Easy View 2 - Scanners TILT calibration

Real-time 3D simulation

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

matti.suvela
Operating System: Mac OS X

Easy View 2 - Scanners TILT calibration

Post by matti.suvela »

Hi,

I noticed that the TILT calibration of the EV2beta visualization is a bit off (about 30° too much).

I have a Stairville JunoScan MK II, and the beam is not quite in the right place when using the 3d visualization.

Heres a short video of the problem:

https://youtu.be/em8GVEV3KWE

Cheers!

-Matti
TomHat

Re: Easy View 2 - Scanners TILT calibration

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

I have passed this on to the developpers in charge of this software. They will look into it and hopefully make it work better for next version.

Note : There is a great chance this problem comes from the SSL file, probably created with wrong pan/tilt info.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
matti.suvela
Operating System: Mac OS X

Post by matti.suvela »

Great thanks!

I tried several different scanners, but the problem stayed the same... I guess the "TILT calibration" of how EV2 visualises all scanners is wrong in EV2.
The beam of the scanner moves too little when dmx level is MAX 255, and it moves too much when dmx level is MIN 0.
(I attached a photo to clarify)
EV2 visualization BUG - scanner TILT.png
EV2 visualization BUG - scanner TILT.png (106.05 KiB) Viewed 15614 times

A few scanners in EV2 move more than mentioned above, but they have wrong max. angle setup in their ssl file (i.e. PAN 360° & TILT 220°, which don´t exist in real life scanners...)

I hope you guys find the problem!

Cheers!
-Matti

P.S. I´ve just started using DL4/EV2 and I think your software is GREAT!
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

Thanks alot for this illustration of the issue. This will actually help our developpers spot the source of the problem.
We're glad you liked our softwares :D

Have a great day.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

DivusJulius
Operating System: Windows

Post by DivusJulius »

Hello everybody.
I am not entirely sure if the exact Problem wich is described above has been fixed or if there was a major change in the software wich now enables me to fix this problem but here is a fix for anybody intrested in using Easy View 2 with Movingheads, Scanners or anything really that has a PAN TILT functionality.

The Mistake wich causes the problem is truly present in the SSL files. As discovered above many SSL files contain wrong information about the PAN TILT function.
When testing my own 3D Simulation of the Stage I am currently working on I had the exact same Issue as described above. The SSL file contains a PAN value of 360° and a TILT value of 220°.Wich is simply wrong. For most users this does not matter at all. This does in no way interfere with the functionality of a moving head. Just when loading it into Easy View the Problem really shows its Face.
Easy View thinks that my Moving Head will be at a certain position when I Input the Max Value while it actually moves further. I will add an Ilustration wich explains it.
The Solution is quite easy. Changing the SSL file should obviously fix it but if you want to fix it without even leaving Easy View 2 simply edit the Settings of the affected Fixture and you will see the correct input immiediatly. Just input the correct values in Easy View or the SSL file and the problem is gone.
Images
https://imgur.com/RNjYCql
https://imgur.com/TYp0m7t
https://imgur.com/pWX2IQS

If Easy View thinks the Moving Head turned for x amount of degrees but it actually turns for y amount of degrees, the simulation cannot match.
Have a nice day. Oh and Dashlight. It would be nice if somebody took a look at the SSL files for everything that PAN´s and TILT´s. It seems like there are a few mistakes there.
Goodbye
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hello DivusJulius,

Indeed, it would be a good thing. Of course we try our best to get as many files fixed as possible, though we still have a lot left to fix.
Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty, hope you enjoy everything else about our softwares.

Best regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support