change scenes while performing a live gig

512 In, 512 out or 2x512 out. Stand Alone memory (512 out)

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

marc

change scenes while performing a live gig

Post by marc »

hello,

Is it possible to work on the editor page while doing a live gig.
So in the meantime my show has to go on.
I work only with laptop and an 512gold interface
Same question, what happens if the programm crashes and i have to restart?
I ask this question because i am rebuilding my lightshow and now everything works on the daslight.
What kind of safety/backup do you use to solve this problem.

Marc
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

there is a way of doing this. but it is quite tricky.

firstly I suggest your very first scene in your show should just be a blank scene ie generated with no content. this is your pathway from between live mode and the editor screen, after editing always place the cursor in this scene to prevent unwanted flashing of lights.

Next I suggest all your groups hav a dimmer on / off scene for dimmer channels and shutter channels, the reason for this is that when you select your scene for editing it will immidiately flash on the shutter and sweep the light to any programmed position.

now via the gateway scene 1. drop down to your scene for editing, make any changes then highlight the gateway scene and now click the live tab again. Job done.

for best results have a blank gateway scene in quite a few of your groups, this saves scrolling through the whole list each time you make an edit.

as for the program crashing, this is very rare and as such each time I make major changes to the program I rename it, ie use the save as function, this way you have a backup should you need it, another tip is when editing scenes , copy the existing scene make your edit, then if you don't like it you have a backup.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
marc

Post by marc »

Thanks Richard,

I also have seen a device on the market that could help me out.
A JB Systems DMS-26 DMX splitter -merger.
It has a function that holds the latetst DMX values when the signal drops.
I am only a bit afraid of using JB Systems for as it seems a B-brand article. Does anyone uses this and can give comments or another device which has the same possibilities?

I was also thinking on buying a DVC128 m which is now on sale at Baxshop.nl at a verry reasenable price to use as a backup.
Is it possible to switch without problems between a 512 gold and this 128 device (i know the limit is 128 instead of 512 dmx channels)

Marc
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hi Marc

I don't know about the JB systems product.

Regarding the backup, if you are using the DVC2GOLD I would save some scenes into the stand alone memory. If the software or windows were to crash, the stand alone scenes will kick in.

Daslight detects the USB interfaces when it is first started, so you will need to restart daslight if you were to swap the interfaces around.
marc

Post by marc »

Thanks Simon
DJ rann

Post by DJ rann »

i do know JB
its ok for parcans and beter than HQ power but i should not use it as a backup cuz it tends to fail when you most need it (it let me bown more than once)
i trust showtec in that case (thay have not let me down a singel time )
DJ rann