Software seems buggy; should I buy your product?

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

berrietrippe
Operating System: Mac OS X

Software seems buggy; should I buy your product?

Post by berrietrippe »

Hi,

I was planning on buying your product for our venue since it looked really promising.
Before I jumped in and ordered it online I wanted to try your software(DasLight 4) to see what the possibilities are.
However, when I tried it on my MacBook, it turned out to be unusable. I haven't been able to use the software for more than a minute since it keeps crashing on any action I perform. Now I tried this on my 2016 MacBook Pro running Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.4.
On my windows laptop is seemed far more stable, but it disappointed me again. The program crashes too often when performing actions.
I want to use this program on my MacBook since I travel with this all the time, after all you provide a Mac OS version and a customer may expect a stable version of your software, but for now it seems I won't be getting a chance.
Moreover, when we hired some lighting for an event the lighting programmer used DasLight on a Windows laptop and he had problems with (randomly) crashing as well, which is highly undesirable. I hope you understand this makes me feel uncertain about your product and I am not (yet) convinced.

Now my question is, are you aware that your software is not reliable and can you convince me to buy your product anyway? If you are aware that this program is unstable, why release it?

As I said I really think your product has potential, though I had hoped my first impressions of it's software were more positive(And I am glad I tried it before buying it because I almost bought it)

Kind regards,
Berrie
TomHat

Re: Software seems buggy; should I buy your product?

Post by TomHat »

Hey Berrie,

First of, thank you for the insterest you put in Daslight 4. We're sorry to read that you've experienced problems testing our software. Please, be sure that we work hard on getting all reported problems fixed as fast as possible.
We are aware of the fact that Daslight 4 may contain minor bugs (or crashes), and answer to that by releasing our latest fixes on a regular basis. As you said, Dalsight 4 has potential. We have built it together with our customers, who could find many of their requested features in the latest versions as they popped on our website for the past year. We are proud of that.
And when it comes to supporting our product, we can be reached on this active forum, over the phone (french or english mostly) or email ([email protected] and [email protected]).

Also I must mention that technologies change all the time, and we've had our share of problems with the latest Mac OS Sierra. For instance, some of our customers using Daslight4 on this OS have met compatibility issues with the Accessibility features, so the software would crash every time they selected an item in a list (if that should be your case, please make sure to deactivate apps like Magnet, Flexiglass, Popclip or BetterSnapTool) ; we're still looking into ways to fix that for good.

On that note, we would appreciate you reporting and letting us know how to reproduce the crashes you encountered (or bugs you noticed) so they never happen again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
berrietrippe
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: Software seems buggy; should I buy your product?

Post by berrietrippe »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
After disabling BetterTouchTool(an application I use to configure my trackpad) on my MacBook I was able to fully utilise DasLight 4 without any crashes. It has been working like a charm ever since!
On my windows laptop (running Windows 8.1) the program crashes only when I am using the 3D visualizer, once I perform an action that is graphically intensive. Besides that I’ve had no problems!
I have had the chance to test your product live and I will definitely be buying it on a short notice.

Kind regards,

Berrie