com/tutorials/suite2/

Look at the quick start section. This section is not a reference manual, it is a step by step tutorial to start a show.

The problem with Suite 2 at the moment is that it is not finished. The default view has not been decided, so when you open the software, everything pops up and it's a bit scary, but it is really not difficult to use and is actually very similar to Daslight.

Just imagine you're making a daslight show but you only have the Live screen and instead of going to the editor screen you select a button and click edit. Imagine the scenes are daslight scenes, the switches are daslight effects and the cycles are daslight groups. A page for each fixture type, a Master page to control everything.

simonB - Thanks for that.
That is the first time it has been explained in that way and hopefully will give me the opportunity to work with it in a different light. Pun intended.
Andre