Installation of a new version of the Daslight software

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Gregory_D
Operating System: Windows

Installation of a new version of the Daslight software

Post by Gregory_D »

Hi everyone,
very pleased to be here after i just bought a DVCGold interface.

Sorry if it has already been asked in the forum, i can't find it however, i'm really new here but seeing the number of Beta and new versions of Daslight 4 nowadays, i wonder if i have to remove all the old version software before installing the new one (Beta to new version, or just old version to new one) on my Windows computer (desk or laptop) ?

I want to use Beta versions, creating show with it, but when the Beta becomes real and last version, do i have to remove all the beta version software before to install the last version released, or launch the new version installer will automatically replace the old version and update it ?

And can i use my old show created with the old version in the new one ? How to deal with custom effects, custom fixtures etc... when we change of software version ?

thank you very much for newbie questions, and sorry for my bad english...

Best Regards.
GREG.
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
TomHat

Re: Installation of a new version of the Daslight software

Post by TomHat »

Hey Greg,

It would be a good idea to uninstall the old Beta and install the new Official in this very case. At least so you don't get mislead by the software folder (that should be named "Daslight 4 Beta" since it was created with a Beta version). Though you should think of saving the "Import" folder that contains all your custom fixtures, located:

Daslight4 Beta\ScanLibrary\imported

and copying it at the same location in your new Daslight folder once it's installed.
When it comes to show and effect files, there will be no compatibility issue between versions of Daslight 4. You will be able to open them all as usual.

Hope this helps. Have a good day !

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

Thanks TomHat for your very fast answer !
(thanks for the backup tips)

Ok, so i have to uninstall a beta version to install an official one.

And is it the same way to install a newest official version compared with an old official version ?

I just don't want to remove unintentionally some drivers, or hardware tool etc.. each time i remove the software with the Windows uninstall utility... Obviously, it would be more convenient for everyone if a new version software can be installed without removing and overwriting the old one, but i don't know if it would be possible in the future.

Thx

(ETA ; is there a special thread to report bugs or suggestions about Beta version or should i have to create one myself with all my feedbacks and ideas ?)
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hey Greg,

All our setups work exactly the same way. I would even recommend re-installing USB drivers for each time you update your software, as the newest drivers could contain important fixes. Don't worry about uninstalling important things, the utility only uninstalls things it has installed before. And everything Daslight needs to run properly will come along during the installation.

There is no special thread for bugs reports and/or suggestions. You can post directly under Daslight 4 category. When it comes to Bugs, just make sure the topic name mentions the version (the date is enough) of the software you're using. And feel free to send us your suggestions too. We're always opened to new ideas to make Daslight better.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
Gregory_D

Post by Gregory_D »

Again, thank you very much for your answers, very fast and detailed, it's much appreciated !

Have a good week !
Blue is the Color !
Cheers from France...