Lights not Blacking out

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

stardustgr

Post by stardustgr »

i now what u mean thats way i am telling you to check your system with other console dmx . i was in the same spot with you using audio cable for years until one day the lights gone grazy moving heads not at possision that i have program movent whas not smooth flasing leds and other things. from that momment i work only with dmx cable and everything its fine. dont forget to check them with other console.

and something else who many led bars u have ? try to connect one at time and check them to see what its going on maybe one par led have problem and geting your dmx signal grazy. so connect the first one if it works fine go to seccond untill u put the all toggether

good luck mate
tony from greece
dj2l8

Post by dj2l8 »

Also I have just changed the system with 3 different XLR cables I had lying around and they all give the same problem..
stardustgr

Post by stardustgr »

also ckeck this in youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4f7WxnMa0Q

go to 03:14 to understand what i am saying for the cables

tony greece
stardustgr

Post by stardustgr »

do u have you or maybe a friend of yours a console dmx to try to connect them there to check them,

and the other xlr that u have is audio ,mic cable also ?
dj2l8

Post by dj2l8 »

I have 3 KAM LED light bars
http://www.kam.co.uk/index.php?action=p ... duct_id=49

I just checked with a New DMX cable with Each Unit individually and I get the same error on each light on it own
Last edited by dj2l8 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
stardustgr

Post by stardustgr »

also dont forge t to terminate the dmx signal at the last led bar that u have look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRhZ8-RHXBo
stardustgr

Post by stardustgr »

so try to find a onother console to check the led bars if with other console work fine the problem is in the interface :cry:

try to change the audio cable with data cable and check them again

try to terminate the dmx signal at the last bar led

i hope i have help u
tony greece
dj2l8

Post by dj2l8 »

Another Console will result In me Buying one? :( I will try the terminator but I am feeling convinced its the dame interface
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

it is extremely unlikely to be the cable. I have only ever used mic cable and on 100 ft runsn never had a problem, i have also never used a terminator, again never had a problem.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
dj2l8

Post by dj2l8 »

So Rich what are you conclusions?
stardustgr

Post by stardustgr »

i will not say that in your place rich because u have work with mic cables and everything was fine it dosent mean that this is the right thing to do. thats why there are different cables for mic -audio signal and other for dmx - data. a lot of times with mic cables u can work the dmx signal but you having problems lights flashing moving heads at slow speed movement dosent have a smouth operation its like working with 8 bit and no 16 bit also for the terminator look at the video that i have post . ok everything maybe works but the differnts is in the details and sometimes details are critical for are work. as light designers, programers ,operators ,. i am just saying my opinion.

tony greece
dj2l8

Post by dj2l8 »

Well I checked each light with a High qaulity DMX cable NOT Mic Cable and I still get the same random flashing...I think my intereface is messed up..where do I send for repair? Any where close to UK>?
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

It sounds like a dmx output chip problem.

is your box dual universe, ie gold or 512 non eco. If so try using the other output to see if this is the problem. you willl need to make a dmx female to female converter for this.

another solution is to swop over the DMX output chips inside the interface.
do this very carefully as not to damage the pins on the chips. also check for the correct way round of the chips when you swop them over.

I have had to do this in the past, when I got a mains voltage down the warth wire, the chips are standard dmx in/out chips, so you can swop wit a chip from almost any dMX product. but not dual in /out chips, easy to spot they have the number 8 in their code.
dj2l8

Post by dj2l8 »

its 128M..don't have the Gold package...and to be honest I am not electrician ..I am just a a simple DJ!
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

the 128-M only has the one universe output, and restricted to 128 chanels, the best option is to contact Simon and ask for a replacement box to be shipped to you , then get a refund when you return yours.

It does sound like a faulty output on the box, the best test method would be to use a conventional controller to check the signal is getting to all heads correctly. this would eliminate the wiring and the heads as being the cause of the problem.

It could be a burnt out resistor on the earth line, I have had this problem before with soundlab scanners, replacement of the resistor solved the problem, either way you need and expert to come and have a look at your set up and evaluate what is going on.

It is a shame the "disco shops" are dissapearing, because this was the very thing we used to solve. I had to close mine because of the internet.

rant over!!