Great Software if not for these issues & bugs

The new Daslight - for PC and Mac

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

KzBoy
Operating System: Windows

Great Software if not for these issues & bugs

Post by KzBoy »

Just for some background I used 'myDMX2 &3' for a while and even recommended it to some clients a few years back. However I stopped recommending it due to some small, but quite frustrating 'bugs' that are really more of unfinished QA problems. However I have always felt like the software has found the perfect balance between easy-to-use and powerful. It's simply that the 'bugs' mostly negated the easy-to-use part.

Daslight 5 seems like a great product similar to myDMX3 but improved and more polished. However in my testing I am starting to see some of the old issues arise again. So instead of sitting back and seeing what happens I would offer my insight for what it is worth, in the hope of having this great software get to the level of being something I can recommend to clients in confidence!

Install Location (Windows)
Why isn't the program installed in the proper location by default? Why are files not stored where they should be by default. Windows has specific places for programs and their resources, certain ways it handles permissions and such. Why is does the Daslight installer default to the root of C: drive like some old Windows 95 installer?!?

Proper Permissions (Profiles can't be added unless run as Admin)
If you manually choose the correct location (Programs Folder) the permissions are not correctly handled and the resources aren't properly stored so it must be run as an Administrator to function. Things like this frustrate non-techy users who may end up overlooking this otherwise great software.
Maybe this is simply due to it being a Beta, however much of the software I have seen from this company works the same way. Are their plans to correct this in the final version? I think it would go a long way to it truly being a 'polished' product, ready for more widespread use.

Perhaps a more critical bug, without setting the software to run as an administrator. None of the program settings persist!?! There is no error or warning about this either! The settings simply revert to their defaults. To a user who doesn't know why this is happening there is no indication that there is a problem, it simply appears that the program is broken/buggy.

SUT, DMXSoft.com, & Licensing
I find the licensing extremely confusing. It's very handy that my previous licenses apply to new purchases. However this whole area needs some work. There are multiple diagrams, charts, etc... However none of it gives me confidence to understand what I have and what I need. Additionally it would be really nice to have an option to purchase a simple USB key or something as we typically use all ArtNet devices yet the software requires some sort of interface/dongle.
One small change that might help is changing the color coding of the icons on DMXSoft.com. Some are blue some are grey, the grey icons seem to imply those are not included features. Furthermore some items are simply not listed. If I look under 'Installed applications' it doesn't show my ArtNet license. I have to remember that it's there. I have 'myDMX3' listed, though it say's expired. When I go to Buy Applications with my interface selected there are options to buy things my interface can't even use.
These things could be improved a number of ways, however one suggestion I have that would add some clarification on the buy screen. List the items I already own, but replace the price and cart buttons with something like 'Installed' and a checkmark. This makes it easy to see what licensees the current interface has without switching tabs.

No good indication that firmware is the reason SUT is not syncing.
My device needed a firmware update to let it Sync with SUT however I only realized this after hovering over the little 'i' icon and reading the 4th line of info that pops up in size 8 font. Some sort of prompt is needed. Alternatively when you connect a new interface to the software maybe automatically bring up the hardware manager?

Hardware Manager isn't really mentioned on the page's for interfaces
Once I realized I needed to update it, I was looking under the manual & downloads section for the DMX buddy for firmware. It didn't cross my mind to look in the Daslight5 manual for info on updating the DMX buddy. Add some info to the website pages for the interfaces or a simple 'Getting started' pdf explaining how to update the firmware. Even better include 'Hardware Manger' as a separate download on those pages. I understand its redundant, it's just that the software manual isn't the first place people normally look for info on hardware devices.

Windows Scaling
It's nice that you can override the window scaling. However this is a feature Windows already has. It is more confusing IMO that Daslight doesn't respect normal window scaling behavior. Meaning it's quite hard to see & use on a modern high resolution display.

Updating
The update notifications are great, however when updating I can't choose the folder Daslight5 is currently installed to. Meaning I have to install it in a new location ever time I update....

3D Visualizer - only cm
This is a small issue, something that will likely be fixed in further update, however I just wanted to mention it. It would be nice if it supported feet/inches.

----
I used to think it was simply because I haven't changed software in a while and it wasn't fresh in my head. However I had another person reach out recently with issues installing and they were encountering many of the same issues I had, they just didn't know how to solve it and were going to look at other software options. It ended up taking me about 30min to get them straightened out (Due to another bug I don't quite understand). However they loved the software once it was up and working.

