Very buggy software

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

jcdesign
Operating System: Windows

Very buggy software

Post by jcdesign »

I am so tired at this software always crash all the time. Ok it is working ok with smaller files with 0-50 mb, My file is now 156 mb and crashing in setup mode all the time. It is a very nice software to look at and the funktions is good but terrible buggy.
Benno

Re: Very buggy software

Post by Benno »

Hi jcdesign,

Sorry to hear your experiencing problems with the software. To help further can you give some more information please. What version date of the software are you using? Can you give me more details on the problem, we can then try and reproduce and fix. What exactly are you doing in the software when it crashes, is it something you can reproduce? Does it happen with every show or with a particular showfile?

Kind regards
Benno
--
Product Support
jcdesign

Post by jcdesign »

Using the latest version 2 aug 2018 windows and Daslight Gold. As many other here suggest to save often before the system crasch, but sometimes I forget to save and the time spent on shows is gone. Just restart the software and start from the beginning again. It have no sense what I do it´s random programming led par and moving heads. It even crash when saving 5-7 times but after some minutes it repair itself and continue to the end when the files is saved, but only if I have luck the saved file is working.

I hope you can help me find these bugs, or else I have to leave this brand and go for another.

Here is my file if you want to play around.

https://coverfriends.or/janne/lightshow_jcdesign.dvc
rpomygal

Post by rpomygal »

It can be quite frustrating... I'd suggest you use the option to auto-save every minute... I wish they would add a drop down to select frequency for the auto-save timing because 1 minute is just too often, but, it works.

I ended up reinstalling Daslight and it's been a bit better. I have 21 fixtures, and my file is not near the size of yours, but the crashes are just so varied... yesterday I was just moving from Live to Edit mode and it crashed. But, I left the app running all night for the heck of it... and it didn't crash once. Pixel effect editing is just a roll of the dice... it will crash with regular frequency when using that feature so they need to clean that up sooner than later!

I've used various software products, most recently spending quite a few hours with Onyx (formerly M-PC). All the hours I used it, not one crash... but it's lacking in the Midi areas and I just came back to Daslight. I even tried LightRider which was kind of "cool", but just not configurable enough... and it did not play well with some fixtures. I like Daslight, and it has the features I want, but it can be very frustrating. My existing issue with the scene that has steps for the moving heads... it just stops playing the steps if I click on any other scene... the lights remain on, and the scene in Daslight remains ON, and looks like it's playing, but all movement stops... it even shows the behavior in the 3D Visualizer... yet no answer from devs in that topic! ??
benvigil
Operating System: Mac OS X

Post by benvigil »

It's pretty ridonculous this is an ongoing issue after a year and half at least. It's not difficult at all to replicate. Just open dasLight and start editing a show for more than 10 minutes... and it WILL crash on you.

Or maybe 30 seconds. Or maybe 45 minutes.
Benno

Post by Benno »

jcdesign :
It have no sense what I do it´s random programming led par and moving heads.
Thanks for the showfile, I can test it here but can you give me any more information what you are doing in the software please? Is it when creating Scenes using the effects generator maybe? Any info to go on would be helpful.
It even crash when saving 5-7 times but after some minutes it repair itself and continue to the end when the files is saved, but only if I have luck the saved file is working.
I can test the save function here with your showfile.

rpomygal :
I wish they would add a drop down to select frequency for the auto-save timing because 1 minute is just too often, but, it works.
I will pass this onto the developers as a suggestion.
Pixel effect editing is just a roll of the dice... it will crash with regular frequency when using that feature so they need to clean that up sooner than later!
To narrow it down, is this all pixel effects or sceptic ones? Any pattern to the crash?
My existing issue with the scene that has steps for the moving heads...
To keep this thread separate I have responded to the other post.

benvigil
It's not difficult at all to replicate. Just open dasLight and start editing a show for more than 10 minutes... and it WILL crash on you.
Can you send your showfile and further details on what you're 'editing' in your show? The more details the better to help us find a pattern and try to reproduce.

Thanks
Benno
--
Product Support
rpomygal

Post by rpomygal »

Pixel effect editing is just a roll of the dice... it will crash with regular frequency when using that feature so they need to clean that up sooner than later!
To narrow it down, is this all pixel effects or sceptic ones? Any pattern to the crash?

Sadly, that's the concern other's have expressed... there is no pattern to the crashes. I think it's memory leaks which is indicative of the problems we're having. I worked with the software for about 2 hours last night... doing numerous things, but mostly pan/tilt effects with the heads and scanners, midi assignments, and even deleting scenes or deleting steps from scenes. I did not have a single crash. The day before, it crashed just moving from Live to Edit mode and another crash just turning off a scene. I've been in IT for 20+ years and work for a software company so I'm sympathetic to bugs. But these sporadic crashes, which you cannot replicate with a defined set of steps, are the most frustrating hence my thinking these are memory leaks which crashes like this are generally related to, and almost impossible to replicate. I've tried to repeat the same thing I did to cause the crash and it worked fine, or, it would crash in a totally different place. So, to answer your questions, I wish I could narrow it down... I've tired, but I can't.
Benno

Post by Benno »

Okay no problem I understand that you can't give specifics. Also know that random crashes are frustrating. I will pass the details onto the developers and we will look into optimising the way Daslight 4 / Effects generator works of the next few months. Thanks for the feedback.
Benno
--
Product Support
jcdesign

Post by jcdesign »

Thanks for the showfile, I can test it here but can you give me any more information what you are doing in the software please? Is it when creating Scenes using the effects generator maybe? Any info to go on would be helpful.

The crashes are always on the creating and edit scenes. Live/play mode working fine when the file is saved and secured.

I hope you creating some advanced scene and testing my file at the moving head sections. Like rpomygal said the crashes are not always the same. It may be enough that I drag the zoom so the program crashes
jcdesign

Post by jcdesign »

May inform open programs while running Daslight software. According to tests now, it crashes when you have the browser chrome active and open when you start up Daslight. Seems like the program has memory problems.
Klangplantage

Post by Klangplantage »

benvigil wrote:It's pretty ridonculous this is an ongoing issue after a year and half at least. It's not difficult at all to replicate. Just open dasLight and start editing a show for more than 10 minutes... and it WILL crash on you.

Or maybe 30 seconds. Or maybe 45 minutes.

Well, exact this is it. Open Daslight 4 and it WILL crash.
Perhaps when you edit a show. Perhaps when you try to make a new scene or use effects. Perhaps when you only try to delete a scene or step, or when you switch between tabs, try to patch a new fixure or, the most annoying thing, when you simply press a button to run your show: just open D4 and it WILL crash! Since 2 and a half jears oft trying to work with now... ... ...

Win 10 / i7 / 8GB RAM / 4GB Geforce 1070 / Livid Ohm
jcdesign

Post by jcdesign »

I have a feeling they don´t care. A normal company takes care of its customers and tries to respond as best as possible. But not here. Then I think every update of the software that is now every six months should be more frequent, at least every two months.
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hello,

We are very sorry to learn about the problems you've been reporting. We have taken notice of the crashes you have experienced. Sadly we haven't been able to replicate these issues locally. It is therefore difficult to pinpoint what's causing them.
Although we keep working on the stability of our software. We have planned on soon releasing a new beta containing some major fix. I'm not able to give an exact date, but it should be released in the coming weeks on our website.

Of course, we care deeply about our customer's satisfaction and trust in our product, and we hope that this coming version will solve the crashes you're experiencing.

Best regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500