another muisc question

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Bobmackadoo

another muisc question

Post by Bobmackadoo »

Hi, I'm completely new to daslight, and have a ton of questions, i'm going through eveything i can find on line, so as not to post unescessay questions, i'm sort of muddling through understanding this program, but the going is very slow, i've learned how to add fixtures, and use the 3d virtualizer, but only barely, at this point i'm tryin to wrap my head around adding music to a light show, i have no idea how to do this, i've heard the term midi tossed around, is there a program i should use such as audacity, i'm trying to create a light show for an individual song, a link to ay tutorials would be very helpful, this is all being done for a mobile dj company. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hi Bob

I'm tryin to wrap my head around adding music to a light show

1. Select the live tab
2. Create an effect button(top left)
3. Select "Play Audio" and select your audio file

An effect button can be used to:
A. Trigger a scene
B. Play an audio file
C. Trigger any live values (these can be set by adjusting the faders at the bottom of the screen when the Effect properties dialog is open)

i've heard the term midi tossed around

Buttons in Daslight, including effects buttons can be triggered by MIDI. You could play a song using DJ software and set the DJ software to send a particular MIDI message over to Daslight to start the effect or scene.

a link to ay tutorials would be very helpful,

Getting started video tutorials can be found here:
http://www.daslight.com/tutorials.php
Bobmackadoo

Post by Bobmackadoo »

hey man, thanks a bunch for the help, i coulda spent hours lookin for that stuff. i'm not sure if i'm understanding this right, what i'm trying to do is make a light show for a specific song, seven nation army by the white stripes, what i'm trying to do is time different parts of the song with different light movements, such as making a light flash in time with a drum beat, then on a guitar riff have a light fade up with it. things like that, it seems like daslight can start a preprogrammed show, but i want to create cues in different parts of a song to activate different stuff, is that possible, is something like tat extremely complicated, should i use a program like audacity for this. I have a very small setup, 2 rgb spots, 2 rgb mega bars, 2 4 pod rgb mega bars, an thats all i'm tryin to use for this song, but the way i'm doing it, it would probably take me a day and a half to do a show for one song, maybe longer, i gotta be doin something seriously wrong, i could really use some help, or perspective or whatever
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

I think the best way to do this in Daslight is to either create all your different parts as scenes and put them inside a group. A group can be treated like a cuelist. When the track starts, hit the first scene, then use the "Next" property to automatically play the next scene at the relevant time.

Say the song intro is 8 seconds and then verse 1 is 16 seconds...you might make an "intro" scene which lasts 2 seconds and have it repeat 4 times and in the "Next" column select your "verse1" scene which could last 8 seconds and repeat have this loop 2 times.
overington99

Hey ...

Post by overington99 »

Add me on Skype overington10 and then I will help you out and il show you quick tips
Lightshouk.yolasite.com Jaime