How to setup a dimmer channel for RGBW fixtures?

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Steffen
Operating System: Mac OS X

How to setup a dimmer channel for RGBW fixtures?

Post by Steffen »

I have 12 RGBW fixtures with no separate dimmer channel. Is there any possibility to create a virtual dimmer channel, which is also assignable to a MIDI fader?

I tried the "general" fixtures tab, selected my 12 RGBW fixtures and used the virtual dimmer channel from the palette. That works, as long as these fixtures are selected. As soon, as I select some other fixtures, the virtual dimmer channel controls these newly selected fixtures.

So, is it possible to create a dimmer fader, which only controls a defined group of fixtures?
PolDavril
Operating System: Windows

Re: How to setup a dimmer channel for RGBW fixtures?

Post by PolDavril »

Hi,

If the RGBW fixtures are always used together, you can assign a MIDI fader to a range of DMX channels, in this case channels 1 through 48 (coded "1.48" in the MIDI mapping dialog).
It works, except that it may cause a delay with fast MIDI fader movements, depending on computer performances.

Daslight-midi-group.jpg
Daslight-midi-group.jpg (134.66 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Pol Davril
Stage Manager & Technician
Daslight 4 - Version Jan 13 2020
http://www.hsd-productions.be
http://www.exprime-toi.be
Steffen
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: How to setup a dimmer channel for RGBW fixtures?

Post by Steffen »

I cannot see how this could work.

What happens, if only one color channel is up to 100% for every fixture, like the red color and I move then the (virtual dimmer) MIDI fader from 100% to 50%. I think that all other three channels (GBW) would jump up to 100% and then go down with the fader to 50%.

Other thing: If this MIDI fader is currently at 50% and I drag one color channel in the software to 100%, this operation would overwrite the virtual dimmer setting, wouldn't it?

Or do I miss something?

I want a dimmer channel which, when it is set to 50%, lowers all DMX software fader values in the Output by 50%. So this MIDI dimmer fader should not alter the values of the individual channels but rather only the output values. Like the virtual dimmer described in my original post does. But that dimmer does only work with currently selected fixtures.