Daslight4 - Greg's 2016 feedbacks, suggestions and bugs

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Gregory_D
Operating System: Windows

Daslight4 - Greg's 2016 feedbacks, suggestions and bugs

Post by Gregory_D »

Hi,
Daslight4 is really an amazing software, full of great features and simple to use.
I want to share my feedbacks, suggestions and maybe bugs about last Beta versions (or Official ones), so here my thread for that. I'll add a post here each time i've something to give, and will add an update to the point if it's been implemented.

If i give something already possible and avail, just tell me how please.

Suggestions:

• 1- "Sin" curve by default :
    ---Update : added in the 29nov2016 version---

In Effects Generator, adding a curve effect, i don't know if i'm (or not) the only one to use "Sine" most of the time but it would be great if "Sine" could be the first by default in the drop down list of curves instead of "Double Pulse". I also use other curves, but the most used is certainly "Sine".

• 2- Curve size changing by the middle :
    ---Update : we can already change the size and then offset---

In Effects Generator, adding a curve effect, if i change the size of the effect, it will change it by the "bottom" and not by the "middle" of it. Except for Simple and Double Pusle, in those two cases, size is changing correctly by the middle of the curve, and not by the bottom. It would be really faster and easier to have it for all type of curves. Because the size of the fixture position (curve applied to pan or tilt etc..) will be larger or smaller depending on the center changing size by the middle of the curve and not modified totally if it's changing like actually by the bottom of the curve (actually we have to change the size and the offset of the curve just to correct the size/the range of an effect). Difficult to explain, just tell me if i'm not clear.
Official_Version Aug 01 2016_Windows
Last edited by Gregory_D on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Gregory_D

Re: Daslight4 - My feedbacks, suggestions and bugs

Post by Gregory_D »

New suggestions:

• 3- Hide or display "play" buttons on live :
    It would be good if the top bar of each group with "previous, play, pause, next" buttons on live page could hidden or displayed on choice. Just to make space, clearer interface. I think they're not always used for all groups, so why to display them all time... Better to hide them, and click on a little arrow (eg. like dimmer and speed scene one) to make them appear if needed.
Beta_Version Sep 13 2016_Windows
Last edited by Gregory_D on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Gregory_D

Re: Daslight4 - My feedbacks, suggestions and bugs

Post by Gregory_D »

New ergonomic suggestion:

• 4- New name for snapshot in Live mode :
    The live edit snapshot or general snapshot buttons are great, but it would be even better if the software ask a custom scene name when we click on the button before creating the snapshot brand new scene placed in the scene group selected.
    It would prevent a heavy action ; after creating the scene, to go to edit mode, select the new scene, then edit the name of this new scene, and then back to live again, and works in blind mode only. It would be a lot more fast and useful when we creates several live snapshots to save in different scene group because it can be too difficult to remember exaclty what was the "Scene" after several minutes of a show... Thx

I'll see soon if some of my previous suggestions here in this thread are implemented in the latest october Beta version because i'll test it later this week...
Last edited by Gregory_D on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Gregory_D

Re: Daslight4 - Greg feedbacks, suggestions and bugs

Post by Gregory_D »

• 5- Lock Patch mode, Edit mode and all software parameters in "read and use only state" if needed :
    --- Update : already avail in preferences ---

It would be nice if we could lock main edits and parameters of Daslight if we only want to render a show. It can happen i program scene for someone else, with all parameters, patch done etc... and this person then only use the live and/or show mode view to restituate scenes and effects i've set-up. So, if i want this person to not touch anything intentionally or not, from patch, edit scenes, or from software preferences, it would be good if we can lock those change, and so the software and all scenes are protected in "read only" state. It can be by password (different from the lock show mode) or just a lock option in software option drop-down list or something else, pretty simple for the programmer who can reactivate the "normal" mode simply for him in advanced performance. This way the Project is preserved and the "newbie" user can't hurt anything if the software has been put in this state by a better expert person.
Beta19oct2016, Win10
Last edited by Gregory_D on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Benno

Post by Benno »

Hi Greg, thanks for the suggestions. I have added some responses below.

We understand that most people use the Sine curve. I have passed this on to to the Developers so this can be changed in a future Beta.

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s not something we are planning to change at present. As you mentioned you can change the position by adjusting the offset.

Thanks for the suggestion we will take this in to consideration for future version however no plans to implement this as a feature at the moment.

Again thanks for the suggestion, this would be a useful feature. Not something we are planning to implement for Daslight 4 but I have put this in the new features list for a future release.

• 5- Lock Patch mode, Edit mode and all software parameters in "read and use only state" if needed :
The ‘Lock’ option (padlock symbol) on the top right of the Live tab will block access to the Patch, Edit and System Preferences already once a password is set. Hopefully this will help.
Benno
--
Product Support
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

Benno wrote:Hi Greg, thanks for the suggestions. I have added some responses below.

We understand that most people use the Sine curve. I have passed this on to to the Developers so this can be changed in a future Beta.

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s not something we are planning to change at present. As you mentioned you can change the position by adjusting the offset.

Thanks for the suggestion we will take this in to consideration for future version however no plans to implement this as a feature at the moment.

Again thanks for the suggestion, this would be a useful feature. Not something we are planning to implement for Daslight 4 but I have put this in the new features list for a future release.

The ‘Lock’ option (padlock symbol) on the top right of the Live tab will block access to the Patch, Edit and System Preferences already once a password is set. Hopefully this will help.

Thank you very much for your help Benno, and sorry for the delay in my response, i was very busy these days.

