Controller Gold locking up in VC2 beta

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

danwest

Controller Gold locking up in VC2 beta

Post by danwest »

Hiya,

I have been using VC2 beta, and every now and then it will lock up the USB DMX hardware and i will have to restart the the program and unplug the hardware then replug again. When I'm in the middle of a show it's a pain.
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Has this only started happening with the latest version?

Sometimes a change in USB cable can help fix this. A power surge can sometimes knock out USB devices, such as a smoke machine or DMX relay for PAR cans. Try unplugging your laptops power connection when you fir a smoke machine or power unit and see if this fixes the problem.
danwest

Post by danwest »

Hiya,

I have been doing some testing and it seams to be:

If you have stuff programmed already then go to the DMX patching window then go back to live it locks up. So I have gone back to stable VC2 and its working fine now.

(must say, I am only just starting to see what power VC2 has when it comes to controlling lights, loving it!)
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

I can't reproduce this, does it happen every time?

Which version are you using? There is no beta out at the moment, the latest and most stable is 5th May.
danwest

Post by danwest »

I'll check what version it's running when i get in to work on monday. No, it don't happen all the time. But to solve it, i just restart the software (which is not too bad as I stick a stand alone scene on the card so nothing major happens.

I also came across the issue you mention before too, only noticed it before we went live when i checked the lights were working. when I switched on some UV lights via a switcher it kicked out the usb hardware and i needed to unplug it and replug it. Bit of a pain, as most the lights go into auto mode and come on.
Sounds like the surge of the fitting starting up dose something. But when i turn the fog on, nothing happens. seams to be the uv lights. I can't unplug the computer as it's a touch screen pc and not a laptop, so would running the pc through its own surge protector help?

cheers for your help, :) Dan
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

I don't think a surge protector will help, all this does is knocks the power off in the case of a huge power surge (I think).

You need to run the UV lights off a different ring main if possible.