USB connection problem

512 In, 512 out or 2x512 out. Stand Alone memory (512 out)

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

whitelightlampy

USB connection problem

Post by whitelightlampy »

Hi all, here's the situation...

I have a Macbook Pro running windows XP professional service pack 3 on Bootcamp. I've got myself a Daslight Gold box too.

I run the daslight may 23rd release as the more up to date versions crash/don't work with my keyboard in live/doesn't connect with the daslight gold box.

Now...The problem is the release of daslight I want to use doesn't want to work in any way or form other than Demo Mode and it doesn't seem to detect the box at all and I can't understand why. Upgrading to the current version of daslight works and connects the box but using the version before...doesn't.

Why would that be?

Bit of a strange one and im not sure if its dodgy drivers/software. Im certain it's nothing to do with the usb port or cable or any hardware.

Any ideas?

:?
Andre

Post by Andre »

I am sorry I don't think you will get much help as it is not supported on the MAC.
I know you are using Bootcamp but have you tried Fusion ?

It could be that the firmware needs to be updated for you to use the later versions.
Andre
whitelightlampy

Thanks for the reply,

It's worked before with no problem at all being on the mac. Bootcamp is pretty much just dual booting windows instead of mac. It runs like any Windows laptop but just...on a mac. Fusion does pretty much the same as bootcamp but runs it as a virtual machine while you run mac at the same time.

The low down I spose is that previous versions of DVC 2 aren't detecting the USB box but it's picking it up in device manager. The current version of DVC picks it up fine...just doesn't like my keyboard even though it lets me enter the shortcuts just doesn't let me activate them.

Verrrry strange.

Andre, I had a look at Just Floyds website and you run an awful lot of gear. Do you have a special way of programming all that (assuming you program you shutters/dimmers, colours and positions seperatly) or do you just have a massive screen to fit everything on?

Thanks
Andre

Post by Andre »

whitelightlampy wrote:Thanks for the reply,

It's worked before with no problem at all being on the mac. Bootcamp is pretty much just dual booting windows instead of mac. It runs like any Windows laptop but just...on a mac. Fusion does pretty much the same as bootcamp but runs it as a virtual machine while you run mac at the same time.

The low down I spose is that previous versions of DVC 2 aren't detecting the USB box but it's picking it up in device manager. The current version of DVC picks it up fine...just doesn't like my keyboard even though it lets me enter the shortcuts just doesn't let me activate them.

Verrrry strange.

Andre, I had a look at Just Floyds website and you run an awful lot of gear. Do you have a special way of programming all that (assuming you program you shutters/dimmers, colours and positions seperatly) or do you just have a massive screen to fit everything on?

Thanks

Hope you don't think I was being funny saying it's not supported on the MAC as I was not, just saying it so others can see that it is not supported, even if it is a dual boot machine and getting help will be very difficult.

Have you got the latest drivers installed and latest firmware on the interface.

Well at the moment I have 349 scenes in 30 groups.
I have all the colours and gobos I use as seperaste scenes for each type of fixture. Scenes for different positions for movers. Targetted positions as scenes for movers and fixed lights (ie they are named by the person in the band they are aimed at). Set piece scenes, i.e. Searchlights for the beginning of "Another Brick In The Wall" and the blinding of the audience with all lights in white in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", things like that. Most of it I do on the fly, I do not use Sound 2 Light at all.
I am always coming up with more and more pre-programmed set pieces that I also interact with to add other effects as and when needed.
I use a Sony Vaio that has a 17inch screen with a resolution of 1920x1200 but I still have to scroll the scene buttons left or right because we can't re-arrange the groups on the live page.
I have just started to use the Virtual Screen and will be running that on a 2nd monitor. That will have the most used scenes on it for easier triggering as I can colour code the background and text or even put a picture on the button. Make the buttons whatever size I like and position them where I like. It's a nice new(ish) feature that I have just worked out how to use. See this post for more info.

I wish you luck in resolving your issue. If you do resolve it could you make a post saying what you did so others in the same situation can also get theirs fixed.
Andre
whitelightlampy

Hi again all,

You'll be pleased to hear that the problem has been rectified and everythings works fine again.

I found the solution to the problem right here[url]http://www.daslight.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=193[/url]

Just to run though how I sorted it out on Windows Bootcamp is:

- Control Panel > Add or remove programs and looked for Siudi Driver and I uninstalled that.

- Then I went to where I installed Daslight and simply right clicked and deleted it and then emptied the recycle bin, otherwise it's not really 'deleted' sometimes.

- Restarted computer

- Opened the .exe for the version I wanted and let it install.

- Went to my computer in start menu, right clicked on manage

- Plugged in Daslight USB Box and then found it in USB controllers and then uninstalled it and once that finished scanned for hardware changes and it detected it and installed happily.

- I then opened Daslight and if by magic!...It now connects and works.

- I then continued on my merry button pressing ways.

Sorted.

Andre: Sounds pretty intense 349 scenes. It seems the best way to use Daslight is programming things separately and in logical ways like you've done.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Hi Whitelightlampy,

Glad you have got it all sorted and thanks for sharing the info.

Yeah it works for me, very flexible, but I would like an easy way to trigger a lot of scenes in one go and I do not mean by a keyboard shortcut. I am looking at doing it via MIDI but would rather have a button which when pressed will launch a list of scenes.
I am always looking for ways to make my job easier as it is very frentic at times.
Andre
vianney
Site Admin

Post by vianney »

The driver changed in 2008. so it is recommanded to UPDATE your driver.
The OLD driver is not compatible with the latest DVC2 version.
The new driver is not compatible with the OLD DVC2 version.

So if you did not update the driver, it is normal that the latest DVC2 version do not regonize your interface and start in DEMO mode.

To make shure that you update the driver, you need to check the Device manager.
You can reinstall manually the driver and choose the most update one (2006 = old, 2008/9 = new)