Device Preferences not saved

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

benvigil
Operating System: Mac OS X

Device Preferences not saved

Post by benvigil »

Using version December 22 2017 w/DVC GOLD GZM. Clean install on a new Mac Mini running macOS 10.12.6.

We are using the 5-PIN DMX output. When that output (#2) is set to Universe 1 and set to Active, the settings are not saved on restart. Having to reset those settings every time dasLight is started (or crashes, which is OFTEN when editing scenes) is not a tenable situation.

Various settings and preferences not being saved is a problem going back at least 18 months it seems from the messages on this forum.

Please advise...
Benno

Re: Device Preferences not saved

Post by Benno »

We are using the 5-PIN DMX output. When that output (#2) is set to Universe 1 and set to Active, the settings are not saved on restart. Having to reset those settings every time dasLight is started (or crashes, which is OFTEN when editing scenes) is not a tenable situation.
That's strange can't reproduce this on my Mac, when I opened a saved show the output settings are saved for me on Mac. Do you mean the settings are not saved when starting a new show as this is normal?
(or crashes, which is OFTEN when editing scenes)
Can you give further info on the crashes, If you can give information on how to reproduce I can pass this to the developers who should be able top fix the problem.
Various settings and preferences not being saved is a problem going back at least 18 months it seems from the messages on this forum.
What various settings and preferences are not being saved?
Benno
--
Product Support
benvigil

Post by benvigil »

Benno wrote:That's strange can't reproduce this on my Mac, when I opened a saved show the output settings are saved for me on Mac. Do you mean the settings are not saved when starting a new show as this is normal?

This is on an existing show. I go into Preferences, selected Devices, then add "Universe 1" to Output #2 and set it to active. When I do so, I get 4 or 5 "success" debug prompts, and I hit Ok to all of them. Save the show, and exit. When I open the show again none of the device settings are saved.

Benno wrote:
(or crashes, which is OFTEN when editing scenes)
Can you give further info on the crashes, If you can give information on how to reproduce I can pass this to the developers who should be able top fix the problem.

At various times. Sometimes during drag and drop, sometimes when typing. One time I was dragging on the color wheel and dasLight vanished. During editing it crashes once or twice and hour, at least. It's never crashed when Live.

If I can get it to crash at a time OTHER than during mouse movement, I'll post more details. If you're doing low-level handling of cursor/mouse messages (based on other threads and the recommendation to remove any programs that make use of the Accessibility API) I know that's super tricky to do... based on experience.
Benno

Post by Benno »

This is on an existing show. I go into Preferences, selected Devices, then add "Universe 1" to Output #2 and set it to active. When I do so, I get 4 or 5 "success" debug prompts, and I hit Ok to all of them.
I noticed this when I was testing your problem yesterday. I have reported this to the Devs so they can fix for the next Beta.
Save the show, and exit. When I open the show again none of the device settings are saved.
This is really strange as just tested again and cannot reproduce. The port / universe values are saved when I re-open the show. Does tis happen with a particular (older) showfile or even with a brand new show?
If I can get it to crash at a time OTHER than during mouse movement, I'll post more details.
Yes if you manage to find a pattern or get more info please let us know.
Benno
--
Product Support
benvigil

Post by benvigil »

Left dasLight in LIVE mode overnight and when I came back, I noticed that:

• dasLight was frozen w/the spinning beach ball of death
• upon restart the device preferences were saved

In my previous testing, I made changes to the device settings, explicitly saved the file (CMD+S), then restarted. It seems that upon an abnormal exit (without any explicit save taking place) the device settings were saved.

Hope that helps.
Benno

Post by Benno »

• dasLight was frozen w/the spinning beach ball of death
Doesn't really give me any much more info i'm afraid apart from you saying it's more of a freeze than a crash. I know of a problem with the software freezing if a Mapped Midi fader has the feedback when data received checked but this may not be relevant in your case.
In my previous testing, I made changes to the device settings, explicitly saved the file (CMD+S), then restarted. It seems that upon an abnormal exit (without any explicit save taking place) the device settings were saved.
I've triple tested and cannot reproduce this. Only thing I can think of is that it's sceptic to your showfile. If you want to send it over I can test it here.
Benno
--
Product Support