Midi Fader Programming Question

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

waynehaffenden

Midi Fader Programming Question

Post by waynehaffenden »

I'm not sure how to go about programming the following behaviour, I'm hoping someone could advise.

Let's say you have a moving head with a rotating gobo channel and this channel for example does both clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation at varying speeds. What I'm try to do is two things, firstly I'd like to create a scene where I can activate the gobo rotation and then control the speed of the rotation using a midi fader, however, to do this I'd need to set the fader to start the channel at 189 (slow speed) and then end at 128 (fast speed) and I'm not sure how to do this?

Secondly, I'd like to press another midi button to change the direction from say clockwise to anti-clockwise and then use the same fader to control speed which on the same fixture channel would be 194 (slow) to 255 (fast). Again, how can this programming be accomplished?

This will help me for multiple other programming behaviours such as prism rotation etc.

Looking forward to hearing how to do this.
Benno

Re: Midi Fader Programming Question

Post by Benno »

Unfortunately it's not possible to assign two different midi commands to the same control in Daslight. This is possible in the more advanced Sunlite Suite 2 software.

The developers are working on making changes to the way presets are mapped which should be ready in a couple of Beta's time. When the feature is available you will be able to map a button directly to a preset in the Palette window and then map a fader to change the values in that range.

At present you can create two different scenes for clockwise & anti-clockwise rotation and map them to your midi controller. You can also map a gobo/prism rotation channel to you Midi fader. However the fader will control the entire channel range so it won't be limited to clockwise or anticlockwise. Depending on what type of Midi Controller you have you could also limit the range of messages the controller sends to the software.
Benno
--
Product Support
waynehaffenden

Post by waynehaffenden »

Thanks for the explanation. Are you saying that this will never be achievable in Daslight as the more advanced functionality will always be in Sunlite or will future versions of Daslight eventually support similar advanced functionality like I'm after?

I'm guessing the DVC Fun box won't work with Sunlite? Is there an upgrade path as I've spent a fair bit of money on my DVC Fun box with additional channels and unlimited steps?

I have an APC Mini if this helps?
Benno

Post by Benno »

Thanks for the explanation. Are you saying that this will never be achievable in Daslight as the more advanced functionality will always be in Sunlite or will future versions of Daslight eventually support similar advanced functionality like I'm after?

All I can say is nothing is planned for now or the near future for Daslight. As I mentioned hopefully soon there will be the function to map a midi button directly to a preset (clockwise/anti clockwise gobo/prism rotation) and then use the midi fader to control that part of the channel. i.e speed up or slow down the rotation. However for this to work you will have to have the Palette window open which may not always be practical.

I'm guessing the DVC Fun box won't work with Sunlite? Is there an upgrade path as I've spent a fair bit of money on my DVC Fun box with additional channels and unlimited steps?

Unfortunately not, you need a Sunlite interface to work with the Sunlite software. We do offer an upgrade service but just so you're aware the Sunlite controllers are more expensive than Daslight.
http://www.nicolaudie.com/upgrades.htm

I have an APC Mini if this helps?

Apologies I'm not sure if you can limit the messages with the APC Mini but guessing maybe not. If you have a look in the manual it may give more info.

Hope that helps.
Benno
--
Product Support
waynehaffenden

Post by waynehaffenden »

Thanks for the information Benno. What's the chance of getting the functionality you spoke of with the Palette window working as you describe but programmable as a scene? This would most certainly be enough to achieve the effect I want.
Benno

Post by Benno »

Hi Wayne, this is a more advanced Sunlite feature and no plans to implement this into Daslight. Hope that helps.
Benno
--
Product Support