Daslight 5: Features and Suggestions 2020

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

dj_otto

Daslight 5: Features and Suggestions 2020

Post by dj_otto »

DasLight 5 needs additional features; without adding new features, there is no reason to upgrade.

Suggestion 1:
One of the most important features DasLight is currently lacking is a crossfader between two static scenes. (Example: You have a row of LED pars and a scene, one single step, which is alternating blue and gold. You have a 2nd scene, one single step, which is alternating white and pink.) DasLight needs a way to fade the first scene into the next scene.

I do see the difficulties with doing this with multiple steps with different fixtures, but doing this between single steps should be possible. A second way to approach the problem by using a MIDI fader to control outputs between scenes. Just like an audio fader.

Suggestion 2:
The FX generator in DasLight 2 and 3, there was a random color generator. It is missing in DasLight 4. Please, bring this back.

Suggestion 3:
The FX generator only controls RGB LEDs; we need the ability and flexibility to control HEX fixtures for better color mixing. In particular, adding white and UV LEDs to the FX generator would greatly improve my shows.

Suggestion 4:
show loading and saving times are huge and take a fantastic/unreasonable amount of time to save and load. My current laptop has an SSD drive and an Nvidia video card. Many of my shows are over 150Mb.

Frank
Pittsburgh Event Lighting

Users, please add your suggestions here :)
Last edited by dj_otto on Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dj_otto

Re: Daslight 5: Features and Suggestions

Post by dj_otto »

Thank you for these requests
[email protected]

Hello,
I like DVC 4 very much. Therefore I would like some newer features.

1. Please give the Files a Version Number. So it would be easier to identify the files. for example 4.9

2. Would it be possible to make each window moveable? So I would like to move the Fader section on another screen then the show mode or live mode.

3. it would be fine, to have the same options in the show mode at the buttons like the live mode. So it would be easy to have dimmer and speed fader under the buttons like in the live mode.

4. It would be fine to be able by the selection of many buttons, not only to define size then the position. I mean top button, left and so on.

5. It would be nice to have several designs of the whole software to change. from dark to more light. also to scale the text in the software.

At least, is it possible to get the beta 5 version for testing?

Thanks for your great software.
dj_otto

Post by dj_otto »

Repost

Hello Everyone

I am a big fan of Daslight. For many years I work with the GoldZM interfaces (first, Daslight 3, now Daslight 4). I use it for complex musicals lightshows and many other applications.

I only saw now, that there will be a version 5 coming soon. I have one only big request for the next generation:

Please change the design of the interface. Something with a metal-housing or something that fits in a rack. I always have a problem with the plastic housing that also looks cheap and "hobby-like". That would be so great!

Also it would be a nice-to-have if the new interface has at least two XLR-Outs for 2 Universes.
TomHat

Re: Daslight 5: Features and Suggestions 2020

Post by TomHat »

Hey dj_otto,

Thank you for your feedback, we'll see what we can do about it.
As I wrote on another thread you've been involved with, there is no set date for any Daslight5 version yet, but you'll be informed when that changes.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
beathousepro
Operating System: Windows

Post by beathousepro »

dj_otto wrote:Please change the design of the interface. Something with a metal-housing or something that fits in a rack. I always have a problem with the plastic housing that also looks cheap and "hobby-like". That would be so great!

Ditto on the hardware upgrades: I also, would love a case/shell that is a little more rigid. Also one that uses a more modern USB connection instead of a mini-usb interface (which has been phased out in ~2018). I often find the mini-usb cable connection to be flimsy and disconnects with slight movements. I'd prefer a full sized usb connector that fits very snug (so much so that I could hold the usb cable and the weight of the dongle doesn't disconnect it).
tpals
Operating System: Mac OS X

Post by tpals »

Hello greetings from Greece!
We hope you are all well.

We've created and run 10+ escaperooms using Daslight and we thought of some functions that could be very useful in future upgrades of Daslight 5.

1) Wrap BUTTON TEXT in two or more lines in Show mode

Have the ability to have two line text in a button to be more visible in mobile view

2) Different users be able to SEE PREDEFINED PAGES in Show mode or lock them somehow

We different actors/gamemaster that use only a certain page each one of them in their mobile/tablet
So far we leave BLANK PAGES in between, in case they accidentally swap left or right to other pages.

Thank you for your time.
jp35
Operating System: Windows

Post by jp35 »

Hello ! :)

si je peux me permettre un avis supplémentaire concernant cette future version de DASLIGHT 5 , un fader réglable en temps serait sans doute un grand "plus" ! là pour l'instant nous avons c'est vrai le choix d'activer ou de désactiver en "live" mais c'est assez restrictif même si les vitesses peuvent être programmées et accesssibles sur chaque "scène" , mais il faut que ces scènes soient développées pour y avoir accès , ce qui prend une grande place si l'on a beaucoup de "scènes" enregistrées !
alors qu"un potentiomètre ( par exemple près du gradateur général) serait super pratique pour changer facilementces temps de fondus ! :wink:
merci pour l'écoute et à bientôt !
John Koster
Operating System: Mac OS X

Post by John Koster »

Hello All,

Previously this was a request from myself and other users.
The main improvement would be to add virtual shutters / dimmers to generic LED's and to already written personalities of fixtures as separate channels.
A lot of fixtures, like LED striplights lack shutter and / or dimmer channels, using Daslight 4 you can only control the color values like RGB (or more color channels if the fixture is equipped with it).
If you want to create shutter / dimming FX you would need the FX generator which involves a lot of time if you require multiple scenes and it is not always stable and can crash.
What we require is that we can create a scene that only controls the virtual shutter / dimming per LED separate from a scene that controls the colors and for which you could use the FX generator (for instance for gradients) or even better make color choice buttons (for instance for fixed color selection) so you can play with this in the live mode.
I think this is the main feature to add to any new Daslight version.
I agree with the other request that the DVC interface needs an update with regards to the connection to your computer of which the connector is asking for problems when frequently used.
Furthermore it would be great if the program itself gets rewritten in a way that it is much more stable.
Sorry Daslight I don't want to offend you with the above but using Macbook Pro's with powerful specifications will still not ensure a stable workflow, which is the opposite with almost all other software that I use.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

John