Locking up and 3D

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Dazbut

Locking up and 3D

Post by Dazbut »

:?: Hi all.
Hope someone can help. Only recently installed Daslight to my laptop (running Vista home) Got it all going and started some basic programming etc. However used in live mode at a small gig (first time) and in froze a number of times. It just goes into a 'not responding' message and thats it. Had to shut down via Windows Task Manager and then when i clicked to re-open the VC2 software, it said it was already running? only way out was to re-boot laptop. It froze when just using the VC2 software but also when i had the 3D visual on aswell. Just as an added note, when loading up the 3D visual, this take ages... 2mins plus! is that normal?
I think i have a well spec'd laptop, AMD Turion 64 X2 2GHz, Vista home SP1, with 2Gb RAM. I also used the disc and software that came with the product.
Is there any compatability issues with Vista? should i be running in XP mode? or does the DASlight prefer a full XP operating system?
Please help, love the Daslight!
Happy sound engineers, doing it LOUD
Andre

Re: Locking up and 3D

Post by Andre »

Dazbut wrote::?: Hi all.
Hope someone can help. Only recently installed Daslight to my laptop (running Vista home) Got it all going and started some basic programming etc. However used in live mode at a small gig (first time) and in froze a number of times. It just goes into a 'not responding' message and thats it. Had to shut down via Windows Task Manager and then when i clicked to re-open the VC2 software, it said it was already running? only way out was to re-boot laptop. It froze when just using the VC2 software but also when i had the 3D visual on aswell. Just as an added note, when loading up the 3D visual, this take ages... 2mins plus! is that normal?
I think i have a well spec'd laptop, AMD Turion 64 X2 2GHz, Vista home SP1, with 2Gb RAM. I also used the disc and software that came with the product.
Is there any compatability issues with Vista? should i be running in XP mode? or does the DASlight prefer a full XP operating system?
Please help, love the Daslight!

Yep I had this problem on my Vista laptop. If you un-plug the interface then the instance of the "stopped" DVC2 ends and you can run it again.

Download the latest drivers and firmware and update them.

I had to update the firmware of the interface from my XP system as it just got stuck on the Vista laptop.

I also updated the drivers etc. and now I do not have any problems with it locking up.

Try starting the laptop without the interface plugged in, start DVC2, wait until fully loaded then plug in the interface.

The reason I am saying this is I noticed that sometimes, it did not detect the interface if it was already plugged in and when you started DVC2 it then detected the interface and tried to load the drivers and also DVC2 was trying to access the interface to see what version it was and bingo a hang.

Yes it does take bit of a long time for the visualiser to start up, but should not be 2 minutes. It is however quite graphic intensive, try turning off advanced in rendering options and putting on wire (in the visulaiser), just for start-up purposes.

Also it will depend on what other programs are running both in the forground and background.

Hope that helps
Andre
Dazbut

Post by Dazbut »

Hi Andre
Tried the firmware but but interface is very new so wasn't need. Also the drivers were't able to be updated as again all was up-to-date. Even downloaded the VC2 from the web site and re-loaded. The interface is being reconised every time the VC2 is opened up so no problems there, but i just had the VC2 software running with 3D on and after using some simple scenes (with nothing connected to the interface ie no lights). After a while suddenly noticed the 3D was showing the virtual PARcans flashing, when the scenes were just simple presets. The VC2 had locked up. Closed the 3D and VC2. You were correct if you unplug the interface, it allows you to restart the vc2 software no problems, but i'm still getting the lockups?
any suggestions?
Dazbut

more info on my problem

Post by Dazbut »

:( I've been trying to see if there is something common when the VC2 locks up. I tryied putting both VC2 and 3D visual in to XP compatability mode but still locksup. Intresting how the 3D visual seems fine its just VC2. I did notice that when it locks up a few of the buttons at the bottom of the screen which are conneted with a fixture turn from green 'AUTO' to red 'LTP' and also as i'm in live mode a couple of scenes simply disappeared. Can't do anything in VC2 when it locks up and in order to close the program down it would only close once i unplugged the interface! and only via windows task manager. It seems to take some time before locking up 30mins plus?
Regarding the interface when i plug into the laptop(before launching VC2) there is an orange light on and a rapidly flashing red light plus 'OF' dispalyed. As soon as i launch VC2 a green light comes on (again very rapidly flashing) and the display is 'PC'... if it's relevant?

Anyone anymore suggestions???
Andre

Post by Andre »

OK does DVC2 start without the interface connected ? - Edit Just noticed that it does.

If so ensure that all of the buttons have been turned back to "Auto" (green). Right click them and choose "Auto". Save your show. So it's not trying to output DMX signals as soon as the program tries to start.

Might want to turn off the Auto Save feature as well, it's in the "Options" menu.
In "Options" I only have "Select Fixtures to control" ticked by default. I turn on the other as and when I need them and then turn them off before I close the program.

Remember this program is meant to be still in development so bugs are to be suspected, I suppose, but there have been a lot of problems with it lately on Vista, seemed to happen on mine after Vista SP1 was installed.

My interface shows "01" when connected but DVC2 not running, that is the stand-alone program number. When I start DVC2 it shows "PC" meaning connected to PC and software. I assume that "OF" is the stand-alone program number. Try using the buttons to select "01", before DVC2 is tarted of course.
I am not at home at the moment so do not have my interface with me, but I am sure that the lights do exactly what you say when connected "normally". I will check when I get home.

I do not think running it in XP mode will make any difference. It is meant to be compatible with Vista.

What interface do you have, either I am blind or you have not said.
Andre