Anyway, thats my list of things. Perhaps many of this changes are already planned for the final version. If so thats great! If not maybe this list is helpful. If others have experienced these issues maybe they have better ideas then me on the fixes. If I'm missing something feel free to explain it to me.

I genuinely feel like you guys make the best lighting software on the market right now. You guys could blow things like 'Lightkey' out of the water.
Mikasa

Re: Great Software if not for these issues & bugs

Post by Mikasa »

I used to use Daslight 5,fnf but now I have switched to GrandMA2 due to its powerful capabilities and extensive feature set.
joeywatt
Operating System: Mac OS X

Post by joeywatt »

GrandMA2 is way faster than Daslight. I noticed Daslight is very crucial to use during live events. That is also the tesimonials I read from their reviews. Our site Check our website
Bruld1953

Post by Bruld1953 »

Thank you for sharing your feedback and insights regarding Daslight 5.
house of hazards
kenjamal

Post by kenjamal »

Last edited by kenjamal on Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cisodent

Post by Cisodent »

It would, in my opinion, go a long way toward making the product a "polished" one that is prepared for more broad use.
pizza tower
bekean

Post by bekean »

Despite the issues you've mentioned, you emphasize that you believe Daslight 5 has the potential to be wordle a market-leading lighting software if these concerns are addressed.
Raphael_Nicolaudie

Post by Raphael_Nicolaudie »

Thank you for this detailed list of issues.
All these problems have been taken into account and will be discussed for the next major release.
Yours sincerely
Daslight Support
DJMan32

Post by DJMan32 »

Raphael_Nicolaudie wrote:Thank you for this detailed list of issues.
All these problems have been taken into account and will be discussed for the next major release.
Yours sincerely

Thank you for the response
harrisonford

Post by harrisonford »

It sounds like you had some issues with installing software and had to help someone else with similar issues. It's great that you were able to help them and they ended up loving the software once it was working. Your list of issues may be helpful for the developers to consider, and it's possible that some of these changes are already planned for the final version. If others have experienced similar issues, they may have better ideas for fixes.
mapquest driving directions
billyroberts

Post by billyroberts »

Daslight 5 is a lighting control software and hardware solution designed for professionals in the entertainment and event industry, particularly for controlling and programming lighting fixtures. This software is used for creating and managing complex lighting setups for various applications, including concerts, theater productions, DJ performances, architectural lighting, and more.
DJMan32

Post by DJMan32 »

billyroberts wrote:Daslight 5 is a lighting control software and hardware solution designed for professionals in the entertainment and event industry, particularly for controlling and programming lighting fixtures. This software is used for creating and managing complex lighting setups for various applications, including concerts, theater productions, DJ performances, architectural lighting, and more.

...Great summery?....thanks?.....
rosiewilsonnsj

Post by rosiewilsonnsj »

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback on your experience with myDMX2 & 3 and Connections Game Daslight 5. It's valuable for the developers to receive insights from users like you.
alijen

Post by alijen »

I understand its redundant, it's just that the software manual isn't the first place people normally look for info on hardware devices.
color blind test
DJMan32

Post by DJMan32 »

daslight does have a lot of potential, I've been using the adj version of das 4 since I could remember. but for larger more important venues I've juggled between onyx, hog, and ma2. Honestly onyx is not a bad software on a budget as 2 universe nodes are relatively the same price (sub 400) however you dont have to pay for art net connections like daslight and you can keep your file for any obsidian consoles. hog, over priced, and that leads to grand ma2 or ma3 at this point. the on pc version of grand ma is not bad $2,000 for 4 096 parameters. after you fully max out a daslight gmz or gold, your are a bit over half the price of a 2k node. but the 2k node still doubles the amount of parameters so they are very comparable. honestly if you are running 1 or 2 universes then daslight is the way to go, above that and its a real toss up as far as price goes. Now here is where it gets interesting. grand ma is widely used, so chances are whatever company you are running lights for has a MA patch and your file works with any MA console. more importantly MA as so many more features at the expense of being user friendly and is tried and true since 1997 and still predominantly used. where das is still kinda half baked (no offence daslight team I understand limitations) and not as reliable. I LOVE daslight and how the stacking works with scenes, which is why I still use it. its simple to use for everyone which is why I set up all of my churches and independent stages up with the das nodes. and das 5 drag and drop timeline feature is a game changer for my 6 theatres i work for. but you have to recognize that this is an apple to orange comparison. For touring, daslight is behind but I don't think at this point they are looking to become that big which is ok, their is a crowed for this software.