non working functions

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Richard CSL

non working functions

Post by Richard CSL »

perhaps it is time for us to all put in a list of functions that are supposed to work but dont. I know I have foiund quite a few.

Like absolute/relative positioning of the pan tilt grid.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
Andre

Post by Andre »

Honestly I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference what we put on this forum, it always seems they ignore what we ask for or ask to be fixed.

It's the main reason I am working with another piece of software at the moment, at least with that if there is a problem they fix it. If a feature is requested then if it is thought useful it is added or if enough people request it then it is added. So far I have not found a thing I cannot do with it and there are many ways you can achieve some things. I like the idea of being able to create a look and easily add that to a cue just by referenceing it's name, no having to set up all the values for that look ever again.
Lightfactory really is "Professional Lighting Software"
Andre
JCASTLE

Post by JCASTLE »

I´m architertural and show lighting designer and now I have 2 proyects on stand by because daslight does not notice to our requests, this generating a serious problem to me, i need urgently these improvements because they are big projects with a great automation. I need a rapid response, i demand it. I think that the professional users of daslight deserve a respect and the silence is not the best response.

My English is not good but I believe that the idea is clear.
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

Yes you are right Andre, they never seem to look at the forum, even when you cut and paste the forum questions direct into their email account you never hear anything these days.

I think they are all too busy developing the new IP system, which is a joke, 20 universes. can you imagine how confusingly grey the live page will appear if you could fill 20 universes.

AND STILL NO GROUP COLOUR OPTION.

Sorry for capitols but I do get frustrated.

So I will now start looking further into Magic Q and Lightfactory.
don´t care about typing that now, moderators don´t exist on this forum.

Sorry to be negative , but I think I have come to the end of the line with Daslight, as you and I are trying the software to it´s limits, and with no support at all it drives me mad.
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

I like the idea of being able to create a look and easily add that to a cue just by referenceing it's name, no having to set up all the values for that look ever again.

Yes this is very useful, maybe it will be added to Daslight one day. Palettes is a professional programming technique and is supported in Sunlite Suite 2. You can also create your own Palette groups, so you could create a group of position palettes, a group of color palettes etcetc..

There are some great suggestions for Daslight on this forum, but we don't have a lot of man power on the Daslight team and are not trying to make another version of Sunlite Suite (which is also why the IP box has been removed from the Daslight product range). Any pro users take a look at the Sunlite Suite getting started tutorials here, it's really not so difficult..
http://www.nicolaudie.com/tutorials/suite/

If you still feel strongly that Daslight needs certain features I'll do my best to get these forwarded to the Daslight developers. I am going to create a feature requests thread in each forum and a bug thread.
Andre

Post by Andre »

simonB wrote:
I like the idea of being able to create a look and easily add that to a cue just by referenceing it's name, no having to set up all the values for that look ever again.

Yes this is very useful, maybe it will be added to Daslight one day. Palettes is a professional programming technique and is supported in Sunlite Suite 2. You can also create your own Palette groups, so you could create a group of position palettes, a group of color palettes etcetc..

There are some great suggestions for Daslight on this forum, but we don't have a lot of man power on the Daslight team and are not trying to make another version of Sunlite Suite (which is also why the IP box has been removed from the Daslight product range). Any pro users take a look at the Sunlite Suite getting started tutorials here, it's really not so difficult..
http://www.nicolaudie.com/tutorials/suite/

If you still feel strongly that Daslight needs certain features I'll do my best to get these forwarded to the Daslight developers. I am going to create a feature requests thread in each forum and a bug thread.

Personally I think the Sunlite SUite is awful I have tried and tried and just cannot get my head around it all. The tutorials are next to useless in my mind. Would be more useful to create a tutorial that actually created some sort of show to see how everything links together. Giving a dis-jointed tutorial on how to do certain tasks is only really a referance manual in video format. As said I have not seen any detail of the Sunlite Suite 2 software so cannot comment on how that works.
I thought that the Sunlite and Daslight products where and are different, now you saying that if we want "professional" lighting software we should move to the Sunlite software, well that is a joke in forceing people to do that just because the DVC2 software does not even have certain basics that are available in nearly every piece of lighting software around and certainly on all desks.

What does it say on the "Daslight" page of the website.
Daslight

Daslight creates professional lighting control software and manufactures DMX electronic interfaces.

So now it's not "Professional" lighting software.

Time for me to move on I think to a true "Professional" lighting software.
Andre
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

I resent the fact that the three main contributors on this forum.

Andre / Smoke and Mirrors / and myself.
all do a Pink Floyd style sphisticated lightshow,

and are now being told that Daslight was designed for the DISCO market.

Was that mentioned when we bought the system. Does it say it anywhere on the box. And I agree with Andre the Sunlite system is so totally different from Daslight, and I also have real trouble getting my head around it , having spent hundreds of hours programming Daslight.

I always thought the opposite that Sunlite was the disco version, hence all the built in fig 8, snake, zig zag, etc movement pallets, something you would never use for theatre / show type use.

What I have always liked about Daslight is that you can program for a user, hand it over and say to them "it does what it says it does on the button".....really not sure you can confront a user with the master screen of Sunlite and say the same thing ..... or am I wrong here? Simon?
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Daslight was designed for discos, hence the original name "Daslight Disco". It seems as though you guys here believe it is not a just disco/small event package. This is fine, however this does not change that fact that this is what the software is designed to do.

Was that mentioned when we bought the system.

If you purchased from Vianney, probably not. He'd sell you Daslight if you asked for a device to make toast.
mikey9206

Post by mikey9206 »

i have to agree richard, i was given the daslight software from the church and told 'if you can make it work, well buy it'. And i set off. After 2 weeks of on/off playing (literally) i had sussed 70% of it out. then when it came to actually using it, i worked out another 20% of it. the other 10% is the stuff im not using (i.e. standalone mode etc)

Daslight is so easy to use, and for a new lighting 'engineer' its helped me out with learning new general stuff about lighting e.g. binery and 512 universes etc etc.

this makes it so easy to share with others. you dont even need to show them how to programme it...."just hit the box that says 'red' and the lights go red" and they're away, 15 minutes play and they can control a show. This gets their confidence up and makes them want to do it more often and learn more...hence: better way to build a team.

ive not tried many other products but i know this one is special. expecially to small shows.

i know a friend who uses pearl-expert, but still loves using daslight for its 3d visualiser. he puts it at the end of his rig so it doesnt lag, but he loves it!