Transferring configs from one machine to another ...... relative <-> real path problem!

The previous Daslight version

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

roeldm
Operating System: Windows

Transferring configs from one machine to another ...... relative <-> real path problem!

Post by roeldm »

Just bumped into something

I programmed my config in a map setup on the desktop on my home laptop with a submap icons for my ... custom icons / images / .... Creating custom control screens is one of the powerfull things I chose Daslight for.

After completing my settings I copied the setup folder to the desktop of my daslight laptop and when I start Daslight and open the file none of my icons / pictures are shown. I presume that is because of a different user name so the path to the icons folder is different so the icons / images I am pointing to are not found ...

Why program Daslight to store links to files with the real path? "C:\users\xxxxx \desktop\setup\icons\ ...... " and not with relative? "..\icons\" ......

With a relative path you can move folders without problems!!! Now portability of a setup between machines is 0000000000000! The only way this can ever work now is to work with a folder in the root of the drive like "c:\setup" so it's the same on all machines you copy the folder on.

Bummer I just found it out now, thats allmost 4 weeks of programming evenings down the drain, because now I can start adjusting all links to custom icons / images .... 11 pages with hunderds of buttons!

This kind of things is on page 2 of the programming for dummies book :-/
roeldm

Re: Transferring configs from one machine to another ...... relative <-> real path problem!

Post by roeldm »

The story continues,

Since I needed my config on the daslight laptop last Saturday, I thought about re-creating the same path as the path I used on my home laptop.

On my home laptop it was C:\users\xxxxx \desktop\setup\icons\ so I tried to re-create it on the other laptop, seems that one was installed in dutch so creating "C:\users\xxxxx \desktop\setup\icons\ ......" would not work (seems you can't create the english 'desktop' folder when a dutch "bureaublad" folder exists . Next step to a solution, change the entire laptop's language to English. After that, I managed to recreate "C:\users\xxxxx \desktop\setup\icons\" so my pictures were loaded when opening the config (remember, all of this could be prevented with relative path programming, portability of a config is 0000000"

Ok, now my config loaded correctly and I took the laptop to the venue. In my config I mapped a lot of scenes to bpm and pulse and I noticed that when triggering these, they did not respond. So I checked and all triggers were changed from xx to bpm / xxx to pulse to time...... You can believe I was pissed. I checked again on the other laptop at home and noticed they were already changed in this version to. This means that between saving versions ..... settings are lost. IS there an explanation for this?

Don't get me wrong, I love daslight, the edit / live / show concept ....... but, as an ICT professional, I don't get some of the programming decisions made in the program and notice there are some glitches that shouldn't be there in a production release :-/
roeldm

Re: Transferring configs from one machine to another ...... relative <-> real path problem!

Post by roeldm »

OK, I don't believe this?

I just installed the august official, loaded my config and in the show page, all my button mappings to the scene's in "edit" are gone ....

I don't believe it's by design that you have to remap 200+ buttons each time you upgrade to a newer version ?
TomHat

Post by TomHat »

Hello roeldm,

Very sorry to read that you're having difficulties using our software. We are trying to provide fixes for the bugs you've mentionned here and hope to make them available quickly. Could you please send me your show file for testing purpose ?

Regards,
TomHat
--
Daslight Support

Mail : [email protected]
Phone (French) : +33 (0) 616 427 588
Phone (English) : +44 (0) 7 481 811 500
roeldm

Post by roeldm »

If you pm me an email address i'll "wetransfer" them to you (28 mb each)

V20 -> version in the version before this release
V21 -> version in new daslight release (could be I remapped a couple of buttons already)
V22 -> version in new daslight release, more remapped buttons + I started mapping images to my new c:\daslight file location to have a portable config.
roeldm

Post by roeldm »

Transferred the files, looking forward for some info :)