Why is the amount of art-net universes limited?

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Jeroen45
Operating System: Windows

Why is the amount of art-net universes limited?

Post by Jeroen45 »

Hi there,

Right now we are looking to use about 8 1-universe art-net nodes connected to our local network for easy dmx distribution(the network was already in place). Each universe would contain some devices taking up on average about 128 channels.
However, we ran into a snag: even though we've already bought the DVC 4 GZM controller earlier, we would now have to buy ANOTHER controller like the DVC fun to even be able to; ALSO buy 5 more art-net universes that we wouldn't even fill up. Not to mention the what seems to me sheer unneccesity of having a second controller essentially just sitting around as a very expensive hardware key.

Can someone please explain to me: why is this licensing system this way, where we have to buy more hardware just to be able to register something software-wise, and why do we even have to pay $100 dollars to just add some universes? I could be wrong, but it seems like this is just an artificial software limitation purely as a cash grab for people that want to be able to use it's full functionality.

I've always been a fan of Daslight, but this just seems a bit ridiculous to me. It is therefore that I'd really like to know the answer to these questions, because right now I just don't understand it and I'd like to inform myself before judging or making any decisions.

Thanks a lot in advance!
TomHat

Re: Why is the amount of art-net universes limited?

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

The amount of ArtNet universe allowed depends on the hardware you're using :
- DVC Fun allows you to purchase as many ArtNet universe as you desire.
- DVC GZM automatically unlocks 3 ArtNet universe.

The total amount of ArtNet universe you can use equals the sum of universe allowed by all your interfaces together.

I hope I'm making myself clear enough.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
Jeroen45
Operating System: Windows

Post by Jeroen45 »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, and my apologies for my late reaction.
This makes the current universe allowance structure very clear, but doesn't answer my question:
Why is this system this way?
Why can't I register extra universes on the DVC GZM?
Why do I need to pay extra to use the product I already purchased to it's fullest extent in the first place?

I look forward to your answers to these questions.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,
Jeroen
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Jeroen45 wrote:Why can't I register extra universes on the DVC GZM?

The DVC GZM solution is delivered WITH 3 physical universe + 3 ArtNet universe. You do not need to pay extra to use them.

Jeroen45 wrote:Why do I need to pay extra to use the product I already purchased to it's fullest extent in the first place?

The DVC Fun is delivered WITHOUT any ArtNet universe, but comes as a Smart Upgrade Technology (SUT) solution. The basic idea is to pay a small amount of money for the basic product, and to add the extentions you wish to use with it.
(here, adding 3 ArtNet universe to this device would cost about 3x 99$)

The price of our products is partly based on the total amount of universes you can send DMX out to.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500