Daslight 4 crashes all the time for me

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

angryant
Operating System: Mac OS X

Daslight 4 crashes all the time for me

Post by angryant »

Hi,

I'm trying to use Daslight 4 to manage 4 lights. I set up project in Logic Pro X which sends MIDI notes to IAC Driver which are received by Daslight 4 (latest beta from November 2019 - "stable" version was crashing even more). Unfortunately Daslight crashes all the time for me which is very frustrating. It plays 2 scenes correctly, on third it just crashes.
I'm on Mac 10.15.2.

Crash report window isn't any helpful. The crash happens when some MIDI messages (in my case it is the third MIDI message) are sent to IAC Driver.

I like Daslight's interface and library of effects - it looks awesome and is easy to use but I'm really disappointed with the stability of it so far. Could someone help me to troubleshoot the issue? I attached screenshots of my Logic project (MIDI notes that I send, sample mappings (all are very similar, only note value is different), and scene layout).

--
piotr
Attachments
daslight-Logic-project.jpg
daslight-Logic-project.jpg (126.18 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
daslight-scenes.jpg
daslight-scenes.jpg (141.78 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
daslight-sample-mapping.jpg
daslight-sample-mapping.jpg (82.05 KiB) Viewed 4824 times
angryant

Re: Daslight 4 crashes all the time for me

Post by angryant »

And of course a few minutes after writing previous post I managed to find the issue... This was not Daslight's fault at all but a MIDI loop caused by having "Record enabled" set on DMX track in Logic which was sending back to all MIDI events to IAC driver causing insane chaos on the Bus. Daslight was crashing because of this, hence was an easy target to blame.

I also disabled MIDI Out in MIDI mappings in Daslight to prevent another loop from happening, and so far everything seems to be working great.

I found this tool very useful while debugging the issue: https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

--
piotr
Macarena

Post by Macarena »

Hi.My solution to the fall of Daight is to run under a guest account without much rights.
angryant

Post by angryant »

Running under different account would probably not help much in this case because it is easy to create MIDI feedback loop under any account. What would help is MIDI feedback loop detection in Daslight or just some safety circuit breaker which would warn user that something is off when for example number of events per second crosses some reasonable threshold.