Steps are NOT the same as scenes!

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

smokeAndMirrors

Steps are NOT the same as scenes!

Post by smokeAndMirrors »

I have what I *think* is an issue with my lasers - that the precise behaviour depends on the order of arrival of DMX commands. I seem to need to set the colour first before I switch on, otherwise My Mileage Varies.

Now I *had* thought of using the steps in a scene to do this. In step 1, I set the colour; in step 2 I switch on, 0.04s later. But bah, this doesn't work. Steps don't observe the "channel value of 0 = no change" rule that scenes do. So is this a bug or a feature?

I really think we need some way of explicitly marking channel values as "no change" because sometimes 0 really means 0 (eg with RGB mixers).
A lie goes half way around the world before the truth gets its pants on.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Yep, I had this problem with RGB mixing and through your help of ensuring that I set each channel to 1 instead of zero I get the results I expected to see. I asked if it was a bug or feature as well :)

Instead of having something to flag no change I would rather have something that says "send channel value". That way the "zero" = "no change" would still work normally for all other instances.

What do you mean by "My Mileage Varies". :?:

Have you tried instead of doing as steps doing it as individual scenes with a jump to the next :?:
Andre
smokeAndMirrors

Post by smokeAndMirrors »

My Mileage Varies = results I get are dependent on the order things happen in and that can change arbitrarily.

It works with scenes, but it's wasteful of screen real estate and it often causes problems because I CAN'T TRIGGER MORE THAN ONE SCENE FROM A SCENE :x
A lie goes half way around the world before the truth gets its pants on.