sunlite <-> lumidesk <-> daslight = confusion!

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

schrullpiep

sunlite <-> lumidesk <-> daslight = confusion!

Post by schrullpiep »

Hello Folks!

I am new on dmx software.

So far i used a basic common dmx hardware controller but want to go further. Why? I got moving lights :D

But I am annoyed a little. There are so many softwares that seems to be siblings. dasligth, sunlite, lumidesk, x-control, the same her, not the same there?!? Just here goes some discussions about sunlite.

Why are there so many versions and what are the goals, pros and cons of every software?

Thank you, Rico
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

if you read this forum carefully, you will realise they are only sister companies because they all use the same hardware manufacturer. Nicaloudie. which from deduction is French. and because the hardware is common so is some of the software. ie 3D magic. or The 3D visualiser. all the same shared program.

But Sunlite is nothing to do with Daslight, andf the Nicolaudie hardware is purpously not interchanegable . as this would mean that users could buy hardware and choose software. Not in the manufacturers best interests.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
schrullpiep

Post by schrullpiep »

Thank you for this look behind the curtain Richard.

As a DJ I will concentrate my Interest in daslight.

kind regards, Rico
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

As a DJ I would definitely look at Daslight or LumiDesk, they are both very quick get used to. Download them both, have a play and pick your favourite! Drop a post here if you have any other questions
performance stage

Simon

Post by performance stage »

So are you saying that Lumidesk is compatible with the DVC2 dongle?

I love daslight and I think the Sunlight interface quite frankly looks like azz.
Nothing is visible without Light
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

You need a Daslight dongle with Daslight, a Lumidesk dongle with Lumidesk a Sunlite dongle with Sunlite. What I was saying was that both software packages are available for free so download them both, play with them and then buy the interface which works best for you.

I love daslight and I think the Sunlight interface quite frankly looks like azz.

It looks like "azz" does it? As I am responsible for a lot of the Sunltie Suite 2 development I would love to hear what leads you to this opinion.
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

You tell him Simon.

but in fairness, as you know I prefer Daslight, even though Sunlight would be much better for my show. But Daslight seems to be far more logical in its usability.

I have never been able to get my head around Sunlight.

So the solution is Daslight with all the features sunlight has, hopefully that will be DVC 3.

We are all waiting with baited breath.

ps. slightly worried that the latest stable download is automatically putting groups in alphabetical order. Do let me know when this is solved please.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

I looked into the alphabetical ordering. It turns out that this was never actually added, it is just the bug with the reordering that has been fixed.
schrullpiep

Post by schrullpiep »

Not to forget, I got my daslight DVC2 Gold recently and started programming.

Its logical (mostly ;).

Question: Is there a preset for an eight movement in the fx editior? Or do I have to sqeeze an circle until it looks like an eight everytime?

Note: The fixture preset for the american dj accu ufo is not very lifelike in the preview. In Know that this is a very special fixture but it would be gentle when you create an special rendering for this one.

Note 2: The preset for the adj fantasy scan comes empty. Loading an empty ssl crashes dvc2. I have made an ssl for this fixture but its a bit uncomfortable because I havent found an "save as" function in the library editor. So you cant easily start with an similar fixture like the adj accu scan, modify, save as.

First you have to make a backup, save that somewhere, load the source, modify it, safe it, rename it in the explorer, copy the backup back from the safe. Thats not the smart way.

thank you
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Question: Is there a preset for an eight movement in the fx editior? Or do I have to sqeeze an circle until it looks like an eight everytime?

Sorry, there is not!

The fixture preset for the american dj accu ufo is not very lifelike in the preview

We have no plans to update the 3D anytime soon, it does the simple job of allowing you to program away from the show. We prefer to invest time in making new control functions instead.

The preset for the adj fantasy scan comes empty

True, I have just removed it, pelase send me the one you have made and I will check it and upload it, thanks

I havent found an "save as" function in the library editor

It's in the main menu, click the circle at the top left
schrullpiep

Post by schrullpiep »

Hi Simon,

thank you for the answers.

I will test the adj fantasy scan preset over the weekend and send it to you.

Ive also fixed the triphase preset (color channel) and send this then too.

kind regards, Rico