Broken fixture - need to remap scenes!

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

smokeAndMirrors

Broken fixture - need to remap scenes!

Post by smokeAndMirrors »

Ok so a fixture (scanner) failed on my last gig, and I can't get a replacement for the SOB, they're discontinued and none are on eBay. So.... I have a couple of similar scanners to replace them, BUT their DMX channels are quite different, so is there a way I can take the existing scenes and replace the old fixture with the new one so they behave similarly?

Eg if channel 1 is pan on the new but it's channel 3 on the old, then the conversion will re-jig things so that what was sending to channel 3 now sends to channel 1.

I'm guessing "no". The alternative is to then go through every step of every scene and do the conversion manually, which will be time-consuming, tedious and error-prone. Of course, if Daslight were good enough to publish the file format for their .dvc binaries, I could write the mapper myself. Any chance of that?
A lie goes half way around the world before the truth gets its pants on.
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

Good luck with that one. I don't think there are any developers at all in the Daslight pen.

OK this is something I have tried in the past and will only qwork once. so I suggest pan and tilt are the most important. what you can do is create a new profile then delete the old fixture from the patch, but the information is still there.

Now patch the new one over the pan and tilt of the old one. All the other channels will need deleting individually in each scene but better than having to do everything.

let us know how you get on.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience