sound to light, midi ???

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

marc

sound to light, midi ???

Post by marc »

Hello,

Being rather new in the DMX world i have following question.
I'm using Daslight for over a year now (mobile dj, party's at different locations)
The only thing that botters me is the use of sound to light. I tried the suggestions on this forum, setting the BMP analyser on hand etc. but the result isn't that good.
Now the term MIDI is frequently named.
Could bring this the sollution to my problem? What can i do with which MIDI software. Keep in mind that i don't create a show which is linked to certain songs. My 'Lightcollegue' now plays with the buttons in livemode according to the songs i play.
So can my mixer output go to a MIDI programm to get better sound to light possibylities?

I also read something about a DLL file to filter only the bass sound, how does this work and where can i find this DLL?

All advice is welcome.

Greetings Marc
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hi Marc

MIDI control and BPM is very limited with Daslight. The DLL is designed for developers with a fair bit of programming knowledge. The only option with Daslight would be to wait until individual steps can be triggered via MIDI, then use sound analysis software which can output MIDI messages.

I'm guessing you are restricted to Daslight? Sunlite Suite has more advanced sound analysis whereby you can trigger different channels/steps/scenes by different frequency ranges. It can also be triggered by any MIDI control change or note message and supports Midi Time Code.

Another option is LumiDesk. Designed for club and DJ, this supports scene and step triggering via MIDI. The scenes and steps can be triggered by each beat, half beat, quarter etc... LumiDesk also supports Midi Clock which is a message fired out by DJ software such as Native Instruments Traktor, M-Audio's torq, Abelton etc... so your lighting scenes never miss a beat.
marc

Post by marc »

Thanks for the answer.

The only thing that bothers me is that at the time I bought Daslight I thought by reading the 'advertisements' that this was a 'complete' sollution.
Reading now that the sunlite would be much better is a bit late after spending the money to the best Daslight.
If this is made by the same company why don't you place this two devices beside eachother so the customer can decide which device is the best for him?
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hi Marc

Each different software is a different brand. Each brand is based for a different market. You can go to DMXsoft.com to see a comparison of each product side by side.

I agree this can be confusing, and the Daslight website is also very misleading.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hello Simon,

When I take a look at DmxSoft.com I see that Daslight is placed in the 'Production' category along with Sunlite. And that they are both placed in the 'Dj' category too (different interfaces, same software).

This totally contradicts earlier statements that Daslight should be interpreted as being suited best for 'Dj' and Sunlite for 'Production'.

I am totally confused.. Not only concerning the Daslight website, but especially about the statements that are being made in this forum.

Different markets, different brands: true! But if you want to sell Daslight as being 'DJ' and Sunlite as being 'Production' than you should clearly communicate it in that way, from the beginning and everywhere!
mikey9206

Post by mikey9206 »

its just a selling ploy. so many things say that they are the best. and daslight is just another one. Its a great piece of software, and with only a limited amount of fixtures like me, does a great job; its simple, easy to explain and easy to use to train up soon-to-be tekies.

I think they gathered that if you have enough money to have a large rig, one which daslight is not so great at controlling you would have enough money for a more expensive desk, leaving daslight open to cheap, small 'disco' environments :)