Using multiple Tilt arguments on one Fixture

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

MrLJ
Operating System: Windows

Using multiple Tilt arguments on one Fixture

Post by MrLJ »

Hi,
I am pretty new to Daslight (using it for abt a year now) and just recently I started to dive deeper into creating scenes to make my shows more interesting than just strobes and gradients...

Now I acquired a new fixture that has a rotating head and four small rolls that can tilt up and down. Each roll has it's own fader for the tilt.

The Fixture in question
The Fixture in question
fixture_lowres.jpg (98.11 KiB) Viewed 7289 times

The fixture has 4 seperate TiltSliders
The fixture has 4 seperate TiltSliders
Fixture has 4 Tilt sliders.jpg (98.9 KiB) Viewed 7289 times

So I went ahead and created a new Curve Effect with 4 Curves (one for each roll, as I was planning to Phase shift them later on), and while in the editor everything worked fine and all 4 rolls did what they were supposed to do.
When I went ahead and generated the Effect into a scene it lost the first 3 curves and only generated the 4th one.

This is the settings I set in the Effect Editor
This is the settings I set in the Effect Editor
Effect_Editor.jpg (76.73 KiB) Viewed 7289 times

Then I tried to find the problem and did several troubleshooting steps.
1st I tried only 2 of the 4 rolls -> Same outcome
2nd I tried to create 4 different scenes in 4 different groups and have them trigger with a hotkey -> Same outcome (All 4 scenes triggered but only one of the rolls moved)

I am completely lost on this one and have no idea what else to try since this is a pretty weird issue.

I hope anyone can help me with this issue as this fixture does look pretty cool and could add a lot of value to my studio.

Kind Regards

Mr.LJ
Mr.LJ
dj, producer, photographer
My Twitch Channel
MrLJ

Re: Using multiple Tilt arguments on one Fixture

Post by MrLJ »

Ok after countless hours of more testing and looking at things I am pretty certain that I spotted the issue, I just can't explain why this issue exists other than it being a Bug in Daslight 4.

When I go and create a curve effect for just a single roll it turns out that that curve also enables the faders for the other three rolls and sets them to 0, therefore overwriting all the curves I defined before it.

The other 3 tilt faders are all turned on even though only a curve for channel 3 has been defined
The other 3 tilt faders are all turned on even though only a curve for channel 3 has been defined
Issue.jpg (94.99 KiB) Viewed 7267 times

I feel like this is not the intended functionality of this feature. I actually assume it's a bug and needs fixing.
I also tried using Daslight 5 for some comparison, but in that, I can't even apply a curve effect to the tilt of separate rolls.

I'd actually like to hear back from any mod or dev if this is indeed a bug or intended and if it were to be intended if there is a way to achieve what I am looking for.

Kind regards

Mr.LJ
Mr.LJ
My Twitch Channel
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

Good evening.
Can't test it right now, but I think the fixture needs to be edited in the fixture editor.
I would try changing the 4 tilt channels to macro or other channels and simply naming them tilt 1, tilt 2, etc.

I think the problem is that the program wants to put the effect on the tilt function, but can't differentiate between the 4 individual ones, but simply thinks that all 4 functions for a tilt.

best regards
MrLJ

Post by MrLJ »

S.lellwitz wrote:I would try changing the 4 tilt channels to macro or other channels and simply naming them tilt 1, tilt 2, etc

This did indeed work.
Thanks a lot...
I was already thinking abt changing the fixture but wasn't sure what to change since nothing really made sense to me. But After you mentioned that it was just so obvious haha. I changed them to undefined channels just in case there might be any weird behavior if I define them as gobos... Now it works fine :D

It's still weird to me that the program overwrites that on the assumption "Oh hey it's tilt" like... it selects different DMX channels, in my opinion, this shouldn't happen.
But now that it works... I am happy.

Thx a lot again.
Mr.LJ
My Twitch Channel