Run Your Lights Wireless with xbox 360 Controller!

512 In, 512 out or 2x512 out. Stand Alone memory (512 out)

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

BBRacing

Run Your Lights Wireless with xbox 360 Controller!

Post by BBRacing »

Elo peeps thought i would share this with you as i thought it was very intresting. Iv set up so my xbox 360 controller and run my light shows wireless. All ya need is a 360 controller and a xbox wirless adapter (connects to pc around £15) then download this software and configure it with your shortcut keys and away you go lol.
[url]http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

Very easy to use here is a idea of how to set ya lights up here is wot i done as a use transparent cues.
Joy Stick 1 Controll scanners
D Pad= movements
A,B,X,Y =Colours
A,B,X,Y (While holding LB) Changes pattern
A,B,X,Y(While holring RB) Changes LED Colours
LT=OPEN
RT=STROBE
Start=Smoke Machine

Let me no what you think if you do it i thought i was really impressive as my m8 want me to do lighting for his party so now i can enjoy partys aswell and dance while controlling the lights How cool is that lol (or im just sad u decide lol)

[/url]
Andre

Post by Andre »

That is pretty neat way of doing things, cheers for the info.
Andre
BBRacing

Post by BBRacing »

Hi andre i see your a lighting designer for pink floyd?
Just a question how the hell did you get into lighting design like that its a dream job that i would love to do but i just cant find anywere to get into it. I know alot about lighting and do many shows for schools ect but want to take it a bit further now any ideas, and i just noticed your from kent aswell lol. thanks Ben
Andre

Post by Andre »

Hi Ben,

LOL ... I wish, it is a tribute band called Just Floyd.

I got in after going to see my brother play and noticed that they di all the lighting via footswitches. My brother had 32 of them and the singer had some as well, I thought there must be a better way to do that so I started to investigate and it was not long before I had some scanners and LED Par Cans running from a Vellerman interface (that I built) and FreeStyler. He thought it was amazing and said I could do the lighting for the band, so things just got more expensive I decided on the Daslight product because out of all the others I tried it was the easiest to create the shows I wanted. Things have gone from strength to strength with my lighting for the band, I now have full RGB and RGY lasers that are full programable, in that I mean I can create my own shows and not really on the built in patterns etc.

Daslight DVC2 is still my favourite software at the moment.
I do hope that Daslight ups their game as it is a fantastic piece of software/hardware for the price.

Contact bands that you would like to do light shows for (preferably of music that you like to listen to) and see if they would be interested. You might find they already have someone do that for them, ask if you could help out, see what they do and how they do it and what equipment they have. You could chuck your own suggestions in, obviously not straight away, let them get to know you a bit first, obviously if you don't get on the do not press it any further unless you are confident that you can do a better job.
If the bands are on the pub/small club circuit then they will not be getting much money for the gigs they do. So that has to be taken into account i.e. you can't charge £400 per night for them to hire you and your lights if that is all they are making.

Originally I was doing the lights for Just Floyd for nothing other than travelling costs, one because it was my brother and two I needed an outlet because of the recent death of my wife. After the band saw what I could do with the lights they said I was now a band member so get a cut of whatever they earn.

I really enjoy doing the show, do not like the travel, set-up and take down. It is very hard work and if you are gigging Friday and Saturday and have long travels bewteen gigs it is very tiring. I still do not "make" any money but I certainly do not loose anything either, but I do find it so rewarding in many ways. Especially when you get a good reaction from the crowd after the gig. The band also think that the lighting makes the show on top of the music they play. Well you can't have a Floyd tribute without a light show.

Whatever you decide to do have fun doing it, try all different ways of achieving the same effect as you will be suprised to what you can learn about the software, I originally was a beta tester for DVC2 and it has progressed so much from those early days, but it still has a long way to go.
Andre