Interface dead after too high energy level in the system

512 in and 512 out

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

suizi

Interface dead after too high energy level in the system

Post by suizi »

Hi, if you want to skip to the actual question just let the quote be a quote and move on... ;)

i'm a beginner dj and a spinned at my first gig on saturday.
so we had our soundsystem ready (6x 18" jbl woofers and some jbl and mackie top range).
for the light system we had 3 isolution imove 575w wash heads, 4 futurelight phs 250 pro spot heads, 1 strobe and 2 blinder.

So we decided that we need 2 16amp energy sources to power that stuff and not to have any risks.
One power source for lights and one for the sound system...
so we got the info that we have only one 16amp from the location itself, the other one comes from a generator...
so 6 hours before the gig we decided to check if the generator works, and plug the light system in. we waited about 10 minutes for the generator to stabalize its power output. Then we plugged it in. And just in that moment something terrible happened.

Somehow there was to much energy and it damaged 5 of our 7 moving heads. I think that one head had a malfunction and gave the energy through the dmx cable to every head in the system, including the daslight interface and the acer notebook. My notebook shutdown, but wasn't damaged, i think the interface protected it (god bless this interface)... but now the interface is not working anymore...

So in the end we had to remove all broken heads, and managed to get 3 working washers with a small dmx mixer, and it was a great gig.
This was the end result:

So my actual question here, is there any possibility to repair the daslight dvc3 512 interface after a high voltage overload... (i don't know the exact english translation, but i hope everybody understands my point)[code]

Pls help me, at the moment i'm a bit desperate.

Greetz,
suizi
greetz Suizi
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

you should find that the only component dammaged will be the DMX transmit IC chip. This is an 8 pin device close to the socket. This can be replaced with a standard DMX chip found in any DMX head or other working unit.

make sure the chip has 7S in the number, can't remember the full number.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

Oops just realised this is a very old post. apologies all.??
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
suizi

Post by suizi »

Richard CSL wrote:Oops just realised this is a very old post. apologies all.??

no actually i posted it yesterday ;)
thanks for that info...
can i buy that chip somewhere in the internet?
pls give me some more information, i'm not much into that electro stuff.. i'm more the user, who is happy if everything works!

greetz
suizi
greetz Suizi
simonB
Site Admin

Post by simonB »

It may just be the DMX chip, however it could also be the main processing chip in which case the unit will have to be replaced. If your interface is still detected by the computer and software, a DMX chip replacement may fix the issue.

You can buy a DMX chip from your local electronics parts supplier. More information on replacing the chips can be found here: http://www.daslight.com/online_manuals/ ... dfPgY7.htm . The DVC3 512 interface uses the same chip as the SIUDI6 card.

If a DMX chip replacement doesn't work, create an account t daslight.com/logme and click RMA to request a return.