Issues With Digital Dimmer Packs

Original software version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

James E

Issues With Digital Dimmer Packs

Post by James E »

Hello. I am running several digital dimmer packs for my par 64s, however
I have 2 analog dimmer packs on line. My issue is this. All my digital packs cause my par 64s to flicker. The analog packs (whitch are on line with the digital ones) have no issue. I can take the data cable and unpluge it from the interface and plug it into my console and there is no and it there is no flickering. So this has to be an issue with the software or interface. I believe that the data signal needs to be refreashed. Some of the cheapest virtual programs have this option. How can I adjust this ? or dose anyone have and idea what my issue is?
I am useing virtual controller 1
Thankyou
James E[/color]
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

I have had this problem with Mad lighting, unfortunately the dimmer packs are actually at fault. They do not conform properly to DMX protocol.

This is the refresh rate that causes the problem. The dimmer packs would probably work fine if only 192 channels of dmx are sent, as they have time to refresh, but on 512 the speed of processing is not fast enough to keep up.

Some dmx computer software has the option to slow down the dmx packets, this is not an option with daslight, (nor in hteory should it be) the packs are possibly older than the current DMX protocol, or just budget packs designed for slider type controllers.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

If you have one of the latest DVC2Gold or DVC2512 interfaces (64 bit purchased after Feb 2010), you can slow down the DMX refresh rate within the hardware tools (tools.exe).
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

Simon please explain why you have introduced this feature now, and what can you do if you have an older interface. I am curious why now, as you explained before thet the DMX protocol on all Daslight interfaces falls well within the book specifications.

I assumed it was people like Mad lighting and some budget dimmers that had lower spec DMX that struggled to keep up with the refresh rate.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Basically Daslight will always send DMX at a rate of 25 FPS. With the new hardware design we have added the ability to change the physical output rate. Eg if it i set to 50 it will repeat each Daslight message twice...if it is set to 12 it will only send out ever other message from Daslight. The reason for us implementing this is to help Daslight support more of the cheaper fixtures and to help diagnose problems. The feature will not be available with any other interfaces at the moment because this is not just a software update, it is a feature on the new boards.
James E

Post by James E »

SimonB Thank You for the Info I thought the refreash rate was the issue. But I still do not see the option where to refreash