Midi Mapping

The new Daslight - for PC and Mac

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

S.lellwitz
Operating System: Windows

Midi Mapping

Post by S.lellwitz »

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of testing a little midi MIDI mapping and sensibly integrating my controller into Daslight.

Now I noticed that you can map futures such as dimmer, pan, tilt, etc., which is quite helpful for programming.

now the big but.
If I do this for the gobo channel I can only change the fader value for the currently selected gobo and not change the gobo via the fader.

That makes no sense to me.
Is there a solution?

best regards
willm

Re: Midi Mapping

Post by willm »

Hello,

If you go to the 'Faders' screen, you can map the Gobo channel to your MIDI controller.

Kind regards,
Will
Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 14.01.53.png
Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 14.01.53.png (170.46 KiB) Viewed 515 times
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

In this case the gobo fader would only be for this specific lamp.

I also need this fader, but only for live operation.
S.lellwitz

Post by S.lellwitz »

I also don't understand the meaning behind the fact that I have a fader that only moves in a certain DMX value range (e.g. Gobo1)

This might make a difference with something like Gobo Rotation, but even there I don't understand the meaning.

If there was at least a way to change this to give the user a choice.

In its current state, this fader simply doesn't make any sense.
because in the case of gobos, for example, it simply doesn't do anything.
willm

Post by willm »

Hello,

Hmm, perhaps then the best solution for now is to all the fixtures you want to be mapped to this fader for their respective Gobo Wheel channels, then map each to the same fader.

The reason that this works in it's current state is that the Features window you are seeing is not entirely the same as manually adjusting the faders. Each Gobo option you can see is sort of like a shortcut to a specific DMX value on that channel. Features are designed to be global so that you can select as many fixtures as you like and control them quickly in one screen. There are a few reasons that we do not have a fader for adjusting the absolute value of the Gobo Wheel channel, for example: To do this, we would have to be a fader that takes any Gobo Wheel channel from 0-255. This means that if you select multiple different fixtures and adjust the fader, they will all change at different times since every fixture has different value ranges for each Gobo so for example you move the fader to show a star Gobo on one fixture, but it now is showing a full Gobo Wheel rotation on the other fixture. There would be no logical way to control this in the current setup for Daslight, but perhaps it is something we will look into for future versions of Daslight!

The dial that appears next to the Gobo is because the preset has been marked as 'linear' in the profile itself. Some fixtures have a feature where certain Gobos will shake or rotate as you increase the fader value, this is why we include this feature.

Kind regards,
Will