Problem with Creating new Scenes

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Roman

Problem with Creating new Scenes

Post by Roman »

Hey,

i have a problem by creating a new scene. When i'm clicking on creating new scene either my moving lights are going to the center position and the light beam is on or the new scene takes the channel values from the scene before. These values are also saved in the new scene.

Now the Problem is that I want to create a scene just changing the value of the color channel. The other channels shouldn't be activated in this scene. In Martin Lightjockey next to every Channel there's a button where I can turn of this channel in a scene.
But I can't find this option in VC2.

I hope you can help me. Sorry for my bad English.

Regards,
Roman
Andre

Post by Andre »

Hi Roman,

First check that you do not have the "Options>Light Beam On" ticked as that will create the scene with you lights on.

When I click the "New Scene" button I cannot get it to create a new scene with values form a previous scene. It does happen if you press the "Add a New Step" button though, but that is quite normal as you would normally be changing existing values to something else and makes it easy to see what they currently are for the previous step.

If it is doing what you say it is you can always go onto the "General Outputs" tab (all the faders) and put all back to zero that should not be used in this scene/step.

Other than that you could try re-installing the software just in-case you have had a glitch when it was installed.
Try starting a new show and see if it does it in that. I have seen a show get corrupted even though everything seemed OK.

Hope that helps and you can resolve your issue,
Andre
Roman

Post by Roman »

Thank you very much. Now it works perfect!
Andre

Post by Andre »

Glad I could help.

Was it just the "Light Beam" option?
Andre
Roman

Post by Roman »

Yes, that was the main problem.

But the other one is a good typ to reset one channel if i chose the wrong.

Is it possible to create a button in the live modus wich just flashes a scene? For example i like to create a scene for my strobe but this scene should only run when i'm press a button on the keyboard.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Yes you can create what you want, sort off.

If you create an Effect button that has flash mode enabled then all the time the button is pressed it will do what you ask.
If it then launches a scene the scene will do what you have programmed it to do. So if that scene is to strobe for 1 second then that is what it will do and then end even if you are still holding down the button. So basically it is just another way of launching a scene.

What you need to do is the following which is basically a flash button for a "Static" scene. i.e. you can not get it to run steps in a scene. So you need to what channels for your strobe you need to control and at what values.

Here goes.

Use "New Effect" from the "Effect" menu.
Give it a name.
Select "Include Live faders"
Click "OK"
Tick "Flash mode" in "Trigger"
Move the slider(s) for you strobe to the value you want.
Click "Apply"
Click "OK"
A grey button will have appeared on the "Live" page.
Right click the button to enable you to change the colour and edit it and the slider(s) if you did not get it quite right.

Now when you press and hold that button down the strobe will flash, when you release the strobe will go off.
This uses what they call LTP (Latest Takes Precedence (or Priority)), basically overides what ever it is doing. You will see the box below the slider change to LTP when you move the slider(s).

I hope that helps and makes sense.
Andre
Roman

Post by Roman »

Great, i saw there are many things to learn for me but now I'm able to have the first events with the software.

Actually I'm trying to make a "Follow Spot" Effect with my Moving Heads but this seems to be very difficult :D
Andre

Post by Andre »

Roman wrote:Great, i saw there are many things to learn for me but now I'm able to have the first events with the software.

Actually I'm trying to make a "Follow Spot" Effect with my Moving Heads but this seems to be very difficult :D

A follow spot with a moving head or scanner is nearly impossible it always looks a bit jerky. It can be coreographed but timing is critical and the person has to know where to walk and at what speed and where to stand etc.
You can use a joystick to move the light which can make it a bit easier "LIVE" but it is far from perfect. You would need to adjust the precision on the Pan/Tilt controls within DVC2 to try and get the movement as smooth as possible, but doing that then can make the fixture to slow to keep up and you would need to put it back for normal use.
I use DVC2 for band lighting and I set my moving heads up for where the guitarists and singers normally would stand. They always move and I have to try and reposition the lights on the fly. 9 times out of 10 I am unsuccesful because you are trying to watch the lights and move something on screen so you end up doing something wrong and it all goes wrong.

There have been attempts to have tracking lights. i.e. the person would where a transmitter and the light would locate that and track them where ever they went. It was extremely costly and the people did not like to wear another "box" on themselves. Think about guitarists and singers with there radio mikes and wireless system for guitars. Those boxes are not exactly small.

The only real way to have a follow spot is to actually have a follow spot and someone to control it, which all professional live shows have.
Andre
Roman

Post by Roman »

I want to do something else.

for example i have 4 moving heads hanging in a circle. now i want to create an effect in which all these light follow one point. so they have to spot on one point the whole time.
Andre

Post by Andre »

You would have to do that manually.

Use the FX generator on one moving head to create say a circle, with the number of steps you want etc.
Then edit this generated scene and with each step, selecting one of the other fixtures (only one fixture at a time) move it until the light beams line up. Repeat with the other fixtures.
Once all four are pointing to the same place you can move on to the next step.
Rinse and repeat for all steps.

Remember to only select one fixture at a time in each step otherwise you will end up moving more than one light and they will not line up.

I hope that makes sense.
Andre
Roman

Post by Roman »

That sounds great. I'll try this evening.

But I think i have to buy a button midi keyboard for the live buttons. So it will be much easier to start von scene and stop it.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Why would it be easier to start and stop scenes with a MIDI keyboard.
It is another thing in the way.

What is wrong with using the mouse or a keyboard shortcut(s).

Yes I suppose you can trigger multiple scenes at once with MIDI, have not tried but but assume you can.

I can see it as an advantage if you are doing other things with your PC so the lighting would be running behind your main program.
Also you could use a MIDI footswitches to start and stop scenes if you are busy playing instruments or DJing with your hands.
Andre
Roman

Post by Roman »

Keyboard shortcuts are also a good way.
I don't like starting scenes with the mouse specially in case of starting strobe scenes. When I will change between two different scenes very fast it is much easier just to press two different keys than to move always the mouse.