Cool for the #1. It'll be really faster.
Thanks for #2 #3 and #4
For #5 : I didn't know each lock feature in each mode lock all. Thx.

Very very helpful and constructive. I think i'll keep posting suggestions and bugs here if you're Ok.
Thx again.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

I've spotted a new bug in the last Beta :
No color displayed in little square fader preview...

Example with a generic fixture, RGB, 3 ch, address@1
Square small previews for mixed colors (on top of each fader) don't display the color at all, they remains black.
If i move up the fader of green for example (fader/ch 2) in edit mode, the green appears correctly on the fixture preview window on right but not in the small square above each fader on left, to see the statut preview of the channel. Normally green color should appear in the three small square, but they remain black (as if all the 3 ch are at 0).
Gobo, color wheel etc... preview are fine.
And, if it can help, it does exactly the same bug on Live and Show mode, but not totally in Patch mode. In Patch mode, small square channel previews flash with the color when/during i move a fader, but remain black if i stop to move up or down the fader.
I think it worked properly in previous Dsl4 versions.
Please see the screenshot attached. Not easy to tell, and i can not manage to do a video screenshot for the moment.

the color of black squares should be green...
the color of black squares should be green...
2016-11-11_16h37_08.jpg (25.47 KiB) Viewed 14553 times

In addition, a new improvement/pretty bug suggestion :
    6- Double-click on faders in Show mode returns it to its real default value (it depends on the nature of the fader) :
    In show mode, if i double-click on a fader i've inserted, always it goes totally down (value=0).
    But it would be nice to see the fader return to its real default value when i double-click on it, depending of the nature of the fader.
    Meaning, a "scene speed fader" should be reset to 50% and not 0. Another example with "Grand Master fader", should be set to 100% by default if i double click. And other "fader from fixture channels" should be 0 (as is already the case). "Scene dimmer fader" should be by default at 100% if i double click and not 0% etc....
    In Live mode, all is fine : if i double-click on a "scene speed fader", it returns on 50%. If i double click on "Scene Dimmer fader" it returns on 100% etc etc...
    Please, just do fader double click action in Show mode like in Live mode, and all will be fine and set to its correct default value i think.
    Not sure if it's a bug, or just set like that, this is why i put it in my suggestions list...
THX.

Beta19oct2016, Windows
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

Gregory_D wrote:I've spotted a new bug in the last Beta :

Square small previews for mixed colors (on top of each fader) don't display the color at all, they remains black.
If i move up the fader of green for example (fader/ch 2) in edit mode, the green appears correctly on the fixture preview window on right but not in the small square above each fader on left, to see the statut preview of the channel. Normally green color should appear in the three small square, but they remain black (as if all the 3 ch are at 0).
And, if it can help, it does exactly the same bug on Live and Show mode, but not totally in Patch mode. In Patch mode, small square channel previews flash with the color when/during i move a fader, but remain black if i stop to move up or down the fader.
Please see the screenshot attached. Not easy to tell, and i can not manage to do a video screenshot for the moment.

2016-11-11_16h37_08.jpg

In addition, a new improvement/pretty bug suggestion :
• 6- Double-click on faders in Show mode returns it to its real default value (it depends on the nature of the fader)

All about last Beta version 29nov2016 :

-- It seems the bug i mentionned above is corrected in the last Beta. Colors seems to appear correctly in fader previews.

-- My suggestion / bug mention of my point #6 is still relevant though in the 29nov2016 version.

-- Thank you very much for the Sine curve effect first in the list, much faster and easier !

-- Thx for adding the ability to enter value in effect parameters.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Benno

Re: Daslight4 - Greg's 2016 feedbacks, suggestions and bugs

Post by Benno »

Hey Greg, apologies must of missed that one. Just reported this and expect a fix in a future Beta. Have a good weekend.
Benno
--
Product Support
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

Benno wrote:Hey Greg, apologies must of missed that one. Just reported this and expect a fix in a future Beta. Have a good weekend.

I guess you're talking about my suggestion/bug #6 ? No worries, nothing is urgent ! Thank you very much.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

• 7- Add "Select all dimmers" choice in effect generator for fixture with only multiple dimmer:
This new suggestion is about fixtures with only dimmer channels, like blinders, like Sunstrip DMX with 10 dimmer channels for the 10 lamps. In any effect generator, it would be good to have a "Select all dimmer" choice in drop-down list of channels to affect with the effect, instead of selecting all dimmers (10 in my example) each one by one, when we want to use all dimmer and so all lamps in an effect.
This choice would be faster and in addition to still have the choice to select specific dimmer, to also apply effect on only selected channels too when needed.
Thx.

Beta 29th November, Windows
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

Gregory_D wrote:I've spotted a new bug in the last Beta :

fader preview should be green eg.
fader preview should be green eg.
2016-11-11_16h37_08.jpg (25.47 KiB) Viewed 14095 times

Official version december 22th,2016, Windows

Hi, i think, it's still a bug finally.
I understood from where this bug is :

If you enable fader animation in preferences, fader previews are displaying correctly the colors and gobos etc... small images.
If you disable (not checked) fader animation preference, fader previews are not displaying correctly small images, and it displays only black color.

Can you confirm it 's a bug please ?
Small square fader previews should always to display something, even if there are different values from the same channel (eg. multiple fixtures selected with multiple different values on the same channel). But except that, those fader preview should always display color, gobo, images etc... to know the real status of the channel.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
Benno

Post by Benno »

Hi Gregory,

Yes this looks like a bug. I have reported this to the developers so they can investigate and fix for the next Beta. Many thanks.
Benno
--
Product Support