Using two AKAI APC mini

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

s.broeer
Operating System: Mac OS X

Using two AKAI APC mini

Post by s.broeer »

Hello,

is it possible to use two AKAI APC mini at the same time in Daslight 4?

I've a second one of this controller and attached it to my MacBook when using Daslight 4. At he MIDI-Prereferences I see both controller and also I can activate both controller. But unfortunatelly only one controller could use as MIDI device, the second one does not react in any way :?:

It would be great if there's a way to use two midi controller at the same time in Daslight 4.

Greetings
Let there be light ...
Stephan
PolDavril
Operating System: Windows

Re: Using two AKAI APC mini

Post by PolDavril »

Hello,

The MIDI channel cannot be changed on the APC mini. It's always 1.
So, only one unit can be used at the time.

Unless there is a software tool that can convert the MIDI channel of one unit in real time (I don't know Mac).

If a MIDI device has an option to change its MIDI channel, I think it would be possible to use 2 or more. Never tried it.

Hope this helps.
Pol Davril
Stage Manager & Technician
Daslight 4 - Version Jan 13 2020
http://www.hsd-productions.be
http://www.exprime-toi.be
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

Hi Pol,

many thanks for your reply and the suggestion to use a midi channel converter.
I do a search and found a tool named Midi Translator Pro. I will test this and then come back with a feedback.

Greetings
Let there be light ...
Stephan
s.broeer

Post by s.broeer »

Hi Pol,

as I told in my last post, I found the software "MIDI Translator Pro" which can change the MIDI channel in realtime.

With the help of the support from this software I was able to build a translator for this and now I could use my two AKAI APC Mini as two separate devices in Daslight4. It works really great and without any leak.

Thanks again for your hint! :D
Let there be light ...
Stephan
djdad
Operating System: Windows

Post by djdad »

Sorry to say this, but Daslight should handle multiple Midi devices and enumerate them not depending on their names/vid/pid but some kind of instance path or any other unique identification.
Users are not programmers and you dont expect them to handle such cases, installing 3rd party software, re-programming etc.

The case reported here (2 Akai Mini connected) is something that has been reported in the past, probably years ago, and still Daslight developers think that's something with low priority or have no knowledge on this matter.

If you want to say we support MIDI devices, this issue is quite basic to fix i d say.

Last but not least, you need to fix hot-plug Midi device. If something goes wrong or if you plug the Midi device after starting Daslight, you dont expect the user to restart software to get his Midi device working and leave the venue without lights for several seconds - if not minutes.