audio effects

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

mworley09
Operating System: Windows

audio effects

Post by mworley09 »

Im new to the software and just updated my venue to the DVC4 GZM. Im loving the system but i have one concern. None of the audio effects are working. neither the level meter or bar graph work either in matrix or pixel effects. when they are selected daslight simply continues whichever effect was selected previously. is anyone else having this issue? I know 4 is very new so im thinking its a bug but is there a workaround and is the dev team aware of it.

thanks guys!
Gregory_D

Re: audio effects

Post by Gregory_D »

mworley09 wrote:Im new to the software and just updated my venue to the DVC4 GZM. Im loving the system but i have one concern. None of the audio effects are working. neither the level meter or bar graph work either in matrix or pixel effects. when they are selected daslight simply continues whichever effect was selected previously. is anyone else having this issue? I know 4 is very new so im thinking its a bug but is there a workaround and is the dev team aware of it.

thanks guys!

Hi, i have the same issue.

I wanted to add a level meter effect on my Sunstrips Active DMX (10 channel), to see the sound level on 10 lamps range, but without success. No change when i apply the effect.
(Official Daslight4 version december 2016)

Any ideas ? Thx
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

Hi,
I tested again this Audio Effects in pixels effects, but it still don't work and i still don't understand how it works.

How it should work exactly ? We have to select a microphone somewhere ? The effect is effective only after creating for real the effect or during the set-up period too ? It seems no new buttons/parameters are showing after selecting audio effects in drop-down list in effects tab ?

Is this specific effect work for someone ?

I'm really interested for this effect (if this is what i have in mind, a vu-meter on a selected range of lamp on a fixture)
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey Greg,

Gregory_D wrote:How it should work exactly ? We have to select a microphone somewhere ?

This effect uses the default audio input and displays level in real time. There is nothing special you need to do except set the right default audio input before starting the software.

If this still doesn't work, please let me know and we'll try to make it work for you as it should.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

TomHat wrote:Hey Greg,

Gregory_D wrote:How it should work exactly ? We have to select a microphone somewhere ?

This effect uses the default audio input and displays level in real time. There is nothing special you need to do except set the right default audio input before starting the software.

If this still doesn't work, please let me know and we'll try to make it work for you as it should.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Hi,
Yes, my default audio input is correct in my computer parameters and micro works correctly (on 3 computers i tested, laptop or desk).
As said above, the sinus effect is still rolling and nothing is changing.
If i understand correctly it should display in real time audio level, all time, from the moment i select audio effect and i generated it ? in edit mode, and in live ? We need to generate it too ?
When i generate the effect i get a sinus effect.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Strange... No, you don't need to generate it at all. It's a "live" effect. You just need to keep it visible in the effect generator, don't hit the "Generate" button.

What version of Daslight 4 do you have ?

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

I have the last version of D4, december 22th. Not the beta since i prefer to work on official version to really play my show. I experiment with Beta.

Ok, so it's a Live only FX ? it can't be stored in a scene or a button in Live or Show just to play this effect so ? In Live we have to set the FX manually (or open a saved level meter FX) ?

I made some more tests again :

-- I discovered i needed to select an audio input myself on live tab, on right under BPM section.

-- I discovered that effects menus are not the same if i open D4 then a project file with Open, or if i open directly a project via the project file itself :

1) I open a project file double cliking on file in Windows => D4 opens and the project too => go to Live tab => playing some music => go to effect tab and add pixel FX on my selected fixtures => set Level meter FX => i see no change, it remains the default sinus FX running, and parameters are the same as sinus
or
2) I open D4 (just the empty software) => go to Open, selecting a project, then open it => go to Live tab => playing some music => go to effect tab and add pixel FX on my selected fixtures => set Level meter FX => i saw a new set of parameters i never saw before for this effect (3 colors, background, audio input, audio gain etc...) and the effect is working it seems.

So, i maybe spotted a new issue. Since i mostly open my light projects clicking on them (and not opening D4, and then Open in the software). The FX level meter only works opening an empty D4 software and then opening a project, case #2 explained above. In the case #1, it don't work, and sometimes even crash the whole software.

Win7, and Win10, D4 22th december 2017
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hum, interesting...

Gregory_D wrote:Ok, so it's a Live only FX ? it can't be stored in a scene or a button in Live or Show just to play this effect so ? In Live we have to set the FX manually (or open a saved level meter FX) ?

Yes exactly. This was thought that way, as this effect is mostly interesting when playing in sync WITH a sound. There was no big interest in saving the effect values. I can understand that in some specific cases one might wish to have the effect working with random values, but we chose not to have it for Daslight 4.

One more thing : Could you please test one thing for me ?
1. Open the software from a file and check the "File->About" menu. Write down the software version.
2. Then open the software from the Daslight4.exe and compare the version with the one you just wrote down.

I think depending on the way you open the software, you don't open the same version (Beta/official).
That could explain why you get crashes in one situation, and not in the other.

Please let me know what result you got from this test.
Until then, have a great day !

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

Thanks Tom for your answers.

Unfortunately, i have only one version of D4 on the computer i test today, i uninstall the beta one some months ago.
Here the two screenshots you requested :

D4 EXE
D4 EXE
D4 EXE_2017-03-20_14h59_11.jpg (142.9 KiB) Viewed 20308 times

D4 Project File
D4 Project File
D4 FILE_2017-03-20_14h59_41.jpg (142.21 KiB) Viewed 20308 times

Same version when i open via Exe or Project File.
So very strange.
(I always fully uninstall or install the full pack of software)
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Okay. I'd greatly recommend you to only use the latest beta version of our software. Lots of changes have been made since last Official and made the Beta version much more stable.
If you really don't want to use the beta, then I'm afraid you'll have to wait for next official (nothing set in stone yet, but I think it might take a couple months from now).

We'll do some more investigation in order to find out what this issue is really, but we're happy to read that you can now play with audio effect.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

TomHat wrote:Okay. I'd greatly recommend you to only use the latest beta version of our software. Lots of changes have been made since last Official and made the Beta version much more stable.
If you really don't want to use the beta, then I'm afraid you'll have to wait for next official (nothing set in stone yet, but I think it might take a couple months from now).

We'll do some more investigation in order to find out what this issue is really, but we're happy to read that you can now play with audio effect.

Regards,

Thank you for your answers Tom, and yes, i will surely use the last Beta version for my live show if official is not released soon.
Thank you, i'll test this effect with my hardware interface a bit later now, but it seems to work virtually speaking.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...