DMX IN - Clarification!

512 in and 512 out

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

lxrixta

DMX IN - Clarification!

Post by lxrixta »

New boy to the daslight stuff here! I have recently purchased the DVC2 512, but i seek clarification on a couple of items please!

Firstly this was advertised as having 512 IN and 512 OUT or 2 x 512 OUT, is this correct? I cant seem to be able to set it to an output in VC??

Secondly with regards to DMX IN, my understanding was that if i plugged this into a console (for example Avolites, ETC, Strand) then i could use the 3D Sim to see what I was doing, however this doesnt seem to be the case, also the DMX it receives doesnt get output to allow the control of the fixtures, therefore the only purpose (and function that I have managed to get to work) is activating scenes by DMX!

Am i simply being a plonker here!
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hello

The DVC2 512 only supports 512in and 512 out. I've checked on the Daslight webstie and I see no mistakes here, but I have noticed that there is a mistake on the DMXsoft website. I have informed the DMXsoft team about this and it is being changed. They will allow you to send your interface back and upgrade to the above product if this is a problem.

Regarding the DMX in, you can only use the DMX in through Daslight. You need to patch the DMX channels on your console directly to the DMX output channels in Daslight, then open up the 3D. This can be done by selecting the "General Outputs" tab and right clicking "Auto" and Selecting "DMX Input"
lxrixta

Post by lxrixta »

Thanks for your reply, Thanks for clearing up the first point, can i also point out that the sub heading on this forum also says 2 x 512!!

On the second issue, i cant seem to find the options you mention?? furthur assitance required please! Perhaps screenshots if possible?! sorry to be so cheeky!

Rick
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Hi Rick

I've taken a screenshot which can be found here...
www.daslight.com/images2/dmxTrigger.jpg

DMXsoft.com and the forums have been changed, thanks for letting us know.
lxrixta

Post by lxrixta »

Thank you Simon, Didnt notice that bit there!! im still getting used to the software, this leads me to another question now, once individual channels have been set up to respond to DMX does this mean that the software wont control them and only the console will have control?? I would test this myself but im out and about at them moment and not near my equipment!
Andre

Post by Andre »

lxrixta wrote:Thank you Simon, Didnt notice that bit there!! im still getting used to the software, this leads me to another question now, once individual channels have been set up to respond to DMX does this mean that the software wont control them and only the console will have control?? I would test this myself but im out and about at them moment and not near my equipment!

If you are using DMX IN from another console then that has control of any channels in DVC2 assigned as DMX IN, the software does not have control.

It is one of my bug bears of the software, would like the software to take control if new scenes are started that use those channels assigned to DMX IN and when the console values received have changed then that takes control. Should not be too hard to achieve.
Andre
lxrixta

Post by lxrixta »

Hi Andre, thanks for your reply

Agreed this seems to be a major let down software wise in this case :roll:, would prefer to be able to set it to HTP at least so that I can use both, admittedly there wont be many occasions where i would use both console and daslight but in some situations where I'm using an "in house" desk to control generics and then use Daslight to control the wigglies (for when the console just isn't upto the job!)

:?: Is it possible to assign macros (or something similar) that allows you to set a group channels between DMX and AUTO rather than having to do it one by one :?:

:?: When is the next software update due :?:
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

To assign multiple channels to one DMX output..

