Daslight4 crash when opening preferences and saving

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Moessieurs
Operating System: Windows

Daslight4 crash when opening preferences and saving

Post by Moessieurs »

Hi , i'm on Windows 10, 3 computers to test, DVC4 Gold.

One Laptop Asus Rayzen 3500 8 Gb memory, one Lenovo Rayzen 3700 8 Gb memory, one Desktop i7 28 Gb sdram.
With June version, it work playing light with my file, but when i want to open preferences it crash.
So to set my sync Bpm Steinberg soundcard, i open Dashlight, open preferences without loading my file, assign steinberg driver for midi in/out and sync, and after load my file.

But sometimes, Dashlight crash also when saving my file, at end saving and it corrupt the file, so i need to save each file two or 3 times to be sure my last save isn't corrupt like myfile, myfile bis, my file bis2.
My file is i can say big, 75 Mb.

This is how i work : 4 Moving head, 2 Beams, 1 scan, 3 spot led
I made for each type of light: basics move for moving head, colors for spot led, color and move for scan and beam
For each song we play in the band i made 4 to 6 specific Moving head move/color/prims like one for intro, one for verse, one for chorus, one for bridge, one for ending.

After for each song, i create several scenes by using jump to set for intro witch moving head/beam/scan/spot scene i use
Same after for verse 1, chorus 1, verse2, chorus 2, bridge, chorus3, ending.
A complete song can have from 8 to 16 daslight scenes.

Like we have near 100 songs available in band, it's made a lot of Scenes in Daslight, but like this it allow me to change as example for choruses in same song different color/move.
All is sync from Audio Modeling Camelot pro that send bpm as clock, scene change thru a control change to Daslight in Live mode.

Camelot pro play backing track where i put Camelot scene on it's timeline for each light change, each have the Control change to send to Daslight for changing daslight scene by a scene "+"
It work fine when playing, no crash, all is sync ... no need for me who play Keyboards and manage mix to change Dashlight scene with as example a pedal for scene changing, all is automate.

My problem is really for opening preferences, and sometimes when saving, so i need to made as example 4 scenes for a song on moving head, saving file 1 , saving file 2, if no crash continue set scenes for all with jump , saving file 1 , saving file 2 ....

I have manage my file size by removing unused scenes for old songs we do not play anymore, i win 10 mb of size, but we have near 8 new songs to made and it's a bit boring to work like this.

Is there a way to prevent this crash file ? Note it crash with or without DVC4 connected in same way, so it's not become from it to me, it's an official DVC4 buy in Store in France.

Does Dashlight have a maximum number of scene to manage?

Nothing else run on computer when working with Daslight4, Camelot Pro is on one other laptop with it's sound card midi out that send to daslight computer to midi in sound card.

Note: i try last version from November, does not solve problem, i would say it's worse, it crash just after opening files, i test my last 3 saving file: finishing loading, stay on 3 seconds, crash.
June 2021 version work better except preference/saving problem

To TomHat, i send you a private message with my file link if you want to test file.
huhing

Re: Daslight4 crash when opening preferences and saving

Post by huhing »

Hello,

I have got the exact same problem as far as I see it.

I run Windows and a SIUDI10A.
There is no chance to access preferences with my dvc file (~ 50 MB) being open.
After saving the dvc file in latest release I am not even able to open and run it stable.

This has been an issue in past updates of DasLight4 as well which I was able to handle by getting rid of some scenes.
But now there is no real option for me to reduce the number of scenes any more.

To make it worse I am not able to just use my dvc file with an older release as the interface is not being recognized any more by older releases after latest firmware update as of 2021-03-15.

These troubles related to release updates and/or firmware updates are really annoying.
Any news on that problem is appreciated.

Gruß aus Bremen,
Helge
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hello,

We are terribly sorry to read about this issue you've been experiencing using our Daslight4 software. This seems to be an issue created when the software reaches its limits in terms of amout of Data it can process. This means that your showfiles are so big the software can barely manage to open or save them anymore.

I'll add that the properties window is quite a big thing to load for the software too, mostly because of the list of shortcuts in the last tab. If this window doesn't load/open properly, this is usially a sign that the software isn't able to process more data.

Our advice here is to try and devide your showfiles into several small file. This will make it easier and faster for Daslight4 to load your projects and will prevent all risks of it crashing for this reason.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
Moessieurs

Post by Moessieurs »

Hi, thank you Huhing for your feedback and Tomhat for your answer.

It's a little bit tricky to separate light show in smaller file cause we made a song list for each stage we play, depend of music style we need to play.
Reordering for a show and save only songs we are going to play can be done and made a smaller file for a specific live but i need to keep a large general "all song file" as database.
Not sure import function to import scenes i need for a show in this case can work if daslight 4 have problem by managing one larger file, importing from a large file to one other file can crash too.

I will stay on June version that doesn't crash on loading, try to remove some other old song to reduce a little bit size.

I hope dashlight 5 can manage this better.

Best regards and take care.
huhing

Post by huhing »

Hello,
thanks for your feedback, reactions.
Before thinking about where to dump some scenes I would like to give it a try with previous release from June as well. Recently I have updated from a 2020 release and that's why recent problems came up. Question: Is there any link/place to access the previous release(s) in order to give it a try? I didn't find any.

Gruß aus Bremen,
Helge
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hello,

Sadly there is no web page gathering old links.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500