MIDI Signal Re-enabling Issue (Stutters)

The new Daslight - for PC and Mac

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

overfuze
Operating System: Windows

MIDI Signal Re-enabling Issue (Stutters)

Post by overfuze »

Hello!

I found an issue with Daslight 5, when re-enabling the MIDI input/output, the signal that is being sent/received becomes inconsistent and stuttery...

I am using KORG nanoKontrol Studio MIDI controller which has bluetooth capabilities, so the way I found out about the issue is that I was walking around the room, and the bluetooth signal got lost, so once the signal was back on (when I was near my PC again), Daslight wouldn't automatically recognize the input/output, and I had to go into the settings and re-enable them.
When I did re-enable them, I noticed that the changes are not as smooth as before, the faders and knobs would not update as frequently, buttons did not work all the time, etc etc...

The only way to get it to work as it should, was to restart the entire Daslight software... (which obviously would be a disaster to do during a live show).

The same issue happens with USB connection (imagine you accidentally unplugged your MIDI controller's USB cable and re-plugged it back in (yeah I am aware that this probably would maybe happen once in 100 shows or whatever, but you get the point)).

This is more of a bug report/feature request(?), to have the MIDI input/output be auto-recognized when the MIDI signal is back online (wheter coming back to the bluetooth range bounds, or simply re-plugging the USB cable), without the need of re-enabling the input/output through the Daslight settings, AND fixing the issue (signal stutters) that comes with re-enabling the input/output (which we shouldn't have to do anyways, if the signal becomes auto-recognized back again).

I have recorded a video that describes this problem further and kinda shows how you can re-create the issue on your end, so I am curious if the same issue happens to you guys on other MIDI controllers.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHaoBVs3zck
overfuze

Re: MIDI Signal Re-enabling Issue (Stutters)

Post by overfuze »

It seems that on a MacOS System, the stutters do not happen. I tried it on a virtual machine and re-plugging my midi controller seems to be automatically recognized (well, a friend tried it on windows too, and his controller seems to be auto-recognized too, but mine for some reason needs to be re-enabled through midi input in the settings).

But the stutters when re-enabling the input do NOT happen on Mac, where as on Windows they do happen, also confirmed by a friend who tried it with his controller on a windows PC.

Seriously hope that this issue will be fixed in the next update!
juls

Post by juls »

Hello
It will.
Regards
overfuze

Post by overfuze »

Great thanks!

I tried my controller with bluetooth functionality on a MacBook, and it auto-detects it when the signal gets recognized by the system (i.e. completely shutting down the controller and turning it back on, without having to re-enable it in MIDI options or restarting the software), on windows this isn't the case.

Unsure if this is related to daslight or the way that actual windows/drivers for my controller on windows are handling the signal once the controller is turned back on.