Daslight Software Questions

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

adamski1010

Daslight Software Questions

Post by adamski1010 »

Hello Folks,
I'm new to the forums, and the software and have a few questions.
I'm a long time Avolites Pearl and ETC congo lighting console user and am just getting into this whole PC lighting control thang. Daslight DVC2 seems like an interesting product but after just a few minutes on it I'm already stuck!

1. I have patched a few movers and generics and then 'rigged' them in the 3D Simulator. I have then programmed a couple of basic positions for the movers. However, when I go into live mode and cue through a few of these static positions, the fixtures in the 3D sim dont seem to actually move, so much as jump. I was hoping to see the fixtures move as per the pre-set fade time etc, not just jump instantly to the next position. This does tend to make programming in 'offline' mode somewhat difficult. Is this just an option that needs changed or instead, a limitation to the software? (This does not seem to be an issue in ADJ MyDMX.)

2. I have programmed a few 'Presets' for the movers including Positions, colours, gobos, and movements etc. On a normal LX desk (Avo Pearl for instance) I would set the desk to record by channel rather than fixture so that only the channels (pan, tilt, colour etc) that I adjusted would be recorded, meaning that I could combine multiple presets at once in 'Live mode'. (I could use position preset 5 and colour preset 2 at the same time.) On Daslight what seems to happen is that upon creating a new scene, you record all the parameters of a fixture rather than just the ones you adjusted meaning that I would have to create hundreds of scenes in order to busk a normal rock show. Is there any solution to this? Am i just missing something?

Sorry for the long winded question, I hope someone can answer these questions as at the moment I'm baffled...

Kind Regards,

Adam
Quake Central Sound Services
U.K.
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hi Adam

First of all, you may find that Daslight is a little more basic compared to your Perl. If you want the same features of the Perl + more, you might want to take a look at our Sunlite Suite 2 range (www.nicolaudie.com).

If you want your scenes to fade between each other, you need to:
1. Set a fade time on the first step of your scene
2. Make sure the fading checkbox is checked (editor tab, far left)
3. Make sure fading is enabled on the LIVE tab (top toolbar, red+blue icon)

Regarding your second question, Daslight interoperates 0 as off. So if you want to create a color preset to layer over over effects, you just need to make sure the other presets are set to 0. In the next version of DVC, the 0=off will be replaced by an OFF channel state as sometimes you need to include 0 in a scene and Daslight will ignore it!

Let me know if you have any other questions and check out the Daslight getting started video tutorials
adamski1010

Post by adamski1010 »

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your reply. I tried your recommendations and still couldnt achieve smooth movement fades. I have set a couple of moving light positions (just using the fixture controls, not the FX generator) but despite adding a fade time to each scene and pressing the fade enable button, the 3d vis still does not show the actual movements of the fixtures. Anything I could have missed?

Cheers
Adam