-Select the "GENERAL OUTPUT" tab and select the button on the left above FX (4 colours with a ? in the middle)
-"Output Mode Setting" dialog will popup. Select "IN"
-In the bottom field, enter the channel number you want to assign DMX IN
-If you want channels 1-20 to be controlled by DMX in type "1.20"
-If you want channels 1-5 and 15-20 to be controlled by DMX in type "1.5 + 15.20"

Development on DVC3 has recently begun, but this is quite a large project so I cannot give any idication at this early stage how long it will be.
lxrixta

Post by lxrixta »

OK, cheers Simon, Is there anyway to create some form of macro so that during a Live show you can release shows to DMX and back to VC easier than that? Could i suggest that Version 3 of the software each channel always responds to DMX unless its de-selected, like a tick box or something perhaps?? this would lead to better use of HTP/LTP modes??
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

Yes they are thinking of something along these lines. They will probably be removing LTP HTP as it confuses a lot of people. They will replace it with something simpler to understand and maybe some way of a channel accepting DMX input and Daslight commands at the same time.
lxrixta

Post by lxrixta »

Remove HTP and LTP?!? Are you crazy! sorry but it has to be said! HTP/LTP are part of the basics behind DMX, if people dont understand that much then they should return to the book.... dont make experienced users have to compromise because of the school kids...

BTW, please dont suggest i switch to sweetlight... I have only just purchased the daslight interface and dont like the layout of sweetlight!
Andre

Post by Andre »

lxrixta wrote:Remove HTP and LTP?!? Are you crazy! sorry but it has to be said! HTP/LTP are part of the basics behind DMX, if people dont understand that much then they should return to the book.... dont make experienced users have to compromise because of the school kids...

BTW, please dont suggest i switch to sweetlight... I have only just purchased the daslight interface and dont like the layout of sweetlight!

Totally agree with your here, should not say school kids though as I know a young chap at school and he can run rings around most people on all sorts of lighting consoles, but understand the sentiment behind what you are saying.

Yes people should learn the basics of DMX and lighting control first to get that grounding.

Maybe DVC should have an "IDIOT" mode and a "NORMAL" mode, obviously not called those names.
Andre
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

Why not, Sunlite has a beginner mode, and an advanced user mode.

don't think either of them use the term "idiot" though.

but I think you need an idiot mode with Sunlite, perhaps that is why I can't work it out. Doh!
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
Andre

Post by Andre »

Richard CSL wrote:Why not, Sunlite has a beginner mode, and an advanced user mode.

don't think either of them use the term "idiot" though.

but I think you need an idiot mode with Sunlite, perhaps that is why I can't work it out. Doh!

I must be an idiot as well then :shock: :roll:
I can use many other pieces of software/hardware to good effect, but not that.
Andre
lxrixta

Post by lxrixta »

Andre wrote:Totally agree with your here, should not say school kids though as I know a young chap at school and he can run rings around most people on all sorts of lighting consoles, but understand the sentiment behind what you are saying.

Ok point taken! agreed there are some school kids out there who are quite knowledgable, but i was lacking a better description at the time of writing!

I too tried out many other software packages, in the end I decided on daslight as it did the basics for what I needed and was a major stepup from the control I was using before, if I had the cash I would have gone for a full on console, but for my small rig would have been slightly overkill!

Maybe, however, i should have flicked through the forum a bit more before I made my purchase as it seems so far that there is little support from the developers directly and my impression is that daslight will not be getting much more in terms of features, and with talk of version 3 possibly not supporting current controllers seems to me just another chance to make money out of us!

Im still shocked by the comment "They will probably be removing LTP HTP as it confuses a lot of people." perhaps if daslight developers could implement our suggestions, like mine of a direct 1 to 1 patch/control unless you disable it people would soon figure out how HTP/LTP works!

I stated at the start of this thread that Im a new boy to daslight, but I have over 10 years experience in lighting and lighting design, like many others here I know what I need to make my job easier, and Im the first to admit there is always plenty more to learn! With this in mind removing features to push us towards a "messy" interface is simply not good enough!

Ok rant over!! :lol:

Simon perhaps you could let us all know what other things are being decided (on a seperate thread would be better) on the plans and developments of VC3 so that the community can put their views in whilst its still in development, providing the development team actually hear what we are saying we might actually get a version that suits everyones needs! as far as i can see daslight has so much potential, it would be a shame to see it pushed to a back burner so to speak??

Anyone else have any views on this??