Daslight 4 extreme lag issues with fontdrvhost.exe 20% Cpu

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

zacki1
Operating System: Windows

Daslight 4 extreme lag issues with fontdrvhost.exe 20% Cpu

Post by zacki1 »

Hey everyone,

just recently my daslight seems to encounter irresolvable lag/freeze problems after loading my showfile.
Tested on 2 Pc's, installed the latest windows 10 Updates.
Using Daslight DVC4 Gold - bought 11/2016
Updated to the latest Daslight 4 (even the Beta Version - no changes)
The issue:
Whenever I load my showfile "Usermode Font Driver Host" is starting to use up to 20% CPU and the software is totally slow in response. This means its basically 2-5 seconds delayed when clicking anywhere. When closing the process Usermode Font Driver Host in task manager the problem gets resolved but since it's the service for fonts, I no more get to see any symbols or characters on my Windows , thus its not a permanent solution to this problem.
When opening a new blank file this issue does not appear until I guess there's + 15 devices and + 15 scenes (but that's only my guess)
We even tried to create a new one from scratch and after saving it seems the issue returns.
We tried it with or without interface / midi (akai apc40 , focusrite usb) . And also we tried to restart the services in windows, emptied a cache etc. etc. nothing seems to work.

I've uploaded the file where the issue appears compared to one where it obviously doesn't.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjpgXo4O-1Rtgs9rFRfJIPQcP0f0qw -- error file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjpgXo4O-1Rtgr9d9Y4Xj50ZOmjQQA -- normal file

I would be glad, if anyone could help us, since this is a major issue for us, happening right when we were setting up the stage for an event last weekend.

I hope someone has a solution for us - thanks
Florian
TomHat

Re: Daslight 4 extreme lag issues with fontdrvhost.exe 20% Cpu

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

This "lag" comes from the fact that you are using many kinds of fixture profiles, and playing it all in General view. We already have a fix for that, it'll be available in next version (in the coming days).

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
zacki1

Post by zacki1 »

Dear TomHat,

thanks for your quick reply and great to hear that there will be a fix coming out soon.
Can you please clarify this for me.
Is the reason that I'm using Daslight in a non proper way? Or is it just the fact that I have approx 15 different devices running ?
Please help me understand what I should/could have done differently to avoid this, because this issue was so strange to me.

Greets
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

The problem only comes from Daslight 4 : There is a small issue when viewing your fixtures in the General tab. You get much more laggy software when working in General tab, than in a Fixture profile tab.

This is actually worse when using a lot of fixtures (extra computing), but the main issue is in the general tab graphics refresh. What you can do to avoid some of this lag is to work in Fixture profile tabs, and avoid General tab. As I said, the fix will soon be available.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

zacki1

Post by zacki1 »

Hey Tom,

awesome, thanks for the support. I'll inform some of my colleagues who potentially could encounter the same issue.
So far thanks again, looking forward to the release of the patch.
And at the same time, congrats for this great peace of software that made the programming visuals for me much more convenient and flexible.

Greets from Austria
Florian
Horst Lochner

Post by Horst Lochner »

Hello, I have currently (Software 12/2017) the same problem! When is a solution to be expected? Greeting Horst
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

Well the fix is present in the version you have. Your problem must be coming from somewhere else. Could you please send me your showfile and let me know how to reproduce your problem ?

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support