Freeze when moving faders and other troubles

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

monster
Operating System: Windows

Freeze when moving faders and other troubles

Post by monster »

Hey there,

for the live bands and cabaret shows at our night club, we started to use daslight and struggle with frequent system crashes during the programming procedure and even during live performances.

We're developing an intuitive set-up that also amateurs like our Djs or other staff can use to control the light. For that we connected an Akai APC Mini Controller to the show.

The different light sources in the event room like led-bars, pin spots and moving bars are organized in "channels". Each column of the Akai controls one light source, that illuminates a particular area, (f.e. "stage area", "background", "blinders","dj desk"...).

We used the buttons to switch between scenes that only affect the chosen light source.

This way you can control all the lights individually and create a setting out of different scenes.

The fader on the bottom of each column is connected to the opacity/dimmer in Live mode, so you can dim up or down the scenes smoothly.

This is were the system usually crashes; when you move one of the faders too quickly, or several at the same time.

The programm freezes and remains in the last step of the activated scenes and shows "no reaction".

Often you can't even shut it down or restart. The program doesn't react and can't be opened until the computer gets restarted.

Obviously this takes a few minutes to go back into the daslight show. Once the programme is ready again, all the lights are turned off, because all dimmer faders, including the master fader are turned down. Very annoying in a live situation. To get them going again you have to wiggle each fader of the Akai briefly.

Another major problem occurs in Edit mode. The program regulary crashes when we add effects to a scene. F.e. I want to create a programme for some moving heads, using a dimmer effect and a moving effect. Often times the second effect is already too much and the programme gets stuck. It won't come back, you can't close it or save made changes. You have to reboot and start all over again.

Matrix effects can't be used at all. Even when you manage to put it on a group, it crashes while editing individual colors.

Although we do have basic skills how to operate image- or sound-softwares, we're learning this one from the scratch. At first we thought that we might have organized our scenes in some capacity-consuming, unlogic way.

The consulting light technician checked through our set up and couldn't find anything that the programme shouldn't be able to handle.

Soooo, we will apreciate any tips from you, what to do, change, try...Despite the bugs we are quite happy with the software and like to continue working with it.

Our system:

Daslight4 mai17
DVC4 Gold
Windoose10 home
Intel Pentium N3540 @ 2.16GHz
8GB RAM
AKAI APC mini

I can send you the session file as soon as i am at the club.

Best regards!
monster

Re: Freeze when moving faders and other troubles

Post by monster »

well. when i try to attach the session file i am always told:

invalid file extension Fenek Lightshow 2.dvc

should i rename the file into something simple like "sessionfile" or such ?

cheers,

doc
monster

Post by monster »

and even more strange - when i am browsing for the session file, the extension is not showed. the same if i try to rename it.

what am i doing wrong?

doc
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey Monster,

Could you please send me your showfile ? I would like to have a look at it, and hopefully help you open it again.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
monster

Post by monster »

monster

Post by monster »

Hello there,

2 weeks passed by, but no reply on this fader issue.

Any news on this?
Unfortunately the controller is hardly usable in this condition.

You 've got our session file, right?

Cheers,

Doc
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey Doc,

I am sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier. This problem I think comes from the APC itself. Turns out it cannot handle quick feedback from our software. My advice to you is to disable feedback on the APC sliders mappings.

MIDI APC.png
MIDI APC.png (38.68 KiB) Viewed 16577 times

Basically, feedback on MIDI sliders is mostly useful for motorised sliders that'll update to current value. But APC Mini doesn't have motorised sliders.

Please try this and let me know if this fixed your problem.
I would also like to get your show file again, please. WeTransfer always deletes files after a while, this is a pain...

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

monster

Post by monster »

Hi,

i installed the newest daslight4 Version (22.12.17) but the Problem is still there.
i ll try to send you the session file.

cheers,

Doc

p.s. well, i do not kow why, but i am not able to attach the session file. when i click on the file i am told that the file Extension is illegal. please help.... (the file is called "what ever session.dvc"
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

Add your show file into a .zip file. This is one of the few file formats allowed on this forum.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

monster

Post by monster »

All right, thanks for coming back to us.

Showfile comming soon!

Doc
monster

Post by monster »

Hi,

this is still going wrong:

"Error file too large: Session.zip".

We packed the session file into a folder called "Session" and ziped it.
But the forum software here obviousely does not like it....

Any idea?

Doc
PolDavril

Post by PolDavril »

Hi monster,

This forum has a lot of limitations. :(

You can upload the zip file to wetransfer.com and post the download link here or, if you prefer, send it to my personal mail address and I'll upload it myself.
([email protected]).

Hope this helps.
Pol Davril
Stage Manager & Technician
Daslight 4 - Version Jan 13 2020
http://www.hsd-productions.be
http://www.exprime-toi.be
monster

Post by monster »

Hi,

i sent the session file to your email adress.

Thanx,

Doc
PolDavril

Post by PolDavril »

Thanks Doc.

@support: I uploaded the file here : https://we.tl/kZKNQryti3
The link may expire but I will upload it again if needed.
Pol Davril
Stage Manager & Technician
Daslight 4 - Version Jan 13 2020
http://www.hsd-productions.be
http://www.exprime-toi.be
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey Monster,

TomHat wrote:My advice to you is to disable feedback on the APC sliders mappings.

Have you followed my advice ? As I wrote, the APC Mini doesn't seem to be able to handle too much feedback from our software. And since the APC's sliders can't move by themselves, there is no need to send any feedback there anyway. Only sending feedback to APC's buttons is fine. If you get a freeze again, try unplugging the APC. The software should run again as nothing happened. Then plug the APC back.

About the crashes you get when creating effects in live, I strongly recommend to create all your effects beforehand (Hit GENERATE to get your effect saved into a scene). We work on fixing all existing crash, and turns out the effect generator is still giving us a hard time.

I now have your file and will run tests on it. Any fix we get for crashes found from this file will be available in next beta.

Best regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support