2 identical MIDI controllers

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

djdad
Operating System: Windows

2 identical MIDI controllers

Post by djdad »

Hi,

I have mapped my AKAI APC Mini to trigger my scenes, and already used the majority of the available buttons.
I wonder if i end up with mapping all of them and need to add another identical unit (to have more buttons to map), will Daslight know from which MIDI device the Note (message) comes from ?
So, Note 90 10 00|7F from device 1 is different from 90 10 00|7f from device 2 ?

Thanks
TomHat

Re: 2 identical MIDI controllers

Post by TomHat »

Hello,

Sadly, Daslight4 won't see the difference between your 2 consoles. It reacts to the MIDI signals, without caring who sent them.

Best regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
djdad
Operating System: Windows

Re: 2 identical MIDI controllers

Post by djdad »

So that means that there could even be a conflict in case of 2 different MIDI devices, if some keys offer the same MIDI message, which kinda limits the options.
I suppose your only chance here is to choose MIDI controllers that offer the ability to select a different MIDI Channel, but that's not the case for the majority (including the AKAI APC mini)

Currently the only workaround i found (and will post here once i make sure it works) is to have an application running which will translate the incoming MIDI messages from a MIDI device to whatever MIDI Channel you assign to.
MIDI Translation Pro (from bome.com) seems it does the job ( MIDI Channel 1 >> Midi Translator Pro >> MIDI Channel (2-16))

Hopefully Daslight may add some device enumeration in the near future, or at least support some SHIFT/modifier to double the available MIDI signals of a unit.