virtual dimmer

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

q16marvin
Operating System: Windows

virtual dimmer

Post by q16marvin »

hi,

i was buying me a daslight interface, i love the software but now i detect a critical "missing" thing. i have some generic 3channel led (rgb). in my old software(pc_dimmer) i had this option "VIRTUALRGBADIMMER". but in dvc4 i dont find something like that... please dont tell me its not possible :shock:

thx!

Erik
TomHat

Re: virtual dimmer

Post by TomHat »

Hi Erik,

There are several kinds of dimmer in Daslight 4 :
- (1) Scene dimmer, affecting all dimmable channels contained in the scene.
- (2) Master Dimmer, affecting all dimmable channels in the show.
- (3) General Pallet Dimmer, affecting all values for dimmable channels (only for selected fixtures).
- (4) Colorwheel's intensity control, affecting the intensity value of the selected fixture's color.

(1) and (2) are not working in EDIT mode, as they are LIVE features made for editing the show while it runs.
(3) and (4) edit scene values in EDIT mode, and LTP (temporary) values in LIVE and SHOW mode.
Dimmer.png
Dimmer.png (189.32 KiB) Viewed 36524 times

Hope this helps !

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
q16marvin

Post by q16marvin »

hi, thx for the quick response but thats not what i mean:

again my led stripes are only rgb (3channels) and NOT rgbd (4channels)... so when i patch rgb i have no "DIMMER" fader on the palette:

when i use rgbd i have the fader... but the dimmer fader wont affect...

like i said in my old software there was a fixture called "rgbvd"... so the channel 4 is calculating a "dimmer" effect.

something related also here:

http://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=375

and

http://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=375
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hi Erik,

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I understood what you were asking for, but unfortunately I don't think Daslight 4 will ever allow for this to be possible. That's why I gave you this list of alternatives, so you'd still be able to apply a virtual dimmer to your RGB LED.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

q16marvin

Post by q16marvin »

okay i understand... thx for your help, i will see if i can work with this
Steffen
Operating System: Mac OS X

Post by Steffen »

I have a similar problem and It would be great, if there would be the option for a virtual dimmer.

Or does anyone has a solution for the following situation: I've got eight RGB PAR-Cans in a row. Now I want to create a scene group in DasLight 4 with colors (single colors as well as color effects) which works fine so far. But it seems impossible for me to create a second scene group for dimmer effects like "every even fixture 100% and evere odd fixture 25% brightness and vice versa on the second step". This second group should just change the brightness not the color itself. And that's where I would need the virtual dimmer. It doesn't work with the general fixture dimmer in the palette menu. Has anyone a solution?
orginq

Post by orginq »

+1

A virtual dimmer channel is one of the most-wanted features on my wishlist too.

I don't think it will be really difficult to implement (I'm a software developer too), but I can't speak for the makers of course...
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

What do the developers say to a virtual dimmer? (Or to my problem two postings above)
DJ J

Post by DJ J »

Hello everybody,

I think I have a similar problem and I'm also interested in a virtual dimmer.
In DasLight I want to create two groups for my LED Bars (each LED is controlled via 3 RGB channels).
I would like to choose the color in first group (for example red), in a second group I would like the "shutter"
control. For example Knight Rider, all LEDs on, every second LED in change.
Using this programming, it would be possible to select a "shutter" in live mode and then in addition any desired colors
to select for this "shutter".

I know that this can be done awkwardly by hand or via the FX Generator. But if I have every shutter
Programming with each color individually creates a great many scenes.

For my LED PAR with 4 channels (DRGB) is not a problem, but the LED BAR i can't adjust the DMX mode like that.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve it differently?

Thanks a lot & greetings,
Jonas
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Steffen wrote:What do the developers say to a virtual dimmer? (Or to my problem two postings above)

No official reply yet?
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey Steffen,

Sorry, we haven't planned on adding new features (such as effects on virtual dimmer only) for now. If you want to create an effect on dimmer, you will need fixtures that include a dimmer channel. Otherwise, we can only provide effects that "simulate" dimmer changes by computing colors accordingly. So you cannot have seperate color + dimmer-only effects for your RGB PARs.

Hope this helps understanding the way Daslight4 works, and sorry again we cannot add this feature.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

q16marvin

Post by q16marvin »

hi tomhat,

long time ago, but still an problem for me... you sayed:

Otherwise, we can only provide effects that "simulate" dimmer changes by computing colors accordingly.

how can i do this? i want to have a "fader" in my show to controller the "brightnes / dimmer" of my rgb fixtures. it works PERFECT with the Master Dimmer, but this will dimm also all other fixtures... not only my rgb ^^

maybe you have a idea :)

Thx!

Erik
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

This was only a reference to the effect generator. But this was not relevent as what you needed was to dim your lights dynamically (effects will contain the dimmed values already). One more thing you can try is to create some RGB-only scenes and use these scenes' dimmer faders instead.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

q16marvin

Post by q16marvin »

mhhh yes its working, little bit triggy because you must activate this scene before you can use the dimmer fader in "show" tab ...

i found this way:

when you add a "dummy" rgbd fixture, you can set fader like this:

it will dimm this rgb devices, only the fader is not corretly shown (you can fade but it jumps anytime back to 0)...

Can this be fixed?

you now what i mean?
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey,

I'm afraid this will create an EasyRemote fader on the RGBD's dimmer channel. So if you select an RGB fixture, the fader won't find the Dimmer channel for the RGB.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support