Midi out feedback on enabling scene presets

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

oss1x

Midi out feedback on enabling scene presets

Post by oss1x »

tl;dr: MIDI output feedback works when manually moving a channel fader in Daslight, but not when selecting a scene

Dear Daslight community,
I think I am doing something wrong in setting up MIDI trigger mappings, maybe you can notch me in the right direction.
We have a Behringer X-touch compact MIDI controller (9 motorised faders + a bunch of knobs) connected to the Daslight computer via USB. The general MIDI setup looks to be right, I receive MIDI commands from the controller in Daslight and the output also works in principle.

As a simple example, let's consider a basic setup of 8 single channels of dimmers (say PAR cans). I want to map each individual dimmer channel onto a MIDI fader. So I rightlick the dimmer fader
daslight_fader.jpg
daslight_fader.jpg (100.09 KiB) Viewed 2261 times

for a given channel and add a MIDI mapping to the appropriate midi channel and number. Now moving the MIDI fader does indeed change the dimmer for that channel. Since the fader is motorised, I enable the feedback with the right channel setting as well. Indeed, moving the channel fader in Daslight results in the MIDI fader moving accordingly. This is what I expect, and this part works well on the MIDI watcher as well as on the actual motor faders.

Now in practice, what I want is for the motor faders to show me whatever is currently set for the given channels (so I can adjust it on the fly without the dimmer output jumping around). But when I set the DMX level for a given channel by activating a scene/preset, that channel value is not reflected on the motor faders. They do not move. When I check the MIDI Watcher, indeed no MIDI output is sent when a scene/preset (that of course contains a change to the given channel) is selected. Accordingly, the motor faders do not move. (It's the same for the LED indicators on turning knobs on the controller btw. Not surprising, since the MIDI watcher does not show any MIDI output when a scene is enabled)

This is not what I expected, and frankly makes the whole motor fader business rather useless for now. So I assume I am doing something wrong here. Maybe I there is a better way to select a single DMX channel for MIDI mapping/feedback?

It seems I cannot attach a .dvc example scene file here. I'll gladly upload it somewhere else if it might be helpful for you.

Cheers and many thanks in advance!
oss1x

Re: Midi out feedback on enabling scene presets

Post by oss1x »

searching this forum further, I found this: http://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php ... ger#p14594

so it seems what I would like to do is not possible with Daslight, unless something changed fundamentally?
TomHat

Re: Midi out feedback on enabling scene presets

Post by TomHat »

Hello,

This is exactly right, sadly D4 won't be able to do exactly what you want to do, for the reasons I exposed in this very post you quoted.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500