HTP? LTP?

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Andre

HTP? LTP?

Post by Andre »

I have some LED par cans and I am creating scenes with them. for example all red, all yellow, all green, all blue etc.
Now if I create a new group and want to control only some of the LED par cans, the 3D simulator shows the correct colours sometimes.
It's always consistant not random.
It seems to be that thay are in HTP mode rather than LTP mode.
For example I have all LED Par cans on in RED 255,0,0 from Group1 then want to change some lights to GREEN 0,255,0 from Group 2.
The effect I get is for the ones in Group 2 that I want to change to GREEN is 255,255,0 which is Yellow.

Is this a bug ?

Looks like I will not be using the DVC2 software for this weekend as I cannot control the fixtures in a consistant and predictable manner.
Andre
BK Sound

Post by BK Sound »

I'm still learning my way around the software myself so forgive me if i'm stating the obvious, or have mis-understood the problem

Is this a release issue, is the Red only scene still on when you hit the green one?

or does the mode need changing in live view, you can select ltp, htp, auto, dmx in or midi.
Andre

Post by Andre »

BK Sound wrote:I'm still learning my way around the software myself so forgive me if i'm stating the obvious, or have mis-understood the problem

Is this a release issue, is the Red only scene still on when you hit the green one?

or does the mode need changing in live view, you can select ltp, htp, auto, dmx in or midi.

Hi thanks for the reply, yes you have mis-understood the problem.
Yep I know I change the settings for selected fixtures in live view to Auto, HTP, LTP, DMX input or MIDI input and I do use this when I am using LTP mode live when I want to do somethings on the fly.
In the editor you cannot change this. Not that I can find.

Basically what I have is 20 LED Par Cans arranged in the following manner. 4 on the front of the stage floor facing the guitarists. 4 on a stand at front left of the stage facing the band. 4 on a stand at the front right of the stage facing the band. 8 on a truss at the rear of the stage pointing down and slightly forward.
This setup enables me to give the whole stage a complete wash of colour.
Groups
Group1 controls all the LED Par Cans.
Group2 controls only the LED Par Cans at the back.
Group3 controls only the LED Par Cans on the floor.
Group4 controls only the LED Par Cans on the stand to the left.
Group5 controls only the LED Par Cands on the stand to the right.

So I have a scene running from Group1 all LED Par Cans will be on. When I start a scene from Group2 only the lights in Group2 should change to the colour I have selected, it should do this in LTP mode. It's doing it in HTP mode.

The actual group names are different to what I have written as I am doing this for simplicity.

What I am trying to explain is that in group 1 I have a scene that turns all the fixtures red and when I click on other scenes in the same group with the same fixtures all works as it should do. It releases the previous scene and starts the new scene.
I want to start a scene in group 2 that effects some of the lights that are already on in group 1. What should happen is that when I start the scene in group 2 it should take control of those lights in LTP mode. Basically what I have set them to be will overide any previous settings in other groups. It is actually working in HTP mode so you get a combined effect according to what ever channels have the highest DMX value.
So in the example I gave the software is sending 255 to the RED channel of the fixtures, which is what I have told the scene in group 1 to do. The scene in group 2 is going to send 255 to the Green channel of some of those fixtures. What should happen is that I should get some lights in RED (from the scene in group 1) and some lights in GREEN (from the scene in group 2) if it was working in LTP mode, but what I am getting is some lights in RED (from the scene in group 1) and some lights in YELLOW ( from the scene in group 2) because it's working in HTP mode.

I hope that makes sense.
Andre
BK Sound

Post by BK Sound »

Yes it makes sense now, sorry thats a bit advanced for me at present, today was the first day i've really got stuck into Daslight, if i find anything before Vianney posts his reply i'll let you know.
Andre

Post by Andre »

If you need any help then let me know and I will see what I can do to help. I know DVC1 very well and I am trying to change over to DVC2, they work in slightly different ways. I did quite a bit of testing of DVC2 when it was first in public beta and the tutorial for it was originally written by me using the early versions.
The DVC2 software is progressing very nicely and we seem to get new features each release. I have not had the time to investigate all the new stuff yet.
Andre
smokeAndMirrors

Post by smokeAndMirrors »

Daslight has a feature - sending a channel value of "0" means "don't affect this channel".

With RGB mixers this can cause confusion. For instance if in one step of a scene you set the RGB as 255,0,0 then you get a pure bright red as expected. However in the next scene you try for green - 0,255,0. What you actually get is yellow! 255,255,0. That's because the 0 in the R slot says "don't change me".

Work-around: set a channel value of 1. Instead of sending (0,255,0), send (1,255,1). Yes, the LEDs can be seen to be on very dimly, but in practice this doesn't matter so much.
A lie goes half way around the world before the truth gets its pants on.
Andre

Post by Andre »

smokeAndMirrors wrote:Daslight has a feature - sending a channel value of "0" means "don't affect this channel".

With RGB mixers this can cause confusion. For instance if in one step of a scene you set the RGB as 255,0,0 then you get a pure bright red as expected. However in the next scene you try for green - 0,255,0. What you actually get is yellow! 255,255,0. That's because the 0 in the R slot says "don't change me".

Work-around: set a channel value of 1. Instead of sending (0,255,0), send (1,255,1). Yes, the LEDs can be seen to be on very dimly, but in practice this doesn't matter so much.

A feature - that's a bug in my honest opinion and I thought they had fixed that problem.

Thanks for the work around it does work but honestly that is not a good solution, should do as it says. if it's zero send zero.
They should have something else to say "don't change me".
Can you imagine how a some desk operator would feel if you had to tell him when you use the sliders and move them to zero, just make sure you leave them at one cause that is zero !!!!!!!

This never happened in the DVC1 version of the software. I do like the software and I do like the hardware it's at a good price, but with flaws like this it makes it too much of a problem, to have to keep remembering to set things at 1, also why does my blackout work then they are all at zero ????
Last edited by Andre on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andre
smokeAndMirrors

Post by smokeAndMirrors »

Andre wrote:
A feature - that's a bug in my honest opinion, but thanks for the work around. That is honestly not a good solution.

I hate to say this, but I think I am going to start to look for another piece of hardware and software that works the way it should. This never happened in the DVC1 version of the software.

I see it as a "glass-half-full" sort of thing. It allows me to split my scenes into sets, one of which controls (say) the direction of scanners / heads, and the other controlling colour. For N patterns and M colours, I write N+M scenes and actually get N*M permutations. Or, in English:

Directional:
Fan 1, Fan 2, Fan 3, Ahead

Colour:
Red, Green, Blue, RGB

8 scenes, rather than 16 (RedFan1, RedFan2, RedFan3, RedAhead, GreenFan1...) - fewer on screen, fewer key bindings needed. All thanks to that "0" feature.

Still, it would be nice to be able to override it when so needed :idea:
A lie goes half way around the world before the truth gets its pants on.
Andre

Post by Andre »

smokeAndMirrors wrote:...It allows me to split my scenes into sets, one of which controls (say) the direction of scanners / heads, and the other controlling colour...

OK I can see where your coming from and that is the way I do things as well. I have them sorted into movement and colours. Just never came across this problem with the colour mixing before. Maybe because I always used the built in colours on some of the fixtures rather than the colour mixers.

Thanks for the info will continue on and see how it goes.
Andre